Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orb Firmware Update

jwrich4
Aspirant

Orb Firmware Update

August 2018, received an email there was new firmware for my router. I installed it and bricked the router. It took 3 days (Netgear doesnt have overnight or one day service for it's non-business customers) to get a replacement router.Worked with TechSupport and got it talking to my satelitte and I asked if I should try and update the firmware again. The Tech almost came through the phone telling me "No, Dont do it!".

Now, I have another email telling me there is new firmware for my router. Pardon me if I'm a little gun shy, I dont want to go through another bricked router without having someone from TechSupport on the phone while doing the upgrade. But you cant just call and speak to someone, you have to write the Community. So, here I sit typing away. I want to ensure my network is secure but bricking a router is not the level of security I'm after, It cases lost wages. Any suggestions for a way forward?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orb Firmware Update

It would help to know the model of Orbi and the current software level.  Unless the tech told you some "secret", the Orbi is going to update automatically without asking.  Mine has updated at least 3-4 times and the first I know about it is when I read people in the community complaining about what broke.  If updating this one is going to "brick it", I would want that to happen during the warranty period instead of one day after it expires.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I just read more carefully. August of 2018?  Email notice?  When does your warranty expire?

Message 3 of 9
jwrich4
Aspirant

Current Firmware is 2.2.1.210

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Well, 2.2.1.210 is the latest software.  There is a beta version that some people are testing, but there has been NO announcement of an update.  Do you remember where that email came from?

Message 5 of 9
jwrich4
Aspirant

Warrenty expired a year prior. Because I was following NetGears suggestion and upgrading the firmware when it "bricked" they sent me another. I just spoke with Customer Service and explained my desire NOT to go through this again. They had nothing to except "it probably wont happen again." Comforting...

Message 6 of 9
jwrich4
Aspirant

It came from security@e.netgear.com

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

and it specifically mentioned the Orbi? (not some other product?)  Geez.  Wish I could get emails, too.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any FW updates please review the NG download site for recent and most current versions of FW. It's recommended to manually download FW files and install them yourself instead of using the Auto Update in the routers UI. Known problems with using auto update. If you have used the autuo update and your system doesn't seem to work well, do a manual FW installation using downloaded files and then factory reset and setup from scratch, if this is needed. 

I too get emails from NG about FW updates. It's up to you to check on it and review the information. Check the NG support pages first before taking action. 

@jwrich4 wrote:

August 2018, received an email there was new firmware for my router. I installed it and bricked the router. It took 3 days (Netgear doesnt have overnight or one day service for it's non-business customers) to get a replacement router.Worked with TechSupport and got it talking to my satelitte and I asked if I should try and update the firmware again. The Tech almost came through the phone telling me "No, Dont do it!".

Now, I have another email telling me there is new firmware for my router. Pardon me if I'm a little gun shy, I dont want to go through another bricked router without having someone from TechSupport on the phone while doing the upgrade. But you cant just call and speak to someone, you have to write the Community. So, here I sit typing away. I want to ensure my network is secure but bricking a router is not the level of security I'm after, It cases lost wages. Any suggestions for a way forward?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7