Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC2200 Slow as Molasses

pruiett
Aspirant

Orbi AC2200 Slow as Molasses

My Orbi rounter and satellite are 9 months in operation.  My ISP (Comast) alloted speed is 150Mbps.  I noticed when connected wirelessly to my Orbi WiFi router my speed test (xfinity.speedtest.net) shows a download speed of around 30Mbps or less.  When I connect to the Comcast wireless router (Arris), I get speeds of arounf 140Mbps.  Before suggesting solutions, please consider what I have already done and which produced NO speed increase.

1.  Reset/powered off-on my router and its one satellite.

2.  disconnected the satellite.

3.  Checked the firmware revision and it is up to date.

4. Disabled "Daisy-Chain Topology" (saw this mentioned somewhere).

Honestly, I am so weary of Netgear hype, followed by my purchases, followed by POOR performance after a short time.  Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? You said this is a modem router combo, if so, 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:

IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).
Disney Circle: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/WARNING-Firmware-2-2-1-210-is-junk/m-p/1667485/highlight/true#...

@pruiett wrote:

My Orbi rounter and satellite are 9 months in operation.  My ISP (Comast) alloted speed is 150Mbps.  I noticed when connected wirelessly to my Orbi WiFi router my speed test (xfinity.speedtest.net) shows a download speed of around 30Mbps or less.  When I connect to the Comcast wireless router (Arris), I get speeds of arounf 140Mbps.  Before suggesting solutions, please consider what I have already done and which produced NO speed increase.

Honestly, I am so weary of Netgear hype, followed by my purchases, followed by POOR performance after a short time.  Any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 2 of 6
pruiett
Aspirant

ARGH!!  I replied to all your questions below and posted, but they did not show up on this board!  Here we go again!

Your last tip to disable 20/40 MHz Coexist did the trick!  OOPs.  Spoke too fast.  Back down to crap speeds on the Orbi (<50MBps) after a few minutes.  Whne using the Xfinity wif, get 145 MBps.  Switch back to Orbi and get 40Mbps.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris TG1682G.
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? It is in Router mode.

You said this is a modem router combo, if so, 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.  No option available to do this.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.  No option available to do this.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop  No option available to do this.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2,900 two story wood frame.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.  Router to satellite 45 ft.  Router on 1st floor, satellite on 2nd.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  One neighbor 500 ft. away.

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.  This helped some, but still resulted in 1/4 the speed expected.

IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  This did the trick!  Speeds now at 12ms, 135Mbps, 6 Mbs.

@pruiett wrote:

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
Chuck_M
Mentor

The most simple solution -- if it is available is to talk to your ISP and ask them if they have JUST a modem to replace your router/modem combo.

Message 4 of 6

@Chuck_M wrote:

The most simple solution -- if it is available is to talk to your ISP and ask them if they have JUST a modem to replace your router/modem combo.

Or buy your own modem. ISP's generally supply cheap and nasty boxes that meet their needs rather than those of the customers.

Look for a list of compatible or a user group for your ISP and ask there.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@pruiett wrote:

ARGH!!  I replied to all your questions below and posted, but they did not show up on this board!  Here we go again!

Your last tip to disable 20/40 MHz Coexist did the trick!  OOPs.  Spoke too fast.  Back down to crap speeds on the Orbi (<50MBps) after a few minutes.  Whne using the Xfinity wif, get 145 MBps.  Switch back to Orbi and get 40Mbps.

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Arris TG1682G.
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode? It is in Router mode.

Ok, your modem will probably be the cause of the Orbi problems. As it already has  built in router and wifi.

You said this is a modem router combo, if so, 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.  No option available to do this.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.  No option available to do this.

You don't have access the modems UI? 

3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem leaving it in router mode and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop  No option available to do this.
There is the option of AP mode ON the Orbi router. However you still need to turn OFF the WIFI on the ISP modem. I woud ask the ISP to help with the modem. Also as mentioned by others, if your ISP supports customer bought modems, get a modem only, something with out a built in router and wifi, then connect the Orbi system to it and run the Orbi in router mode. You'll be good then.  

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 2,900 two story wood frame.
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.  Router to satellite 45 ft.  Router on 1st floor, satellite on 2nd.

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?  One neighbor 500 ft. away.

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.  This helped some, but still resulted in 1/4 the speed expected.

IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).  This did the trick!  Speeds now at 12ms, 135Mbps, 6 Mbs.

@pruiett wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7