Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC300

Snofire
Aspirant

Orbi AC300

About 2 weeks ago when (almost to the day) when Facebook had it's huge meltdown I noticed that my network would no longer go to a few different https sites. I have factory defaulted the whole Orbi system and still won't go through. I have bypassed the router and plugged straight into the cable modem (not one from the local ISP) and I'm able to get through just fine. I've tried to add https in the security blocked services area and that made no difference. If I go onto a VPN connection it works fine as well. What else could possibly be preventing me from getting to these sites? Running firmware v2.2.1.210

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28

Accepted Solutions
Snofire
Aspirant

I contacted Support and got it fixed now after about 30 minutes on the phone. There was some hidden setting that was unchecked that was blocking some of the https sites. 

View solution in original post

Message 24 of 28

All Replies
Snofire
Aspirant

Also downgraded firmware and updated to 2.3.0.32. No change. 

Message 2 of 28
Chuck_M
Mentor

A few questions:

• What DNS are you using?
  • You have not updated to V.44 firmware because?
  • Do you have Circle or Access Control enabled?
  • What equipment is connected to your Orbi (make model of modem)
Message 3 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

• What DNS are you using? Get Automatically from ISP
  • You have not updated to V.44 firmware because? I don't see where I'm able to download or upgrade to that
  • Do you have Circle or Access Control enabled? No
  • What equipment is connected to your Orbi (make model of modem) Arris Surfboard SB6190
Message 4 of 28
plemans
Guru

@Snofire wrote:
  • What DNS are you using? Get Automatically from ISP--Try to change DNS providers on your router and see if that helps. Here's an article on how to change it. You can use several different dns providers and the article has a link to the public dns providers -https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-on-most-popular-routers-2617995
  • You have not updated to V.44 firmware because? I don't see where I'm able to download or upgrade to that--it hasn't been loaded onto the website yet but if you check automatically it might be there.  Advanced tab-->administration-->firmware update-->check for update
  • Do you have Circle or Access Control enabled? No
  • What equipment is connected to your Orbi (make model of modem) Arris Surfboard SB6190

Message 5 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

Hi Plemans,

I tried OpenDNS, no luck with that.

I've also tried checking for updates lastnight and today for v.44 with no luck on that. I had to manually update to v.12 before getting to v2.3

Message 6 of 28
plemans
Guru

@Snofire wrote:

Hi Plemans,

I tried OpenDNS, no luck with that.

I've also tried checking for updates lastnight and today for v.44 with no luck on that. I had to manually update to v.12 before getting to v2.3

so to summary:

1. Internet sites all work if plugged directly into modem.

2. Internet sites work if computer is plugged into router and running a vpn

3. Not all sites work if no vpn running on computer.

A. Is it blocked on all your devices or only one?

so something is blocking when the traffic is being sent. And its purposeful blocking because its aimed at certain websites and not all of them. this would leave your options to: service provider blocking the website, disney circle blocking, those sites being on a block list, or a different blocking service setup. Especially if the work when directly connected to modem. 

Here's what I would try next if it was me.

1.You say you've tried opendns. did you manually go in and change you dns setting on the router as the article suggested? Try cloudfare or cloud9. I've used them both and they've worked well. 

2. deleting any genie app, netgear app, orbi app from all your devices. maybe a saved setting is getting transfered over when you reset it. After deleting them all, then go through the orbi settings menu and do an erase on the device. When it first boots and sets up, do those sites work. Only setup the most basic stuff to make sure nothing is being transfered over. 

I'd try those 2. Again, I know you said you've done these, but follow the steps and try again. If the blocking is only for specific websites and not all websites it narrows what can be causing it.  

Message 7 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

Yes If I plug directly into the modem everything works fine. If I go Modem to Orbi Router then the sites get blocked and happens on all devices that are connected to it. Once I go on VPN then the sites work. I've tested on mobile with and without the wireless. I don't use Orbi app on any device, only the 1 desktop computer w/ the web browser. Factory defaulted Orbi system again, didn't make any changes, and still can't get to the sites. 

