Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC3000 and iOS devices connection issues

vincent42
Tutor

Orbi AC3000 and iOS devices connection issues

Hi everyone. Hoping to get some tips on how ot resolve my issue. I have intermittent connectivy problems but only with iOS devices, both iPads and iPhones. No issues with Macbooks or PCs or Samsung Galaxy or Smart TV.

The issue is that the signal would become very weak and sometimes to the point of unusability. One minute the wifi speed could be 150 mps and then the next it would crawl at 0.5 mbps. This seems to be happening when the device is 25-30 feet away from the router (seems that the router is causing the issue more often than the satellite). This issue is not happening with other devices, as I stated; I tested them side by side.

I am on the latest firmware V2.5.2.4. I am on my second Orbi. I thought may be I got a defective one but it's extremely unlikely I got two defective ones in a row. I am using the default configuration with the only change that I enabled MU-MIMO.

I can't imagine that this is an unresolved issue. iOS devices are way too common for Netgear not to have fixed it. But fixed what? If it is fixed, it clearly isn't in the latest firmware since I'm using the latest. Is the issue with the devices themselves? I am on older models, like iPhone 5 plus but the iPads are newer and they have the same problem.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

You might update to v40 since it's more recent than v4:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Message 2 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had issues with the modem - it works great with other routers. It is in bridge mode.

I am on the latest firmware - v2.5.2.4. Orbi says No new firmware version available.

Are you saying that I can reset the router to factory default AFTER having updated to latest firmware? That sounds like it would wipe out the firmware update, no? And why is this recommended? It is a brand new router.

Also, an interesting observation. I did disable the Daisy Chain option since I have only 1 satellite. But this made the performance of the satellite much worse. With Daisy Chain enabled, I get 500 mbps speeds, with daisy chain disabled, I get < 100 mpbs speeds. So I left it as enabled.

Message 3 of 28
alokeprasad
Mentor

FWIW, my 3 iPhone 12's and one iPad Pro (old one) are working fine w RBK50 ver 2.5.2.4. (This is the latest version recognized by the "check for Update" function).

Mine is a plain vanilla install, with wireless backhaul between the RBR and RBS.  uPnP and Remote Management turned off; beamforming and MIMO turned On; my own passwords for Wifi and router login.  I also use 3rd party DNS (1.1.1.1, 209.67.222.222 and 8.8.8.8)

All using the Router's web interface. [Note, you'll have to use the router IP address, typically 192.168.1.1,  to connect to it if you turn off uPnP].

See if this happens when your iOS device is connected to the router. Be close to it and also verify using the Orbi app or web interface "attached devices" or Network map function.  That will eliminate the satellite and the router-to-satellite connection quality as a factor.

Try factory reset and set the router and satellites again from scratch.

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

@vincent42 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I haven't had issues with the model - it works great with other routers. It is in bridge mode.

What is the mfr and model# of this modem? 

I am on the latest firmware - v2.5.2.4. Orbi says No new firmware version available.

NG doesn't always put up more recent FW on the services for Orbi to detect. User are encouraged to look at NG download site for most current versions:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Are you saying that I can reset the router to factory default AFTER having updated to latest firmware? Yes. That sounds like it would wipe out the firmware update, no? NO! And why is this recommended? It is a brand new router.

Also, an interesting observation. I did disable the Daisy Chain option since I have only 1 satellite. But this made the performance of the satellite much worse. With Daisy Chain enabled, I get 500 mbps speeds, with daisy chain disabled, I get < 100 mpbs speeds. So I left it as enabled. Daisy Chain should be DISABLED for 1 RBS. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 5 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

What is the mfr and model# of this modem? 

I don't know. Before I spend time looking it up, may I ask, why is this relevant? I have not had any issues with the Modem.

NG doesn't always put up more recent FW on the services for Orbi to detect. User are encouraged to look at NG download site for most current versions:

https://www.netgear.com/support/

Interesting. Why would Netgear not make it easy for users to upgrade firmware. It seems like a lot of extra effort to download and then (how?) install manually the firmware. Not very well thought out.

Are you saying that I can reset the router to factory default AFTER having updated to latest firmware? Yes. That sounds like it would wipe out the firmware update, no? NO! And why is this recommended? It is a brand new router.

What is the tought behind factory reset? It is a new router.

Also, an interesting observation. I did disable the Daisy Chain option since I have only 1 satellite. But this made the performance of the satellite much worse. With Daisy Chain enabled, I get 500 mbps speeds, with daisy chain disabled, I get < 100 mpbs speeds. So I left it as enabled. Daisy Chain should be DISABLED for 1 RBS. 

Well, it should be disabled but when I disabled it the satelllite did not work. There seems to be a disconnect between should and what actually happens.

About 4000 sq ft. But the issues are not distance related. I am only 20 feet from router when the issue shows up.

Distance between router and satellite is about 30 feet.

