Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 RBK 50/53 set up with Virgin Media Hub3.0

JYG83
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 RBK 50/53 set up with Virgin Media Hub3.0

Hello all, 

I am contemplating investing in an Orbi AC3000, either RBR50 (1 routeur x 1 satellite), or RBR53 ( x 2 satellites). Function of the answers to my questions.

A bit of background:
- My coaxial access point is in an AV cabinet located in the corner of my flat, which is lateral flat of ~2,200sqft. Currently I have severe wifi interferences in this area. I cannot connect to the Virgin Hub3.0 wirelessly (either playing around the 2.4&5Ghz bands and respective channels). I bypass it putting it in Modem mode and connecting a Netgear Router R6300 to it. Still, I can't access on Wifi to the Netgear on either 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz when I am nearby; but at least I can connect the 5Ghz when I am a bit further from this area, ~8/10 meters away, in another room.
- I need access to the ethernet LAN ports of the router in the AV cabinet, as a gigabit unmanaged swicth is connected to it (Netgear GS116), as well as Sonos connect equipment (themselves connected to amplifiers). Thus the Router's ethernet LAN ports need to remain active in the AV cabinet. 

- I want to get 2 clear WiFi access points: one located rather at the center of the flat (which will be less subject to interferences than where the AV cabinet is located), and the second one in the opposite area from the AV cabinet.

- I see 2 options:

#1: RBR50 - In the AV Cabinet, the Virgin Hub 3.0 remains in Router Mode, hence its ethernet LAN ports remain active. I however disable both its 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels, as well as the guest network, so it becomes only an ethernet based router. I used the bottom ethernet LAN port (the only one available in modem mode) to connect via in-house ethernet backhaul the Orbi Router, which will be located at the center of the flat. This implies that I connect the Orbi Router to the Virgin Hub 3.0 still in router mode. Would the Orbi Router work? Then I set up wirelessly the Orbi Satellite. Probably the favoured option, if doable.

#2: RBR53 - In the AV Cabinet, the Virgin Hub3.0 is switched into Modem Mode. I connect the Virgin Hub3.0 modem into the yellow WAN port on the Orbi router. I use the Orbi Router LAN ports to connect the gigabit unmanaged swicth located in the cabinet, as well as the Sonos connect system. Then I want to set up Orbi Satellite#1 in an ethernet backhaul configuration (satellite to be located in the same area as the Orbi Router in option #1) and Satellite#2 wirelessly. What order should I proceed with?
(i) should I directly connect Satellite #1 with ethernet first; or
(ii) should I set it up wirelessly first, then connect it with ethernet?
(iii) for Satellite#2,
(iii-a) should I connect it wirelessly to the router first at the same time as Satellite#1, or
(iii-b) should I first set up Satellite#1 (according to (i) or (ii)), and then set up wirelessly Satellite#2? Could Satellite#2 be wirelessly configured by communicating with already configured Satelitte#1, or should it be set up wirlessly with the Orbi router, before being moved in another location where Satellite#2 will communicate via dedicated 5Ghz channel with Satellite#1?

Between option 1 & 2, #1 is obviously cheaper, but the question is whether i can connect the Orbi Router to the Virgin Media Hub 3.0 in router mode (with disabled WiFi signals to prevent interferences between Virgin hub router and Orbi router).

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
JYG

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 RBK 50/53 set up with Virgin Media Hub3.0

2200 sq ft is plenty of room for just the Orbi Router. You wouldn't really need a Satellite if you centraly placed the Orbi router well.

Any wifi sources should be separated as far appart from each other as possible. 3-6ft min.

Recommended configuration if you want to use the Orbi router as you main host router, bridge the ISP modem fully so it passes the public IP address to the Orbi router. This helps elliminate a double NAT condition.

If this can't be done with the ISP modem, then use the modems DMZ feature for the IP address that the Orbi router gets from the ISP modem.

Or use the ISP modem as your main host router, disable all wifi radios on the modem and use the Orbi system in AP mode, connected LAN to LAN. Not WAN to LAN.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7