Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 3000: Max Satellites

hariou
Aspirant

Orbi 3000: Max Satellites

Hi. In the Pro version, there router supports unofficially 6-7 satellites. Is this the same for the home version? Anyone try more than three?
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi 3000: Max Satellites

Yes, forum members have reported as many as 6 satellites on one Orbi residential system.

Message 2 of 7
hariou
Aspirant

Thanks. As follow up question, in the documentation there is an example of using a hub/router for wired backhaul. Is this the highest performance setup? I imagine it only becomes relevant if alot of traffic and clients. What percentage wise does it help?

Thnx
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Wired LAN connections will always have better performances over wireless. 

Wireless backhaul speeds on 50 series systems is 1733Mpbs This is only between the RBR and RBS. 

Wireed backhaul and LAN cable connections is 1000Mbps. In this configuration, 1000Mbps is the max rate between the RBR and RBS and any LAN connected device plug into the LAN ports on the RBR or RBS. Lan ports are max rated at 1000Mbps. 

@hariou wrote:
Thanks. As follow up question, in the documentation there is an example of using a hub/router for wired backhaul. Is this the highest performance setup? I imagine it only becomes relevant if alot of traffic and clients. What percentage wise does it help?

Thnx

Message 4 of 7
hariou
Aspirant

Thanks. To clarify question for wired connections is using a hub better than a chain link topology?

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@hariou wrote:
What percentage wise does it help?

I have never seen a post comparing maximum performance when many satellites are connected with ethernet rather than using the standard 5G WiFi backhaul.  There simple are too many variables.  The concensus on the forum is that "wired is better", if you can do it.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes using a non managed, non green ethernet Gb switch would be perfered. 

@hariou wrote:
Thanks. To clarify question for wired connections is using a hub better than a chain link topology?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7