Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 or Pro - can I activate wifi from only the satellite?

schirmat
Guide

Orbi AC3000 or Pro - can I activate wifi from only the satellite?

HI I have issues with my google homes, when they connect to one or the other of my mesh access point the casting disappears.

To solve this I'm looking to do the following:

1- Disable wifi on my cable provider modem/router

2- plug the main orbi pro or AC3000 to the modem via ethernet

3- have this unit to send wirelessly signal to the satellite strategically positionned at the center of my home to have good reception everywhere

This set up I would like to have only 1 device broadcasting the wifi which would be the satellite, does that make sense? is that doable? any settings you'd recommend? 

Thanks a lot!

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 or Pro - can I activate wifi from only the satellite?

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Orbi MESH, Pro or NON pro both RBR and RBS have actively working wifi signals all going at the same time. You can't disable the RBRs wifi signal as this would defeat the MESH design and purpose.

It's up to the connecting devices to choose which signal source to conect too. You can't force any devices to a certain signal. They do all that. However you can reduce the power out put of the RBRs radios to help in some direction on which signal they connect too. 100% on either radio is default. You can reduce this and see if this help in changing which wifi source they connect to, RBR or RBS depending on distances. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

It's preferred to have the RBR on a main floor while the RBS are placed out in remote locations. Basements are not recommended for the RBR. 

Message 2 of 8
schirmat
Guide

actually i now have a samsung mesh home connect pro (and im planning on buyer either google wifi / nest wifi / orbi AC3000 / orbi pro - not sure yet) but since december it's a nightmare with the google home devices they are barely usable, dont know if samsung or google made an update but everything is broken since then. I tried reseting everything starting over from scratch... nothing works.

one mesh is not enough even though its a small place it is super cramped and lots of interferences making wifi weak in the red zone. I wanted to buy a mesh system to place it in a central location but i cant have more than one unit emitting wifi because thats what's causing the issues on the network...

i dont understand why i have such low reception from so close but.. probably too many interferences.. I'd be more than happy with recommendations!

Attached the map of our place

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do this to help figure out your interferences and such. Turn OFF ALL wifi devices. Leave the RBR online alone. 

Connect up most common used wifi devices, just a couple. Phone and pad or a IoT device. Check operation and such. If you need to move one of the IoT devices closer to the RBR. See if it works. If it does, then turn it off and try ALL the other IoT devices one at a time to see if they work with just the RBR. Then if each works well, turn on 1 of the RBS. Make sure it works. Start connecting devices. Periodically check to see how everything is working. 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? These can be a factor in wifi interferences as well.

Message 4 of 8
schirmat
Guide

Thank you for this explanation it's great tip! I'll try it.

Interferences come from neighbors, I have really strong receptions (-50-80db) for at least 10 ssids 2.4 and 5

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You may want to reduce the power output of the RBR from 100% to maybe 75% or 50% if you seem to notice wifi problems. This helps in reducing the over all wifi signal foot print that may have some interference problems with neighboring wifi. Use channels that your neigbors aren't using if possible. Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Message 6 of 8
schirmat
Guide

You're a genius!

Hopefully I'll find the sweetspot!

thank you so much, great help!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7