Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 Tri-Band 1 Router 2 Satellite Setup Help!

MickyNicky
Follower

Orbi AC3000 Tri-Band 1 Router 2 Satellite Setup Help!

Hi, I was wondering if the below set up is possible. 

Few things to note.

- Two floors house with basement

- Modem is in basement

- Internet speed is Verizon Fios Gigabits 

- Have Ethernet cable installed into the walls of the house (each room has Ethernet port).

The Ethernet cables inside the wall are too old, won’t produce Gigabits speed. So I purchased the Orbi to fully optimize the Gigabit speed.

It seems like with three orbi I am not getting good speed on the second floor of the house. I am getting about 80mbps down 60mbps up. (Worse than my old tplink modem connected to the Ethernet cable)

Current setup

1. Orbi Router in the basement (good speed) 

2. Orbi Satellite (a) first floor (good speed) 

3. Orbi Satellite (b) second floor (bad speed) 

I am wondering if the following setup is possible. If the below set up is possible please let me know to connect satellite to verizon modem.

1. Connect 1 Orbi satellite (a) to Verizon modem using Ethernet cable (in the basement)

2. Put the Orbi Router on the 1st floor connecting to Orbi satellite (a) wireless

3. Put Orbi satellite (b) on the 2nd floor connecting to Orbi Router wireless. 

If you have other suggestions please do let me know.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

Re: Orbi AC3000 Tri-Band 1 Router 2 Satellite Setup Help!

Your setup is correct, so its likely that the placement of the satellite on the second floor is the problem. You should move it as Netgear suggests so that each is covering opposite sides of the house. You don't want them directly above or below one another because of how radio waves propagate around buildings.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 Tri-Band 1 Router 2 Satellite Setup Help!

What is the distance between the router and satellites? 30 feet in between is a good starting point.

what is the sq feet of your home?

Building materials?

Whats the model# of the ISP modem? Built in router here by chance?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7