Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 50 blocking Homekit connections

ChrisLF
Aspirant

Orbi 50 blocking Homekit connections

Insyalled new Orbi RBK50 yesterday and downladed the latest firmware.  Compared to my previous Apple Air Extreme router, download speeds to ios devices generally doubled (although, wierdly, upload speeds were cut in half).  However,  a dozen of my previously installed Homekit devices now show up as unresponsive in my Homekit app on my IOS devices (a Hue light controller, which is connected to the Orbi hub by etherenet, and its wirelessly connected hue bulbs work fine).  I tried re-intiaslizing one of the unresponsive devices, but although my iphone could recognize the device from its code, it could not connect it to the network.  This is likely because the iphone is connected to the Orbi's 5Ghz band while these devices are, as usual, only able to connect on the 2.4 Ghz band.  The same problem existed with Apple's system, but you could solve the problem by choosing which band the ios device connected too.  I see no way to do that with Orbi's software.  I presume many must be having the same problem.  I chatted with support but their suggestions didnt address the band problem and they ended up blaming Apple. Any suggestions out there?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi 50 blocking Homekit connections

You don't have to change the power levels on the Orbi for 5Ghz anymore, you can temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID while you configure 2.4Ghz only devices to see if that helps any. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@ChrisLF wrote:

Insyalled new Orbi RBK50 yesterday and downladed the latest firmware.  Compared to my previous Apple Air Extreme router, download speeds to ios devices generally doubled (although, wierdly, upload speeds were cut in half).  However,  a dozen of my previously installed Homekit devices now show up as unresponsive in my Homekit app on my IOS devices (a Hue light controller, which is connected to the Orbi hub by etherenet, and its wirelessly connected hue bulbs work fine).  I tried re-intiaslizing one of the unresponsive devices, but although my iphone could recognize the device from its code, it could not connect it to the network.  This is likely because the iphone is connected to the Orbi's 5Ghz band while these devices are, as usual, only able to connect on the 2.4 Ghz band.  The same problem existed with Apple's system, but you could solve the problem by choosing which band the ios device connected too.  I see no way to do that with Orbi's software.  I presume many must be having the same problem.  I chatted with support but their suggestions didnt address the band problem and they ended up blaming Apple. Any suggestions out there?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Personally, I have never had the issue you're experiencing. However, the most widely used method I've seen in the forums is to turn down the power on the 5 gHz band to make the iPhone connect to 2.4 gHz. Do that by clicking on the "Advanced" tab; then select "Wireless Settings" and change the "Transmit Power Control" to zero. Save the changes and wait for the reboot to settle at least 10 minutes. Then setup up your Homekit devices via 2.4gHz WiFi. After rechecking they work properly on 2.4 gHz, ramp up the 5 gHz to normal settings. Good luck!

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't have to change the power levels on the Orbi for 5Ghz anymore, you can temporarily disable the 5Ghz SSID while you configure 2.4Ghz only devices to see if that helps any. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM.

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@ChrisLF wrote:

Message 3 of 5
ChrisLF
Aspirant

Thanks, FURRYe38.  I didn't find the Beamforming option but changed the others; this didn't work initially.  Then I set the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels manually to 1 and 48 respectively.  This changed my iphone connection (previously always at 5 Ghz) to 2.4Ghz.  I still couldn't connect to my existing homekit devices, thoiugh, and had to reset all of them.  Two Koogeek devices are still refusing to connect, but the others all did, so most of my network is back on line.  I have reset the switches to original configuration and my iphone is connecting again at 5Ghz but the homekit devices are still connected.  I appreciate your help.  Really, though, I hope Netgear can come up with an easier solution.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you were able to get most of the devices back online. Most of the problem is with these other IoT devices and how there setup software seems to required only the setup device being on 2.4Ghz and not taking into consideration that most setup mobile devices are both 2.4 and 5Ghz compatible and both are on the same side network. Why these Mfrs are not allowing for more compatibility between the frequencies for wifi systems that use Smart Connet is unknown. The IoT device could care less about 5Ghz since most of them only see 2.4Ghz. It's the setup software that seems to have a problem. 

Enjoy. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7