Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 2.1.4.16 Status Light Bug with Ethrenet Backhaul

toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

Orbi 2.1.4.16 Status Light Bug with Ethrenet Backhaul

When the Router Unit and Satellite Unit is connected via Ethernet as described in Netgear Article ID 000051205, the Orbi Router's LED remains Purple, even though the Router and Satellite is operating fine and there is no problem with WAN or LAN connectivity.

The only work around for the Purple light to disappear is to connect the WAN port of the Orbi router as well. This serves no purpose apart from using up another port on my Layer 2 Ethernet switch.

This is clearly a bug, the Internet/WAN port doesn't do anything, the Hub/Satellite works perfectly fine connected via their ETH1 ports.

Also, the Ethernet "backhaul" is not actually a backhaul, no user traffic passes through the backhaul link. I have a managed router with the Orbi in AP mode, I can see wireless and wired traffic on the Satellite goes directly out to the Internet without going through the Orbi Router. The backhaul term is misleading, the Orbi Router in AP mode doesn't do anything apart from Config Sync.

So NetGear, will this Status LED bug be fixed? There is absolutely no reason for me to have to connect the WAN port up in the main unit just to turn off the light.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello @toe

We are currently seeking for community members interested in participating in our beta testing firmware for Orbi (RBR50 & RBS50). We have received positive feedback from our beta testers regarding ethernet backhaul. If you are interested and would like to participate please respond to the thread using the link below: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Best regards,

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

@toe wrote:

When the Router Unit and Satellite Unit is connected via Ethernet as described in Netgear Article ID 000051205, the Orbi Router's LED remains Purple, even though the Router and Satellite is operating fine and there is no problem with WAN or LAN connectivity.

The only work around for the Purple light to disappear is to connect the WAN port of the Orbi router as well. This serves no purpose apart from using up another port on my Layer 2 Ethernet switch.

This is clearly a bug, the Internet/WAN port doesn't do anything, the Hub/Satellite works perfectly fine connected via their ETH1 ports.

Also, the Ethernet "backhaul" is not actually a backhaul, no user traffic passes through the backhaul link. I have a managed router with the Orbi in AP mode, I can see wireless and wired traffic on the Satellite goes directly out to the Internet without going through the Orbi Router. The backhaul term is misleading, the Orbi Router in AP mode doesn't do anything apart from Config Sync.

So NetGear, will this Status LED bug be fixed? There is absolutely no reason for me to have to connect the WAN port up in the main unit just to turn off the light.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7