Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orb RB40 MAJOR DNS Issue

kmikol42
Tutor

Orb RB40 MAJOR DNS Issue

My $300 dollar Orbi investemnt appears to be a waste of money after 4 months use.  All of a sudden the Router stops responding to DNS requests.  I work in the network engineering field and have over 20 years of experience and ths issue is definalty with the router.  After searching forums about this issue, I am seeing tons of customers with the same type of problem, the issue does not appear to be new to Netgear.  I can expect bugs/hardware issue in network equipment, what I can except is a company that will not provide adequate support to address the problem, nor does it appear that they care about the problem since I see threads abou tthis across multiple product lines and from long time ago.

Issue - DNSMASQ service stopps responding - I can fix it by either toggling DNS servive from DHCP to static, or by telneting into the device and issue a command to restart the service.  /etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart   Issue resolves itself quickly by doing one of these two things.  Also when I hard code my PC to use a google dns server, issue does not happen on PC, all other devices that get thier DHCP from the Orbi router stop functioing.

Major Problem - With the pandemic I have kids e-learning at home, they are not tech savy and can't fix the issue themselves.

I tried to hard code thier school issued laptops to a static google DNS entry but as you expect the school does not allow students to get to the TCP/IP properties on the laptop.

Afer combing throught the forums, people have fixed the issue by purchasing a new NON Netgear router and placing the Orbi in AP mode only.   This is NOT a soltuion to the problem.  After spending over $300 for a mesh wifi system I expect all functionality to work and not have to procure addiational equipment to solve an issue that Netgear has on thier multiple products and is not fixing.

After contacting support , nice guy, but he was not able to asist since I did not have extended support.  Howver I am still under hardware warranty.  How do I know if this is a software bug or a hardware issue, could be either?  I asked to have the device RMA's but was unsuccesull.  In any case tech support was follwoing prototocols and said the router hardware is fine based on thier "system" info.  He had me check the lights, not sure if that is where the concllusion arose from. Without a support contract he was not able to provide any more help.

Woudld the call be differnt if I call back and say the router is not powering on. You can fry small electroncs pretty easy, woudl it then be covered under Netgears warranty?

I have owned multiple Netgear products in the past and have not had this type of issue.  This is one of the more expensive ones I purchased for personal use, and am very dissapointed.  I understand bugs happen, but this "bug" appears to be going on for a very long time with Orbi products, and Netgear is not addressing the issue for thier customers.

Needless to say I will not by buying any more Netgear products for my perosnal use or for my proffesional use.  NETGEAR you need to stand behind your products!!!

I am venitng my frustrations as well as starting my awareness campaign for anybody that is potentiatlly looking at Orbi product line.  STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 1 of 41
kickworm
Guide

I'm so glad I checked the forums! I just today started having the same issue as you. I'll be using the internet as I normally do and then my network icon will suddenly show that I'm not connected to the internet. I recently upgraded to a faster internet plan so I thought that was the cause. It was weird, though, because the modem was online (status lights all good) and the Orbi (RBK50 running latest firmware) was not giving me the purple ring indicating that something was wrong with the modem.

During my troubleshooting, I noticed the DNS error message thrown by my web browser. I got curious and manually set my computer's DNS to Google's (my Orbi is set to use OpenDNS). Low and behold, my network icon still showed that I was not connected to the internet, but I was able to surf the web. Thinking that something was wrong with OpenDNS, I logged into my Orbi and set the DNS to automatic. Problem solved.

That was about 5 hours ago. Fast forward to a few minutes ago and the same issue happened. Network icon on my computer indicated that I was not connected to the internet. Again, modem status lights were all good and Orbi was not displaying the purple ring. Manually set my DNS and was able to surf the web right away. That is when I came to the forums and saw your post and someone else's.

In the other post, someone mentioned that setting your NTP server to something other than Netgear's may solve the issue. Weird, but okay. Maybe the differences in time was causing sync issues with the DNS servers? I set my NTP server to time.nist.gov even though the correct time was displayed in the Orbi web GUI. Crossing my fingers that this does the trick because we're all working from home and the kids have online classes.

If I wake up in the morning and find the Orbi is doing the same thing, I may pick up another router (not Netgear) and put the Orbi in AP mode.

Good luck to the both of us!

Message 2 of 41
vajim
Master

Firmware?

Message 3 of 41
kickworm
Guide

The latest for RBK50, 2.7.2.104.

Message 4 of 41
vajim
Master

@kickworm wrote:

The latest for RBK50, 2.7.2.104.

Team @FURRYe38 is all over this

Message 5 of 41
kickworm
Guide

Oh yeah. I've seen their responses in the other posts. It's a shame. I've been running Orbi for a few years now and aside from my initial issues with my Nest cameras, it's been pretty solid. Even recommended it to a few of my friends. I've been thinking about purchasing a standalone firewall and putting the Orbi in AP mode because it lacks QoS. Looks like I'll have to go that route.

Message 6 of 41

Message 7 of 41
vajim
Master

@r0b0tvampire wrote:

See this post for your options:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

keep in mind this will work until the next firmware update

Message 8 of 41
maxxvelocity
Aspirant

Add me to this list. Have RBR50 v2.7.2.104 firmware, DNS issue start happening 3 days ago and really bad yesterday and today.

The only workaround I have so far is login to the router, Basic tab, Internet, and just click Apply. That somehow will reset the DNS back for a few minutes, then the problem just repeats.  On the PC I can change my DNS to Google public DNS for now but the rest of the devices are screwed.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 41
maxxvelocity
Aspirant

@r0b0tvampire wrote:

See this post for your options:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken-Short-Term-Fix-Options/m-p/20...