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Some modems have built in routers and wifi. Were only looking to see if this is present or not. Nothing nafarious here. 

Sometimes NG doesn't post newer FW versions to there servers for unknown reasons. There are other reasons like region location and such which may cause newer FW version NOT to be seen on some users systems. So its should't be an inconvience for users to check NG download site as well. NG offers these as a alternative method if users are not seeing more current versions of FW on there systems. Or keep whats loaded IF that works for you. 

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS then back ON after disabling Diasy Chain? 

v4 seems to be a mixed back of users posting that it work and some that it doesn't work. So you can try to downgrade FW or update FW if you don't think v4 is working well for you. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 7 of 28
dennism1976
Aspirant

FWIW, having similar issues here. We have a lot of apple devices (6 iPhones, 6 iPads, Apple TV's and a Mac) and a couple of times during the day the internet will go down but only on the wifi connected devices. Not on anything that is connected through ethernet cable.

Also on the latest (non-US) version which makes it so that I'm on V2.5.2.4 for the router. Both the satellites are also on this version. 

I've turned off security for now, hoping that will fix the problem. I didn't change anything other in my setup, other than 2 port forwards. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 8 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

Some modems have built in routers and wifi. Were only looking to see if this is present or not. Nothing nafarious here. 

>>> The modem is in bridge mode, I made sure its built-in wifi is turned off.

Sometimes NG doesn't post newer FW versions to there servers for unknown reasons. There are other reasons like region location and such which may cause newer FW version NOT to be seen on some users systems. So its should't be an inconvience for users to check NG download site as well. NG offers these as a alternative method if users are not seeing more current versions of FW on there systems. Or keep whats loaded IF that works for you. 

>>> Is everything posted on NG's download site stable? Maybe they wait until issues are resolved before pushing those updates?

Did you power OFF the RBR and RBS then back ON after disabling Diasy Chain? 

>>> I didn't have a choice. Orbi rebooted after I disabled Daisy Chain. Are you saying that in addition to it rebooting, I should power it OFF and ON again?

v4 seems to be a mixed back of users posting that it work and some that it doesn't work. So you can try to downgrade FW or update FW if you don't think v4 is working well for you. 

>>> I could try these. I already changed Automatic to Long preamble but it didn't fix the issue. I can try and change things one at a time and see if it makes a difference.

I wish NG had a known issues page with resolutions.

Thanks for your replies.

Message 9 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@dennism1976 wrote:

I've turned off security for now, hoping that will fix the problem. I didn't change anything other in my setup, other than 2 port forwards. 

Did it fix your problem?

Message 10 of 28
dennism1976
Aspirant

I'm afraid to say yes yet, however, I haven't heard the kids or the wife complain since I've disabled it. Will report back tomorrow.

Last thing I might try, if this doesn't help is setting the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but what baffles me is that wired internet keeps working while wireless just reports there is no internet connection (it even says so in the app/admin page when that occurs).

For now, fingers crossed it's the security thing. Which, to my liking, is overly protective and paranoid anyway. And a paid subscription, which for the already hefty price you pay for a Mesh solution is not what you expect. If I wanted DLC I'd buy an EA game 🙂

Message 11 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@dennism1976 wrote:

I'm afraid to say yes yet, however, I haven't heard the kids or the wife complain since I've disabled it. Will report back tomorrow.

Last thing I might try, if this doesn't help is setting the DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 but what baffles me is that wired internet keeps working while wireless just reports there is no internet connection (it even says so in the app/admin page when that occurs).

For now, fingers crossed it's the security thing. Which, to my liking, is overly protective and paranoid anyway. And a paid subscription, which for the already hefty price you pay for a Mesh solution is not what you expect. If I wanted DLC I'd buy an EA game 🙂

When you say you turned off security, do you mean that your network is not password protected? Or did you mean the advanced security features?

Message 12 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

The latest firmware seems to be 2.6.1.40, available via this site https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50v2#RBS50%20(Orbi%20Satellite)%20Firmware%20Version%202....

The version on my router and satellite is 2.5.2.4, which is also the latest version the admin site recognizes. Has anyone updated to 2.6.1.40? Any issues?

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 14 of 28
dennism1976
Aspirant

I disabled the Armor security thing. The thing where you get a month for free and then you have to pay a yearly subscription.

Message 15 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can review and post here about v40 version of FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Great, thanks for this link.

Message 16 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@dennism1976 wrote:

I disabled the Armor security thing. The thing where you get a month for free and then you have to pay a yearly subscription.

I never had any of the security featues enabled.

Message 17 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

An update on my situation. I'm still having issues with my iPhones and iPads.

Found this similar thread with potential solution https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-iOS-disconnection-issue/m-p/1708479#M52790

What I've changed so far is:

Wireless settings - Auto -> Long preamble for both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels.
Set 2.4Ghz channel from Auto -> 1
2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2347 -> 2341 and 2347 -> 2345 respectively)
Enabled Implicit BEAMFORMING.

