Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC2200 connected to non-wifi router

BigIsland
Follower

Orbi AC2200 connected to non-wifi router

I have an existing network (non-wifi) setup for my server and desktops (Spectrum Modem to Router to Ethernet Switch to Computers).

I want to create a WiFi network with the Orbi AC2200, that doesn't cause issues for the networked computers.  The modem is typical and only has one output RJ45 jack.  How do I make this work?

Possible solutions?

a) Modem to Ethernet Switch

b) Ethernet Switch to existing Router (and existing setup)

c) Ethernet Switch to Orbi WiFi router

a) Modem to existing Router (and existing setup)

b) Ethernet Switch to Orbi WiFi router (create second network and setup to bridge routing or extend existing network?)

Mahalo!

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
st_shaw
Master

To accomplish your stated goal you should leave everything as-is and plug Orbi into your switch and setup Orbi to use Access Point mode. 

Alternatively, you can remove your existing router and replace it with Orbi, and run Orbi in router mode.

In both cases all devices, wired and wireless will be on one network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

To accomplish your stated goal you should leave everything as-is and plug Orbi into your switch and setup Orbi to use Access Point mode. 

Alternatively, you can remove your existing router and replace it with Orbi, and run Orbi in router mode.

In both cases all devices, wired and wireless will be on one network.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch? Managed or Non Managed?

@BigIsland wrote:

I have an existing network (non-wifi) setup for my server and desktops (Spectrum Modem to Router to Ethernet Switch to Computers).

I want to create a WiFi network with the Orbi AC2200, that doesn't cause issues for the networked computers.  The modem is typical and only has one output RJ45 jack.  How do I make this work?

Possible solutions?

a) Modem to Ethernet Switch

b) Ethernet Switch to existing Router (and existing setup)

c) Ethernet Switch to Orbi WiFi router

a) Modem to existing Router (and existing setup)

b) Ethernet Switch to Orbi WiFi router (create second network and setup to bridge routing or extend existing network?)

Mahalo!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7