Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC2200 RBK30 with no Modem

stelbry
Aspirant

Orbi AC2200 RBK30 with no Modem

I purchased a single orbi with satellite today with hopes of having the same WiFi signal downstairs that I have upstairs where my old router is currently. The problem I’ve ran into is that I’m assuming I’m going to also need to purchase a modem. I’ve only ever had a router which is the linksys e1200. I don’t have cable. Stream Netflix and Hulu. Play Xbox and use my laptop for mostly school work. So, I guess my first question would be, do I have to have a modem to use the orbi or is there another way around it? Also, is there maybe a cheaper solution to my problem. The orbi isn’t cheap and if I’m going to need to also purchase a modem I’m not sure the price is worth fixing this issue at this point. Any ideas?
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

How do you get internet services with your old router?

Who is your ISP?

Message 2 of 6
stelbry
Aspirant

My internet provider is North State Communications.
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Is there a modem or just a wall outlet with a lan cable for internet access?

Message 4 of 6
stelbry
Aspirant

Unless my linksys e1200 router also doubles as a modem I’m not sure I have one. My linksys router is located next to where north state did their installation for my internet and they installed a small box plugged into the outlet but I’m not really sure what that even is. I just know that currently my old router is upstairs and everything I do downstairs is completely wireless including my Xbox where I’m currently having to stream all my apps because my internet connection isn’t strong enough to stream them directly through my smart tv without a really bad picture. But upstairs where my router is located I never have any issues streaming from my smart tv. It’s also a wireless connection.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

No the linksys is only a router, is is probably where the Orbi router should go.

I would connect the Orbi to this box you say the Linksys was connected too and walk thru the setup wizard on the Orbi router. See if it will fully connect.

You may need to contact your ISP and have them help you make sure your using whats needed to connect to there services. If this is the box that the linksys was connected to, then this is probably a modem or some form of device that gets ISP services and changes it to ethernet connection for a WAN port on wireless routers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7