Still to do: Disable Daisy Chain Topology as I have just one satellite, although when I tried this last time, the satellite failed to connect to the router. What I'm gonna do differenlty now is actually turn OFF and back ON the router even though the router reboots after changing the Daisy Chain Topology setting.

Also, I could try to latest firmware too.

Message 18 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would disable Daisy Chain as it's not needed for 1 RBS. Beamforming and MIMO should be enabled in most cases always. 

Are you in the USA region our outside? 

@vincent42 wrote:

An update on my situation. I'm still having issues with my iPhones and iPads.

Found this similar thread with potential solution https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-iOS-disconnection-issue/m-p/1708479#M52790

What I've changed so far is:

Wireless settings - Auto -> Long preamble for both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels.
Set 2.4Ghz channel from Auto -> 1
2.4 GHz and 5 GHz (2347 -> 2341 and 2347 -> 2345 respectively)
Enabled Implicit BEAMFORMING.

Still to do: Disable Daisy Chain Topology as I have just one satellite, although when I tried this last time, the satellite failed to connect to the router. What I'm gonna do differenlty now is actually turn OFF and back ON the router even though the router reboots after changing the Daisy Chain Topology setting.

Also, I could try to latest firmware too.

Message 19 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would disable Daisy Chain as it's not needed for 1 RBS. Beamforming and MIMO should be enabled in most cases always. 

For sure, I'll try this after hours as my family is using the wifi now.

I am wondering though, what could be the connection between Daisy Chain and the problem I'm experiencing with iOS devices? And, if this is a known issue, why doesn't NG turn it off when you set it up? The setup process detected that I had just the one satellite. I would expect that process to be smart enough to set Daisy Chain value according to my setup. Sigh, that is too much to expect from NG, I guess.

Message 20 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe that NG leave it enabled due to other RB(Kits) haveing more than 1 RBS in the box and some users may have a configuration where DC is needed. So I presume they go from this standpoint in regards to DC. Orbi AX, DC runs automatically. 

@vincent42 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

For sure, I'll try this after hours as my family is using the wifi now.

I am wondering though, what could be the connection between Daisy Chain and the problem I'm experiencing with iOS devices? And, if this is a known issue, why doesn't NG turn it off when you set it up? The setup process detected that I had just the one satellite. I would expect that process to be smart enough to set Daisy Chain value according to my setup. Sigh, that is too much to expect from NG, I guess.

Message 21 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

I disabled Daisy Chain but unfortunately the problem persists.

I am standing 4 feet away from the satellite and measuring speeds. My Windows PC gets 500 Mbps downloads 9/10 times occasionally dipping to around 300 Mbps. Doing the same test with my iPhones, the speed varies from 10 Mbps to 400 Mbps. It's like you never know what you're gonna get with the next test, it's so unpredictable. Same issue when connecte to the router. Even 30 feet away, I could get 400 Mbps download speed one time only to go down to <10 Mbps.

I have the same config as here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

with a couple of exceptions. I am using channel 48 instead of 36 and dynamic IP address instead of static for the satellite and all connected devices (I really don't want to bother with setting up static IPs as I don't see how this would fix the problem and it would be a pain to do).

Maybe I'll try changing the channel to 36 next.

Message 22 of 28
alokeprasad
Mentor

Were there any changes to the iOS devices, like firmware updates to those that might have started this?

I would start with the router only (power off the satellite) and make sure wired and wireless devices are happy when connected to the router.  If not, try factory defaults on the router.  No point in proceeding until this simple router-only setup is working well.

If the router is set up OK, then power on the satellite, wait till it shows a good backhaul connection w the router.  Reset the satellite and add it fresh if needed. Move the satellite if needed.

Once you have a good router <-> satellite connection, check the speeds using a wired connection to the satellite.  If that is good, see if the wireless connection to the satellite is good.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

What speed test site or app are you using. I've found that testing for good speedtest servers on Ooklas speed test helps you find what works best first with a wired PC. Other speed test servers maybe more busier than others so you need to find one that gives you constant speed results on a wired PC first. Then use same for wireless devices. 

Message 24 of 28
vincent42
Tutor

@alokeprasad wrote:

Were there any changes to the iOS devices, like firmware updates to those that might have started this?

I would start with the router only (power off the satellite) and make sure wired and wireless devices are happy when connected to the router.  If not, try factory defaults on the router.  No point in proceeding until this simple router-only setup is working well.

If the router is set up OK, then power on the satellite, wait till it shows a good backhaul connection w the router.  Reset the satellite and add it fresh if needed. Move the satellite if needed.

Once you have a good router <-> satellite connection, check the speeds using a wired connection to the satellite.  If that is good, see if the wireless connection to the satellite is good.

Thanks for your input. I have done all this. Nothing wrong with router and satellite. Other devices besides iPhones connect and have no problems with the connection speed.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7