Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 50 - flashing white / magenta satellites

Jds101
Aspirant

Orbi 50 - flashing white / magenta satellites

I purchased the Orbi50 system from costco last year. It has worked great until a couple of days ago when I noticed the RBR flashing white and all the RBS magenta. I checked the modem and it indenticated nothing was connected. To troubleshoot I disconnected the orbi and plugged my laptop directly into the modem and my laptop worked fine. So clearly the issue is with Orbi, I tried calling netgear but they want $100 to trouble shoot?!?! What a scam... they should stand behind their product.

I tried reseting the RBR, holding in the button for 15 seconds but nothing happens, just keeps blinking white, no amber. The Orbi app is unable to connect as well.

Any idea what caused this and how to fix?
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

Message 2 of 12
Jds101
Aspirant

MY COMMENTS PROVIDED IN CAPS BELOW. THANKS FOR THE GUIDANCE.

What Firmware version is currently loaded? IDK, WOULD THIS BE DONE MANUALLY? I HAVEN'T HAD TO TOUCH THE SYSTEM SINCE I PURCHASED IT.
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too? XFINITY / MOTOROLA MB7420 - NO ISSUES WITH THE MODEM, IT CONNECTS DIRECTLY WITH MY LAPTOP WITH NO ISSUES

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? TWO STORIES. 8,000 SF - WHY WOULD THAT BE A FACTOR CONSIDERING I HAVE HAD THE SAME SETUP FOR THE LAST YEAR.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? I HAVE 4 SATELLITES THAT ARE ROUGHLY 30 FEET APART. I HAVEN'T MOVED THEM SINCE FIRST INSTALLATION
30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I CAN'T CONNECT SO NO WAY TO CHANGE
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? NO NEIGHBORS IN RANGE. If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

I GUESS MY MAIN QUESTION IS, IF THE SYSTEM HAS BEEN UNTOUCHED HOW IS IT THAT IT ALL OF A SUDDEN COMPLETELY FAILS. SEEMS LIKE NETGEAR SHOULD SUPPORT ITS PRODUCTS. WHY WOULD I INVEST IN THEM AGAIN IF THE EXPECTATION IS ONE YEAR OF DURATION L.
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to log in to the RBRs web page and find the FW version that you have loaded. 

Possible your Orbi got a FW udpate and hasn't processed correctly. 

RBS need to be on same version of FW as well as RBR. 

Message 4 of 12
vajim
Master

@Jds101 wrote:
I purchased the Orbi50 system from costco last year. It has worked great until a couple of days ago when I noticed the RBR flashing white and all the RBS magenta. I checked the modem and it indenticated nothing was connected. To troubleshoot I disconnected the orbi and plugged my laptop directly into the modem and my laptop worked fine. So clearly the issue is with Orbi, I tried calling netgear but they want $100 to trouble shoot?!?! What a scam... they should stand behind their product.

I tried reseting the RBR, holding in the button for 15 seconds but nothing happens, just keeps blinking white, no amber. The Orbi app is unable to connect as well.

Any idea what caused this and how to fix?

Magenta usually means the device has lost connection 

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 5 of 12
Jds101
Aspirant

I tried factory reset, held a paper clip for over a minute and the RBR still flashes white, never amber.
Message 6 of 12
vajim
Master

@Jds101 wrote:
I tried factory reset, held a paper clip for over a minute and the RBR still flashes white, never amber.

Dead?

how old?

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF both ISP Modem and RBR for 30 seconds, then back ON with the modem first, then RBR...

Can you access the RBRs web page at 192.168.1.1 with a web browser? 

@Jds101 wrote:

Message 8 of 12
Jds101
Aspirant

I purchased it last year...
Message 9 of 12
vajim
Master

@Jds101 wrote:
I purchased it last year...

I'd keep trying the reset procedure 

there have been cases from some anxious souls where a firmware update left their Orbi dead.  

Message 10 of 12
Jds101
Aspirant

After spending $89 and two hours on the phone with netgear they told me the RBR50 failed and I will need to purchase a new unit. Purchased the Orbi system just over a year ago and now they want me to purchase again? No thank you, I will go with a new company that stands behind their products and supports their customer. What a joke, how long until they take this post down!?!
Message 11 of 12
vajim
Master

@Jds101 wrote:
After spending $89 and two hours on the phone with netgear they told me the RBR50 failed and I will need to purchase a new unit. Purchased the Orbi system just over a year ago and now they want me to purchase again? No thank you, I will go with a new company that stands behind their products and supports their customer. What a joke, how long until they take this post down!?!

I'm sorry to hear that

wishing you all the best. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7