Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) and IPTV via Telenor

Noroddveien
Apprentice

Orbi AC3000 (RBR50) and IPTV via Telenor

Hi, I recently subscribed to Telenor (ISP) fiber internet here in Norway. I previously had cable internet with coaxial TV connections. With Telenor´s fiber network, coaxial connections to TVs are no longer possible. All TVs need to be connected to the home network via ethernet when connected as IPTVs. This works fine when using the Telenor-supplied Zyxel P8702N router. The router connects to a T-We decoder and then to the TV. However, I have a state-of-the-art Netgear Orbi mesh system which includes a RBR50 router. I would think the RBR50 is technically capable of handling IPTV but am having problems. I am trying to connect as follows:

Fiber ONT -> RBR50 -> T-We -> TV

Fiber ONT : NOKIA G-010G-P

Router: Netgear Orbi, RBR50

TV decoder, T-We: ADB 5743CDX

TV: Sony Bravia (connected via HDMI cable to decoder)

I have set RBR50 up using IGMP proxying which I understand enables multicast. SIP ALG is also disabled. In addition, I have enabled IPv6. After this setup, everything is 90% fine, however the TV picture will freeze now and then. Also, I need to turn the T-We box off/on to get back to a live broadcast when it freezes.

I’ve read several articles stating that VLAN may be required for IPTV but have not succeeded in getting it to work (the internet connection fails etc).

Anyone out there that has succeeded in setting up RBR50 with IPTV? I do not want to have to use the Zyxel at all (e.g. bridge mode). 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Eureka!!

IPTV is now working 100% together with my Orbi RBR50 (without my ISP (Telenor) router). I upgraded my RBR50 from FW V2.2.1.210 to V2.2.1.212 and finally to V2.3.1.48 and suddenly all my IPTV problems went away. Thank you Netgear for the fix.

View solution in original post

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 19 of 22

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

You can try option #2 and see if this works for you, if not, I recommend you give option 3 a try...

@Noroddveien wrote:

Hi, I recently subscribed to Telenor (ISP) fiber internet here in Norway. I previously had cable internet with coaxial TV connections. With Telenor´s fiber network, coaxial connections to TVs are no longer possible. All TVs need to be connected to the home network via ethernet when connected as IPTVs. This works fine when using the Telenor-supplied Zyxel P8702N router. The router connects to a T-We decoder and then to the TV. However, I have a state-of-the-art Netgear Orbi mesh system which includes a RBR50 router. I would think the RBR50 is technically capable of handling IPTV but am having problems. I am trying to connect as follows:

I have set RBR50 up using IGMP proxying which I understand enables multicast. SIP ALG is also disabled. In addition, I have enabled IPv6. After this setup, everything is 90% fine, however the TV picture will freeze now and then. Also, I need to turn the T-We box off/on to get back to a live broadcast when it freezes.

I’ve read several articles stating that VLAN may be required for IPTV but have not succeeded in getting it to work (the internet connection fails etc).

Anyone out there that has succeeded in setting up RBR50 with IPTV? I do not want to have to use the Zyxel at all (e.g. bridge mode). 

Message 2 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Thanks for your quick response. However, please note that I asked for a solution that involves not having to employ the Telenor Zyxel router. I´m sure there must be a way to configure RBR50 so that it can handle both data and IPTV without the Zyxel. By the way, the "modem" in the case of my fiber optic connection is the Nokia G-010G-P.

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to ask your ISP if there router can be removed and then replaced by the Orbi system. If so, then have them give you information on any configurations needed by Orbi to work in place of there router. Some ISPs require use of there router so reason why I gave suggestions to connect the Orbi system to there router. 

By the looks of the manual for the Nokia, it seems that the Nokia handles the input SC/APC fiber optic connection as well as output of RJ45 LAN port: Page 1-4

https://fccid.io/ANATEL/03080-16-08076/Manual-do-Produto/F30E7DF7-7334-4F5D-9FAF-FC6FB21184B1/PDF

You probably need the Nokia in place. 

Hope the ISP will be able to answer this for you. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31032/Does-Orbi-replace-my-modem-or-gateway

https://kb.netgear.com/31100/How-do-I-set-up-my-Orbi-system-to-work-with-Fios

@Noroddveien wrote:

Thanks for your quick response. However, please note that I asked for a solution that involves not having to employ the Telenor Zyxel router. I´m sure there must be a way to configure RBR50 so that it can handle both data and IPTV without the Zyxel. By the way, the "modem" in the case of my fiber optic connection is the Nokia G-010G-P.

Message 4 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Noroddveien wrote:

I was in Oslo yesterday. It's a beatiful city indeed 🙂

Yes, you need VLAN for IPTV for this to work properly. All what you can do now in Orbi to prioritize IPTV packets -if you want the T-We to be connected via Orbi- is to make sure WMM is enabled which is by default.