I should note that I'm on v2.3.1.44 

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI about your ISP modem:

https://badmodems.com

Message 9 of 28
Chuck_M
Mentor

You may want to check to see if you auto-updated to .44.  That is only done automatically, so log onto the web gui and see if it kicks it off. 

I am not sure if they are doing it by geolocation or what.

That update in itself may resolve any issues.

Ref DNS...

I use 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 and the third is from my ISP.  The first two are google and I have not had any issue.  I recommend them.

Sounds like your setup is pretty straight forward.  I would also power off that surfboard, disconnect all cables for a few minutes and then reconnect and power  up.

Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if changing DNS on the Orbi router helps. 

@Snofire wrote:

Yes If I plug directly into the modem everything works fine. If I go Modem to Orbi Router then the sites get blocked and happens on all devices that are connected to it. Once I go on VPN then the sites work. I've tested on mobile with and without the wireless. I don't use Orbi app on any device, only the 1 desktop computer w/ the web browser. Factory defaulted Orbi system again, didn't make any changes, and still can't get to the sites. 

I should note that I'm on v2.3.1.44 

Message 11 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

My guess is it auto updated. Made no difference, issue still happening. 

Message 12 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

DNS change again made no difference. 

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you powered down both ISP modem and Orbi for 1 minute. Unplug the power from the ISP modem. Unplug the WAN cable from the Orbi to the modem. Connect a Laptop or PC directly to the modem. Then back On after a minute. After the modem syncs, check internet connectivity thru the modem. Might give it a few minutes to ensure the PC gets an IP address from the modem. Check web sites and services. 

Do ALL devices have problems accessing different sites when connected to the Orbi? 

Message 14 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

When it pertains to these couple of sites then YES all the devices that are connected to the Orbi have the issue. 

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try directly with the modem with out the Orbi online. 

Message 16 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

I have already tried bypassing the Orbi system and it then works fine. I have reset factory reset the Orbi, hardwired into it without many any changes and still unable to get through. There is something on the orbi that is blocking this. No sites or services are blocked in the system that I can see. 

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like you and this person are having same issue:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-and-Google-websites/m-p/1727637/highlight/true#M57592

I would run thru what I suggested with this person and see if the problem can be corrected. Please follow the steps. Please let us know how it goes. 

Message 18 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

Ok. I can tell you that I have tried basically what you out in that area. 

Reset the modem for 30 seconds. 

Factory reset the Orbi and hardwired pc to it. set DNS to something else, changed dhcp to 1.100 range, and rebooted

Firmware on router and on satellite are on v.44

Cleared history on all browsers, flush dns, restarted. 

No difference. I'm going to try a completely different router and see if that makes any difference. 

Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Frustrated ok. 

Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes...

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Smiley Frustrated ok. 

Message 21 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

Tried what you asked and still a no go. I actually went out and bought a netgear ac1200, hooked that up, put Orbi system in AP mode and able to get to everything now without VPN connection. So something is hidden in the Orbi system is blocking all the sites I'm having issues with. 

Message 22 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and ask for help on this. Possible RMA maybe needed too:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

You seem to be the only one having this issue right now. 

@Snofire wrote:

Tried what you asked and still a no go. I actually went out and bought a netgear ac1200, hooked that up, put Orbi system in AP mode and able to get to everything now without VPN connection. So something is hidden in the Orbi system is blocking all the sites I'm having issues with. 

Message 23 of 28
Snofire
Aspirant

I contacted Support and got it fixed now after about 30 minutes on the phone. There was some hidden setting that was unchecked that was blocking some of the https sites. 

Message 24 of 28
plemans
Guru

Can you post on here where the setting was so that if future people have this problem, they'll know where/what the setting is? And what its called?

Thanks!

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7