Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 broadcasting 2.4G and 5G separately

Augie-I
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 broadcasting 2.4G and 5G separately

Is there a way to broadcast separate SSID names to the 2.4G and 5G Orbi networks.  Other routers used to do this. 

This is important for me because I have an LG WEBOS TV that defaults to 2.4Ghz, even though it can receive 5Ghz... my other Netgear router had different names for the 5G broadcast and that solved the problem.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi AC3000 broadcasting 2.4G and 5G separately

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
tagteam
Virtuoso

Yes, but you need to follow the steps set forth in the link below.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 2 of 3
Augie-I
Aspirant

Thank you for this!  (Note: I did search for a solution in the forum before asking.  Not sure how I missed the earlier post on this topic, but thank you for sharing the link.)

What I opted to do in my setting was change the name of my 2.4G SSID, rather than the 5G - that way all my devices that were already connected didn't have to suffer through name & password changes.  But what it did do was force the Orbi to send only 5G signals to my stubborn LG TV. 

Result - running Speedtest.net on my TV went from 40Mb to 100Mb with no changes other than changing the SSID name on the router side and reconnecting to the internet on the TV (the TV was able to keep the old name, but now connected to the 5G router signal).

Thank you again.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7