In fact VLAN tagging was enabled sometime ago in the software but it was removed in later software. I can see that the related parameters are still there so I really hope that Netgear Orbi team will soon get it back in a future software.

https://kb.netgear.com/000038854/How-do-I-set-up-a-bridge-for-a-VLAN-tag-group-for-my-Orbi-WiFi-Syst....

For now, I think your best option is to use the ISP router (the Zyxel) before Orbi. 

Please have a look at this as well (in Swedish): https://forum.telia.se/forums/topic/13532-netgear-orbi-iptv-problem/

Message 5 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Thanks FURRYe38, yes I am begining to realize that I will need to contact the ISP (Telenor) for configuration details. I had hoped to avoid calling their expensive service telephone (26NOK/min). And, yes, the Nokia ONT definitely needs to kept in place.

Message 6 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Thanks ekhalil, Interesting to hear about the Swedish guy with the same problem. As mentioned, I tried setting up a VLAN connection as described in the Orbi instructions, but then lost my Internet connection (just like the Swedish guy). Guess I´ll need to set a different VLAN ID etc. I´m not too sure about the concept of tagging or untagged.  

Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, thanks for letting us know. I know it can be a pain to contact ISPs. Hopefully they can help you with the system. 

Again, if you don't get anywhere with the ISP, change the Orbi to AP mode and let the ISP modems be your router. Try to keep it easy for you and with less hassel I guess. 

@Noroddveien wrote:

Thanks FURRYe38, yes I am begining to realize that I will need to contact the ISP (Telenor) for configuration details. I had hoped to avoid calling their expensive service telephone (26NOK/min). And, yes, the Nokia ONT definitely needs to kept in place.

Message 8 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Hi again,

Just thought I would let you know that I ran Pingplotter and found that my router experiences packet loss every 10 minutes (see attachment). I´ve rebooted but it didn´t help. I been putting off factory reset as I have several static IPs that will need recreating.:-(

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this first, do a BACKUP of the routers configuration to file. Save this file in a safe place. 

Then do a factory reset and setup from scratch. Don't load the config file immediately. Run some ping plotter tests. Ping the router with the router connected to the ISP services and run a test with out the Orbi connected to the ISP services. Then ping thru the router to the ISP modem/ONT. Also run ping plots to www.pingplotter.com instead of google. 

@Noroddveien wrote:

Hi again,

Just thought I would let you know that I ran Pingplotter and found that my router experiences packet loss every 10 minutes (see attachment). I´ve rebooted but it didn´t help. I been putting off factory reset as I have several static IPs that will need recreating.:-(

Message 10 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would do this first, do a BACKUP of the routers configuration to file. Save this file in a safe place. 

Then do a factory reset and setup from scratch. ........

There is absolutely no meaning to do factory reset if you will then restore the data from a backup. A factory reset is needed to clean possible data corruption, making a backup/restore when factory resetting will just have 0 effect!

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

He'd be doing a factory reset then testing first BEFORE loading his config file. SO this step is valid! 

Message 12 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Hi ekhalil and FURRYe38,

I performed a factory reset today and ran PingPlotter before doing a restore with my configuration file. This time, no packet loss problems with the router. Then I restored the router with my backed-up configuration file and checked again with PingPlotter (target www.google.com). Again the problem with serious packet loss every 10 minutes. I noticed that before my restore, the router was setup with IPv4 only (no packet loss problem). My configuration file included IPv6 and PingPlotter was using the router´s IPv6 address when pinging (packet loss problem). I therefore disabled IPv6 in my configuration and eureka, no more packet loss problem. Is this a ISP (telenor) problem or local at my router? The guy who installed the fiber cable and ONT specifically told me that IPv6 had to be enabled in my router. I still have the IPTV problem but it is working a lot better.

Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear that you narrowed it down. Great troubleshooting process. 

Ya, I believe there maybe issues with IPv6. You should need to take the Orbi out of the mix and test ping plot directly with the ISP services with IPv6 enabled on the PC. See if you find any PL there. If not, then it maybe due to a problem on the Orib, which I would file a support ticket and inform NG of what your experiencing with and with out the Orbi being online when IPv6 is enabled. 

You also might check with NG about some beta FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Looking-for-a-select-group-of-Orbi-Community-members-that-are/...

Might see if you can get this beta loaded and see if IPv6 is still a problem not. 

@Noroddveien wrote:

Hi ekhalil and FURRYe38,

I performed a factory reset today and ran PingPlotter before doing a restore with my configuration file. This time, no packet loss problems with the router. Then I restored the router with my backed-up configuration file and checked again with PingPlotter (target www.google.com). Again the problem with serious packet loss every 10 minutes. I noticed that before my restore, the router was setup with IPv4 only (no packet loss problem). My configuration file included IPv6 and PingPlotter was using the router´s IPv6 address when pinging (packet loss problem). I therefore disabled IPv6 in my configuration and eureka, no more packet loss problem. Is this a ISP (telenor) problem or local at my router? The guy who installed the fiber cable and ONT specifically told me that IPv6 had to be enabled in my router. I still have the IPTV problem but it is working a lot better.

