Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi (2.1.1.16) constantly dropping wifi connection to iPad Air 2

Kathy_J
Aspirant

Orbi (2.1.1.16) constantly dropping wifi connection to iPad Air 2

Please help before my Orbi's life comes to a violent end! My Orbi constantly disconnects the wifi signal to my iPad Air 2. It's not just that the signal is slow. It goes completely offline. I'm on my MacBook Pro immediately next to it and I'm not experiencing the same disconnect. I have two satellites (my house and property are long and thin and yes, I need that much coverage) but I'm in a central location and both are currently connected to the main router. They are stationary and the router/satellites are not fighting over control. 

The Orbi is running firmware v2.1.1.16

The iPad is running iOS 11.2.2 and is connected on the 2.4G band

My MacBook Pro also happens to be connected on the 2.4G band

There is another thread addressing this issue but the solution on that thread doesn't match anything similar to what I have. (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-dropping-WiFi-Connection-constantly-since-2-1-1-14/...) If something on my network is capable of being wireless, it's definitely not plugged in, and that goes for peripherals as well. I understand there's a 2.1.2 beta out there, but I can't experiment as my husband needs something very stable for work. He doesn't seem to be experiencing the same problem with his iPad, which is the same model but for some reason seems happy to reside on the 5G band. 

Thanks for any help you can give!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
Kathy_J
Aspirant

Re: Orbi (2.1.1.16) constantly dropping wifi connection to iPad Air 2

Adding some detail I probably should have added to the original post. Hey, it was late when I posted. 😉 Plus I have some updates.

The iPad is behaving the same way despite switching over to the 5G band

The 2.4G channel is set to "auto" (currently on channel 9)

The 5G channel is set to 48 

WPA2-PSK security

WMM ON for both bands

Daisy-chain topology OFF

Implicit beamforming OFF

MU-MIMO ON

Fast roaming OFF

I've experimented with turning things on and off in different combinations and am still getting wifi disconnects.

Thanks again!!

Message 2 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Can you supply a bit more detail about your environment? For example, is your husband's iPad the same model and using the same iOS version? Is it in the same room when you're experiencing the dropouts? Do any other devices on your WiFi network display similar dropouts? What about wired devices? Are you on the router or a satellite when the drops occur? Are there any neighboring WiFi systems (potential conflicts) nearby? 

Since you stated the problem appears to be with one device, I'd be suspicious of that device. Try deleteing your WiFi network from that device then power cycling (off, then on) that device and reconfiguring it to your network. I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. 

Message 3 of 7
Kathy_J
Aspirant

Thanks tucsontico. Here's my best attempt at providing more details...

@tucsontico wrote:

Can you supply a bit more detail about your environment? For example, is your husband's iPad the same model and using the same iOS version? Is it in the same room when you're experiencing the dropouts?

Same model. Same iOS. Generally the same location. He does have some dropouts but doesn't seem to be as many as me. Then again, I'm generally streaming video on mine so interruptions could be more obvious. I also use mine for much longer than he does. Funny (or not) as I'm typing this I'm having a particularly long outage. Just dead. Zero wifi. He's asleep so not using his.

Do any other devices on your WiFi network display similar dropouts? What about wired devices?

Sometimes my iPhone X (and prior to that my iPhone 7) seems to be a bit flaky on wifi but I never all out lose the wifi signal. I have a wired printer, and two wired hubs connected to the router and I haven't gotten any outage notices from either of them. 

Are you on the router or a satellite when the drops occur?

The router.

Are there any neighboring WiFi systems (potential conflicts) nearby? 

Tons. I live in Silicon Valley. I've attached a screenshot of what my wifi drop down looks like. And those are just the SSIDs that are being broadcast.

Since you stated the problem appears to be with one device, I'd be suspicious of that device. Try deleteing your WiFi network from that device then power cycling (off, then on) that device and reconfiguring it to your network. I'm not a WiFi expert by any stretch of the imagination. I'm merely trying to help out with some potential fixes. 

OK. Done. It doesn't seem to have improved anything. 😞 I've done both before, but not sure if it was in this order. Interestingly, as soon as I rebooted the iPad, I experienced a complete wifi drop on my MacBook Pro (sitting right next to it). This happens very rarely. I had to reenter my pw to get it going again. 

Thanks for the help! It's appreciated. 🙂 

Message 4 of 7
Rowver
Initiate

I was having similar problems with selected wifi devices on my orbi. I am running 3 satellites and one router for the orbi. (I always like having full wifi in all parts of the house) I kept having dropouts and at times certain devices just could not connect. I too tried fiddling with the same on-off settings for daisy chain, fast roaming, etc. I am currently trying "less is more". What I mean is I have since turned off 1 of the orbi satellites. It seems to give me less wifi coverage in one of the rooms but I noticed that my devices are less prone to drop the wifi or even fail to connect. It's worth a try to see if you try the same experiment and see if you get a similar result.
Message 5 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Sorry none my original suggestions helped. Since you mentioned you live in Silicon Valley, I have to ask if you live in a detached house or an apartment complex? Regardless, if your neighbors are broadcasting on the same WiFi channels as your ORBI, you're gonna have issues! Here's and article explaining why a stronger WiFi signal is not necessarily better: 

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

If you have a method of searching for WiFi signals and their channels/strength you can deconflict your ORBI channels pretty quickly. If not, I'd start by turning off the auto channel selection and fixing your ORBI channels.  I've got mine set on Ch 1 for 2.4 gHz and Ch 48 for 5 gHz. However, I live in a semi-rural area where my nearest neighbor is 100 yards+ away. Even at that range, their WiFi signals can be seen by my EnGenius ENS202 outdoor WiFi bridge! Now those signals are at low strength (about -90dBm) but that is enough to cause collisions (ref the article linked above). You may have to adjust channels by trial & error if you cannot search by frequency, channels & strength.

Additionally, when using your WiFi devices it is best not to have them next to each other when accessing internet unless absolutlely necessary. Again, normally it shouldn't be a problem but if one device is dropping and the other isn't, it (the connected one) may be stealing the bandwidth from the other. 

Finally, what firmware build are you using. I've had very good luck with 2.0.0.74. My environment is not very demanding, i.e., most of my devices are static ( IP cams, TVs, A/V equipment) and 75% are on the 2.4 gHz band. But I do have over 20 devices running simultaneously 24/7. I rarely "see" a dropout but, to date, streaming Netflix/Amazon Prime has been buffer free!

Hope you can get your ORBI tuned up for your home! Good Luck!

Message 6 of 7
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Thought of couple more things. Do you have the Guest Network enabled? If so, try turning that off unless you abosoluty need it. Also, try reserving IP addresses for each of your devices. You can do that through the "Advanced" tab and select the "Setup" folder then select "LAN Setup". I suggest entering a "starting and ending" IP address of your choice. (I use the total number of devices plus 4 for when friends drop in!) Then simply go through the list presented and "reserve" consecutive numbered IP address for all of the devices.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7