Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi 753S (costco) and the amazon echo or google dot

6172crew
Guide

Orbi 753S (costco) and the amazon echo or google dot

I have seen a few others having issues with getting the smart speakers to play, or stream but none of the issues are mine and I see no fixes.

I have fiber to the prem, 250mbps and use my Orbi for wifi only. Anything wired doesn't go through the orbi rbk753s. The orbi satelittes are not wired, and I am running firmware V3.2.16.22 and the app shows the 3 smart speakers, and I can ask what time it is, or what the weather is and get a answer from the device, but they won't stream music or they buffer for 20 minutes.  "Alexa, play pandora"  "ok, here is your station" but nothing plays.  This includes audible books, amazon music, or other streaming services.  The google one does the same thing.  It will respond, but never actually plays. If I turn on the ISP wifi they play just fine through that but not orbi. have never logged into my orbi system other than the moblie app.  These devices are very popular so I was wondering why this hasn't been fixed.  The form I am filling out doesn't even list my RBR753S, so I had to choose the only one close to being what I am working with. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
vajim
Master

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@6172crew wrote:

I have seen a few others having issues with getting the smart speakers to play, or stream but none of the issues are mine and I see no fixes.

This installation is a classic "Double NAT" (one router behind another) https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT 

I did a few searches for "Alexa and double-nat" and it appears that this is a topic of interest.

The Orbi "app" has no method of changing the Orbi from "router" to "access point" (AP) mode.  It might be useful to use the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net), the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup, Router/AP Mode to change the Orbi into AP mode and see if that affects music playback.

(I can test this, but need to buy an inexpensive echo.)

Message 3 of 17
6172crew
Guide

I turned my orbi into a AP, and still have issues.  No specific Network Address Translation buttons that I can see but my orbi plugs direectly into the calix fiber to prem modem.  I am not using a switch, or any other devices. All of my smart home stuff is on my guest network, with a total of 14 devices. 

Message 4 of 17
vajim
Master

another possible option:

use the orbi router ONLY

get rid of whatever other router you're using IF you can

Message 5 of 17
6172crew
Guide

I don't think I can do that, but I will try. It isn't a cable modem so maybe I can bypass it. I do have that wifi turned off atm, but the gui for it is pretty much locked down to customers. The login from the tech didn't work but I was able to find it on google and able to get in and at least turn on and off the wifi signal so it wont mess with my 753s signals. 

Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@6172crew wrote:

I have fiber to the prem, 250mbps and use my Orbi for wifi only. Anything wired doesn't go through the orbi rbk753s. The orbi satelittes are not wired, and I am running firmware V3.2.16.22 and the app shows the 3 smart speakers, and I can ask what time it is, or what the weather is and get a answer from the device, but they won't stream music or they buffer for 20 minutes.  "Alexa, play pandora"  "ok, here is your station" but nothing plays.  This includes audible books, amazon music, or other streaming services.  The google one does the same thing.  It will respond, but never actually plays. If I turn on the ISP wifi they play just fine through that but not orbi. have never logged into my orbi system other than the moblie app.  These devices are very popular so I was wondering why this hasn't been fixed.  The form I am filling out doesn't even list my RBR753S, so I had to choose the only one close to being what I am working with. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Also is Armor enabled on the RBR? 

Message 8 of 17
vajim
Master

Message 9 of 17
6172crew
Guide

it is a Calix gig router, a GS2020 most likely. When I logged into it last night it brings up a customer side to be able to turn on and off the wifi, and sends to you a wizard, but gives no options to play around with anything else so i might need to call uo the local provider and see if they can do more.  Issue is the amazon echo works fine using the ISPs wifi, so it certainly points towards netgear orbi as the problem and there are a few members here complaining about the same thing. I do notice the echo isn't connected to the closest satellite upstairs which is odd but its able to tell me the time and weather, just wont stream or it buffers really bad, or it wont continue at all. I just moved into my home, so I am busy with other things and can't spend the time with customer support.  Like some, I work in the industry and have done some basic troubleshooting before joining this forum.  Only thing I have not tried is moving the smart speaker deals over to the non-guest wifi.  

Message 10 of 17
6172crew
Guide

Furry, it is indeed enabled, the armour protection that is.  

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Try setting CTS to 2347 on the RBR. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

Please visiting the Orbi AX forum as well. 

Good Luck. 

@6172crew wrote:

it is a Calix gig router, a GS2020 most likely. When I logged into it last night it brings up a customer side to be able to turn on and off the wifi, and sends to you a wizard, but gives no options to play around with anything else so i might need to call uo the local provider and see if they can do more.  Issue is the amazon echo works fine using the ISPs wifi, so it certainly points towards netgear orbi as the problem and there are a few members here complaining about the same thing. I do notice the echo isn't connected to the closest satellite upstairs which is odd but its able to tell me the time and weather, just wont stream or it buffers really bad, or it wont continue at all. I just moved into my home, so I am busy with other things and can't spend the time with customer support.  Like some, I work in the industry and have done some basic troubleshooting before joining this forum.  Only thing I have not tried is moving the smart speaker deals over to the non-guest wifi.  

Message 12 of 17
vajim
Master

Please visiting the Orbi AX forum as well. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
6172crew
Guide

Thanks, I will dig deeper this weekend and give the above a try. At this time I am in AP mode, and I have been in the AX forum looking at the current threads about the same issue.  Again; thanks for taking the time to sugggest a few things. I will report back what I find so others can get things working like they should. 

Message 14 of 17
vajim
Master

@6172crew wrote:

Thanks, I will dig deeper this weekend and give the above a try. At this time I am in AP mode, and I have been in the AX forum looking at the current threads about the same issue.  Again; thanks for taking the time to sugggest a few things. I will report back what I find so others can get things working like they should. 

Good luck....Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

(Amazon has not brought my Echo Dot yet, but Home Depot had Google Mini "on the shelf")

I set up a classic "Double NAT":

Cable modem (only)-> Orbi RBR50 (LAN 192.168.1.1) -> Orbi RBR50->(LAN 10.0.0.1)

Connected smartphone  to the 10.0.0.1 Orbi.  (Thus "two routers, or 'Double NAT')

Configured Mini and told it to use the 10.0.0.1 Orbi network.

Said, "Hey Google. Play KUSC" (classical radio from Southern California). Plays fine.

Said, "Hey Google. Play Beethoven" (free youtube) Plays fine.

So, my conclusion (thus far) is that "Double NAT" is not likely to be the cause of the problem, at least for Google Mini.  I may have led us off on a tangent.

Thinking more about it, I am not surprised.  A LOT of WiFi customers just "plug in and go", paying no attention to whether the ISP device is a modem or router.  Lots of them even leave the ISP WiFi active.  If these home speakers could not deal with Double NAT, then there would be overwhelming complaints and the setup documentation would say something about the problem.

I have previously experimented with a "Triple NAT" (three routers) and found no effect on typical activity (email, web browsing, etc.) This would totally kill things like opening ports, VPN, etc.

It is really frustrating to have "no clue" how this could be happening.

Message 16 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

My (very cute, and only) Echo Dot arrived.  Set it up on my "Double Nat'd" Orbi using smartphone connected to the same Orbi.

Plays music the same as my two other Alexa devices that are connected to the primary Orbi. (Sonos One and Orbi RBS40V).

Still have "not a clue" what would cause either Echo or Nest music players to announce that they were about to play and then go silent.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7