Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 2.5.0.38 - Absolutely Dreadful on the Devices side

migsta
Apprentice

Orbi 2.5.0.38 - Absolutely Dreadful on the Devices side

Once again, Netgear releases another firmware update for absolutely no reason.  They add more device selection on the iOS app but the devices updating is horrendous.  It never sticks and you get different presentations of your device names and device type everytime you come in and out of the application.  I've wasted so much time trying to rename all of my device names and types but it's time to give up.  It's really embarrassing that Netgear continues to flounder on this very basic fundamental.  It happens with Orbi and all of their RAX series routers.  

Netgear, please take a queue from Google, Eero and Synology as their device names and selections are simple, intuitive and they work.  And, the Nighthawk iOS app is really bad with response times when using it.  There is a lot of just waiting sometimes for the next screen to draw up.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
JMU1998
Luminary

Message 2 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

As mentioned, yes, the naming of devices by users is confirmed and a known issue. NG IS aware of it. 

Please be patient while they fix it. 

Please post about any and all Orbi app issues and experiences your seeing in the Orbi app forum and let them know about it.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app

Good Luck. 

@migsta wrote:

Once again, Netgear releases another firmware update for absolutely no reason.  They add more device selection on the iOS app but the devices updating is horrendous.  It never sticks and you get different presentations of your device names and device type everytime you come in and out of the application.  I've wasted so much time trying to rename all of my device names and types but it's time to give up.  It's really embarrassing that Netgear continues to flounder on this very basic fundamental.  It happens with Orbi and all of their RAX series routers.  

Netgear, please take a queue from Google, Eero and Synology as their device names and selections are simple, intuitive and they work.  And, the Nighthawk iOS app is really bad with response times when using it.  There is a lot of just waiting sometimes for the next screen to draw up.

Message 3 of 19
migsta
Apprentice

And so why release a firmware update and not address this issue.  Particularly, when the firmware update introduces new device types that can be selected when working with the devices.  Just makes no sense on Netgears part.  And, this issue has been oustanding forever it seems.  It's really ALL over the place with respect to what the device listing will read.  I had most of them renamed and the issue seemed to be primarily with them going back to Device Type Unknown instead of the the actual Device Type selected.  Now, it's completely broken with Device Names going back to their original value and the Device Type other than what was selected/saved as well.  Poor planning, poor execution, poor testing and poor deployment resulting in very poor customer experience. 

Message 4 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@migsta wrote:

And so why release a firmware update and not address this issue.  

You're not a part of the 'I gott have the next FW Update Club'....you you?

Message 5 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

NG will release when they get it fixed. I presume they are working on it. The are aware of it. 

Please be patient. 

@migsta wrote:

And so why release a firmware update and not address this issue.  Particularly, when the firmware update introduces new device types that can be selected when working with the devices.  Just makes no sense on Netgears part.  And, this issue has been oustanding forever it seems.  It's really ALL over the place with respect to what the device listing will read.  I had most of them renamed and the issue seemed to be primarily with them going back to Device Type Unknown instead of the the actual Device Type selected.  Now, it's completely broken with Device Names going back to their original value and the Device Type other than what was selected/saved as well.  Poor planning, poor execution, poor testing and poor deployment resulting in very poor customer experience. 

Message 6 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG will release when they get it fixed. I presume they are working on it. The are aware of it. 

and.....DON'T do manual updates.....get it?

Message 7 of 19
migsta
Apprentice

So live in fear about doing firmware updates and leave well enough alone. I don’t eve recall the last time the unit had a firmware version that worked with devices. Firmware updates are suppose to make things better and not worse. Not the case here.
Message 8 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@migsta wrote:
So live in fear about doing firmware updates and leave well enough alone. I don’t eve recall the last time the unit had a firmware version that worked with devices. Firmware updates are suppose to make things better and not worse. Not the case here.

well at some point (maybe before your last update) your system will or was working.  So in the future, LEAVE IT ALONE.  No fear...just stop clicking your heart away.

Message 9 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

I do manual updates all the time when FW is available. Factory reset the system and setup from scratch. Zero issues after this. 

Be sure to do backup configurations to file as well. Saves times after you get the system setup. 

Latest version of FW works. My RBK50 online for over 5 days with out issues. Less the naming of devices issue which is known to NG. 

@migsta wrote:

Message 10 of 19
migsta
Apprentice

And so what if it’s known to Netgear when they don’t fix it. The devices issue has been there for months and it’s strife across the Rax series routers and Orbi. And, why release this firmware with added features for device management when you don’t fix the core device issue to begin with.
Message 11 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I do manual updates all the time when FW is available.

WHY??

@migsta wrote:

Message 12 of 19
BarracudaMan
Aspirant

Why was this not a known issue BEFORE the firmware was released. Did they not do any sort of QA testing before sending this out to everyone? This is just a lousy firmware release. Maybe it fixed some peoples problems, but its broken on one of the fundamental features. Just plain poor QA testing.

I chose Netgear because they have always been an industry leader in home Wi-Fi systems, but this is just bad development. 

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Naming of the devices was only known after other users and I found and confirmed it. So it's now "known" issue and NG is aware of what we found. 

It's doesn't effect operation of the system and is only a inconveinence to users. If your bothered by it, the you can downgrade FW versions. Or wait for NG to fix it. 

@BarracudaMan wrote:

Why was this not a known issue BEFORE the firmware was released. Did they not do any sort of QA testing before sending this out to everyone? This is just a lousy firmware release. Maybe it fixed some peoples problems, but its broken on one of the fundamental features. Just plain poor QA testing.

I chose Netgear because they have always been an industry leader in home Wi-Fi systems, but this is just bad development. 

Message 14 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Naming of the devices was only known after other users and I found and confirmed it. So it's now "known" issue and NG is aware of what we found. 

that would be you found NOTHING, it was only AFTER it was released did things astray.

@BarracudaMan wrote:

Message 15 of 19
migsta
Apprentice

Netgear support called me and they were not aware whatsoever of this issue. They took as much information as they could about the issue. If this is truly a known issue to them, that is what the support team should be saying. I am sorry but Netgear is ALL over the place on issues in general including this one. I have no confidence this will get resolved anytime soon or at all.
Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

The issue was acknowledged by a forum moderator. We have confidenced that they have reported it to NG engineering and to there resources. Phone support my not be on of those resources. Reporting this issue is more important and getting it into Engieering review. 

v38 is working otherwise. I've had no other issues with v38. Other as well:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/ORBI-RBK50-RBS50-Tips-Tricks-Hidden-Secrets-etc/m-p/1818889/hi...

IF users are not happy with v38 then you can freely downgrade to prior working version.

Message 17 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The issue was acknowledged by a forum moderator.

acknowledged to who....you?

All I ever say pertaining to an annoucement was:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Firmware-v2-5-0-38/m-p/1814925#M73541

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Care to give v40 a try? Looks like one user said the naming of devices seems fixed for him. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Where-are-the-device-names-located-when-in-a-telnet-session/td...

@migsta wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7