Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi 50 not allowing connection to streaming services

Stella01
Aspirant

Orbi 50 not allowing connection to streaming services

I just installed the Orbi. My problem is that none of my streaming services accessed through a Roku, Nvidia shield or AppleTV will play content. I am able to access the interfaces all apps on these devices but Netflix, HULU, or any other paid service will not play. I get an error message from the provider that “sorry could not access that file”. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing. Too bad, since the coverage and speeds seem excellent. On the other hand I can play my own content via Plex from my home server fine. Thoughts?

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
Stella01
Aspirant

Re: Orbi 50 not allowing connection to streaming services

Success!! I am having zero issues now that I have set the Orbi to AP mode. Thanks SO much for your help and patience. I am a little surprised there was not more upfront info concerning how different modems require different setups. However, thanks for everything. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
Stella01
Aspirant

I failed to mention that I am able to stream from my iPad. However, not from any other streaming device. I have now tried 2 different Orbi RK50’s and do the the setup 3 times. Each time I get great speeds, good coverage but I am locked out of these paid apps for some reason. I even did a fresh install of the Nvidia Shield thinking that the apps were being influenced by the my older WiFi service. I also was unable to to do a simple app upgrade on the iPad with the Orbi installed. Would just get a message”unable to upgrade at this time”. As soon as I took the Orbi offline and went back to my old Nighthawk router everything worked as normal. Again, would like to take advantage of this system but I am encountering so many problems.

Message 2 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 12
Stella01
Aspirant

Wow, lots of things!

the firmware was updated to the latest, sorry don’t know the #. The modem is the stock AT&T modem/router with a fiber connection. I have since uninstalled the Orbi so some of the info is not available. However, your question about AP mode versus Router mode sounds like it might be an issue. My setup was done via netgear mobile app and everything was done in “auto-mode”. My sassumtion it was setup in router mode. This might be a problem since my AT&T modem is also a router, which from digging a little bit, would suggest it should be set up in AP mode. Maybe this is my problem. One of devices that would not connect did give me an error message of “Port 80 cannot find the expected ....” so a problem with port 80, whatever that might suggest. Of course, this is beyond my technical grasp, but I would love to get this working. I will try all your suggestions and report back. Thanks so much.

Message 4 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, having a router at the modem will cause problems. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 5 of 12
Stella01
Aspirant

Thanks. I can certainly easily do #2 & 3, since the WiFi is disabled on my AT&T modem. What is the advantage of #1? Obviously, talking with AT&T about anything is a hassle and a crapshoot.

I would need to have the Orbi router be able to also connect via wire, Also the satellite. Is this available in scenario 2 & 3? Sorry for being so unsophisticated regarding these things, but this stuff is SO beyond my understanding. Thanks for your patience

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

@Stella01 wrote:

Thanks. I can certainly easily do #2 & 3, since the WiFi is disabled on my AT&T modem. What is the advantage of #1? Obviously, talking with AT&T about anything is a hassle and a crapshoot.

I would need to have the Orbi router be able to also connect via wire, Also the satellite. Is this available in scenario 2 & 3? Sorry for being so unsophisticated regarding these things, but this stuff is SO beyond my understanding. Thanks for your patience

From my reading AT&T is horrible about letting their devices be placed in modem only mode. So option 1 probably isn't much of an option.

I've never used option 2 that @FURRYe38 listed.

I have used option #3 with orbi and it worked great. Only downfall is losing some of Orbi's advanced functions such as Circle/Armor/advanced lan settings/etc.

You do need the main Orbi connected back to your ATT box via a ethernet wire. The satellite can be hooked up via the wireless backhaul or a wired backhaul. Either will work for both scenarios.  

Message 7 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Advantage of Option #1 is to limit traffic over a router thats built into a modem. If you can get the modem into modem only mode then this will just help pass thru the traffic from the ISP to the Orbi router with out any additional processing. However as mentioned, ATT and some modems are not supporing of fullying being bridged so Try Option #2 so you can keep use of the main features of the Orbi router in router mode, or try #3. 

Don't worry about the technical side of things here. Why we are here to help out. Smiley Wink

@Stella01 wrote:

Message 8 of 12
Stella01
Aspirant

Thanks so much for all the help! I will give scenario 3 a shot today and report back.

Message 9 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Stella01
Aspirant

Success!! I am having zero issues now that I have set the Orbi to AP mode. Thanks SO much for your help and patience. I am a little surprised there was not more upfront info concerning how different modems require different setups. However, thanks for everything. 

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working now. Please mark your post as solved so others will know. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7