Just read that post. Yeah, sounds like DST on Sunday started this whole mess.

Message 10 of 41
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Orbi Community,

The issue has been forwarded already to engineers.

If you are willing to work on the issue, please send me a private message by clicking on this link and I will PM you requesting for more information. We appreciate your help working on this issue.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 11 of 41
BigVar
Aspirant

Ever since this last Sunday I've been having nothing but headaches with DNS errors. It mostly effects my cell phones and tablets. But there are a bunch of users on Reddit with the same issue. Daylight savings or a firmware update must be the issue. I've tried everything. I need help. My email address is Bigvar215@gmail.com
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 12 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@BigVar wrote:
Ever since this last Sunday I've been having nothing but headaches with DNS errors. It mostly effects my cell phones and tablets. But there are a bunch of users on Reddit with the same issue. Daylight savings or a firmware update must be the issue. I've tried everything. I need help. My email address is Bigvar215@gmail.com

Message 13 of 41
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071397/highlight/tru...

@BigVar wrote:

Please let them contact NG moderators 

Message 14 of 41
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@BigVar 

see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken/m-p/2071538/highlight/true#M1...

Have you tried to save your config, perform a factory reset and reload the saved config during setup ?

Message 15 of 41
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:

@BigVar 

see https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-DNS-and-DHCP-and-NTP-Broken/m-p/2071538/highlight/true#M1...

Have you tried to save your config, perform a factory reset and reload the saved config during setup ?

@Blanca_O   Please get this person to stop the personal attacks

Message 16 of 41
Bill01568
Tutor

I'm having the exact same problem (as best as I can tell) with my RBR20. It started the same day that I upgraded from firmware version (I wish I knew!) to V2.6.2.104. The version number makes me think that it's closely related to the RBR50 firmware that is having problems.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 17 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Also:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-2-7-2-104-firmware-Issues/m-p/2071667/highlight/true#M11...

@Bill01568 wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem (as best as I can tell) with my RBR20. It started the same day that I upgraded from firmware version (I wish I knew!) to V2.6.2.104. The version number makes me think that it's closely related to the RBR50 firmware that is having problems.

Message 18 of 41
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I believe they are reaching out to the moderators

Message 19 of 41
Bill01568
Tutor

Hi,

I did perform a factory reset (paperclip). I then restored my previously saved configuration because I've got custom DNS entries, I've got a range of static IP addresses for certain devices, and a bunch of other little changes that I would have forgotten about.

Is there a way I can extract all of my configuration (without having to perform a print-screen on every screen!) so that I can perform another factory reset, then configure from scratch using my preferred configuration? Having a text version of configs would be ideal so I could copy from the text, then paste values (MAC, IP, etc,) directly into the freshly reset configuration.

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Bill

Message 20 of 41
vajim
Master

@Bill01568 wrote:

Hi,

I did perform a factory reset (paperclip). I then restored my previously saved configuration because I've got custom DNS entries, I've got a range of static IP addresses for certain devices, and a bunch of other little changes that I would have forgotten about.

Is there a way I can extract all of my configuration (without having to perform a print-screen on every screen!) so that I can perform another factory reset, then configure from scratch using my preferred configuration? Having a text version of configs would be ideal so I could copy from the text, then paste values (MAC, IP, etc,) directly into the freshly reset configuration.

@vajim wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Bill

https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 21 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes after the reset. Hopefully you should be ok. 

What NTP settings did you end up using? 

@Bill01568 wrote:

Hi,

Bill

Message 22 of 41
CrimpOn
Guru

@Bill01568 wrote:

No. There is no method to get a text version of the Orbi configuration.  The backup file that Orbi creates is a binary format that may even be encrypted

I have used the method described in this post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset... 

This only provides a method to enter LAN assignment information, not the other setup information. For a single reconfiguration, this may be as much work as doing screen shots of the various setup pages.  Since this post was written, Netgear has added other tables that have me confused.  (Why an orbi_device_namexx and a device_name_v2_ntgrxx?)

That is why users who have spent a lot of time customizing the way Orbi describes devices consider Factory Reset to be the last resort.

An Orbi will function fine without any of this customization.  WE are annoyed when Orbi's "Attached Devices" shows bizarre names and incorrect device types for things, but they still function.

Message 23 of 41
capGrundy
Aspirant

Unfortunately this doesn't help those of us who didn't dish out for paywalled extended support.  If you are willing to help people who didn't pay, why the extortion to purchase a plan if there is the possibility of support when there is a real problem.

I have been a 20 or so year Netgear customer, and it used to be the support that kept me loyal.  Since the Orbi product at least, it seemed to be a turn towards making that a paid premium, instead of real strength of the company.

For those struggling, the option to do the crontab with the "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart" helped band aid the issue for now.  I refuse to do a factory reset, because the one time I did I needed help from support, and I know I won't have that help a second time.

If you are willing to work on the issue, please send me a private message by clicking on this link and I will PM you requesting for more information. We appreciate your help working on this issue.

Message 24 of 41
kmikol42
Tutor

Changing my time appears to be helping me with my issue. Have not experienced the dns bug in over 48 hours.

Disabled daylight savings, and changed time to from central to east to ensure time is correct without using DST.

This seems like the easiest fix until netgear fixes the issue with a code upgrade.
Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7