Message 14 of 22
ekhalil
Master

@Noroddveien wrote:

.......... I therefore disabled IPv6 in my configuration and eureka, no more packet loss problem. Is this a ISP (telenor) problem or local at my router? The guy who installed the fiber cable and ONT specifically told me that IPv6 had to be enabled in my router. I still have the IPTV problem but it is working a lot better.

Great that you are network is getting better! It can be that the ipv6 settings are not correctly set, are you sure that all settings you have in the ipv6 page are correct and aligned with what your ISP is offering. Here is an ipv6 guide for Nighthawk routers but it should also be good for Orbi:

https://kb.netgear.com/24009/How-do-I-use-auto-configuration-to-set-up-an-IPv6-Internet-connection-o...

Message 15 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Just a short update.

My ISP has not set up their Zyxel routers with IPv6. Their router setup includes:

- IPoE encapsulation

- IGMP Proxy

- IGMP Snooping (blocking mode)

- IPv4 only

- SIP ALG disabled

I am running my RBR50 with IPv4 only, SIP ALG disabled, IGMP proxy and have my IPTV running 95% perfect now but exactly every 10 minutes the picture will freeze and come back after 5-10 seconds. Weird as it doesn´t seem to be the packet loss problem that I had with IPv6. Still hoping NG will include IGMP Snooping in future firmware. (I´ve called this to NG´s attention). Also, I borrowed a new RBR50 from the seller but it performs no better.

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

We know that you ping plotted the RBR, have you plotted the ISP ONT/router with out the RBR online? 

Is the Orbi in router or AP mode? 

@Noroddveien wrote:

Just a short update.

My ISP has not set up their Zyxel routers with IPv6. Their router setup includes:

- IPoE encapsulation

- IGMP Proxy

- IGMP Snooping (blocking mode)

- IPv4 only

- SIP ALG disabled

I am running my RBR50 with IPv4 only, SIP ALG disabled, IGMP proxy and have my IPTV running 95% perfect now but exactly every 10 minutes the picture will freeze and come back after 5-10 seconds. Weird as it doesn´t seem to be the packet loss problem that I had with IPv6. Still hoping NG will include IGMP Snooping in future firmware. (I´ve called this to NG´s attention). Also, I borrowed a new RBR50 from the seller but it performs no better.

Message 17 of 22
ProZac
Tutor

Just to clarify to  the questions above, the Norwegian (and most Swedish/Danish that I have tested) ISP's are running clean IGMP Snooping in blocking with no VLAN tagging what so ever. This is by far the simplest way to run it aswell. (some older PPP xDSL solutions might need it doh)

Should think this would be an easy addon to the already existing SW running on the ORBI's?

Most of the large ISP's in Norway (where I live), never use any VLAN tagging. This has been testet on several different models, I even tested this before writing this post to make sure nothing was changed. Asus RT router, simply by enabling IGMP proxy and snooping and the TV works on all LAN ports. Tested this with two different ISP's, both works fine. No VLAN tagging or other changes was made.

Message 18 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Eureka!!

IPTV is now working 100% together with my Orbi RBR50 (without my ISP (Telenor) router). I upgraded my RBR50 from FW V2.2.1.210 to V2.2.1.212 and finally to V2.3.1.48 and suddenly all my IPTV problems went away. Thank you Netgear for the fix.

Message 19 of 22
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Isn’t the IGMP Proxy switch there to disable function when on?  My test with the switch off (default) allowed my IPTV settop box to work perfectly.  

Message 20 of 22
Noroddveien
Apprentice

Yes, of course.

The IGMP Proxy disable box must unchecked.

Also, it seems to work with option box set to IGMPv2.

See attached screenshot.

Message 21 of 22
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@Noroddveien wrote:

Yes, of course.

The IGMP Proxy disable box must unchecked.

Also, it seems to work with option box set to IGMPv2.

See attached screenshot.

Interesting!   I will state I'm not familiar with all forms of IPTV.  Here in the States, ATT is one of the larger companies delivering IPTV service via a product called Uverse, and it's always been stated the service is based on IGMPv3.  The thread is useful to me if I ever get the chance to connect the RBR50 directly to an ONT device.  The biggest drawback, albeit a minor one, is that running smartphone or tablet on the Orbi network and leaving the IPTV boxes on the gateway network excludes the ability of using the Uverse app to use WiFi to control the settop boxes.  I can remedy the problem of course by moving both the DVR and the regular STB onto the Orbi network, which I may eventually do anyway  to simplify things.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7