Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 satellite slow connection

dilipram
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 satellite slow connection

Hi all, I hope someone can help me here. Last week my Orbi satellite started to continuously lose connection. In the Orbi iOS app it would have a purple dot and reset. It would keep doing this and the topology would keep resetting (I have a system with RBR50, RBS50 and RBS40V Orbi Voice). It made all the devices go haywire. One day 3 even the Orbi Voice and router were resetting (with purple dot). So after a few days of this I turned off the entire system and power cycled all the way from the ATT ONT (I have 1 gig fiber).

It still didn't solve the issue so I did a factory reset and set it up again with a new SSID.

Network seems stable now with 20+hours of uptime, the satellite is not failing but there is significant degradation in connections from the Orbi RBS50 satellite. So here's my troubleshooting so far with my iPhone.

• Wirelessly connected to the Arris router from AT&T, and hit 376 mbps (I never hit a gig before so this is expected)
  • Wirelessly connected to the RBR50 which is LAN connected w/ IP passthrough and hit 376 mbps
  • Went from room to room until I got to the position right next to the RBS50 satellite and hit 7mbps (still connected to router according to router admin)
  • In same position (right next to RBS50), turned off and turned back on Wifi and got 7mbps.

To give a little more context on placement, the RBR50 (router) and RBS50 (satellite) are on the same floor about 40 feet from each other. The RBS40V (Orbi Voice) is directly under the satellite. So it generally settles in a daisy chain.

In the router admin it says backhaul status is good, and connection type between satellite and router is wired. In the past I have gotten 376 mbps right next to the satellite. Given it is down to 7 makes me wonder if the satellite is acting like a repeater?

Help?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi AC3000 satellite slow connection

Are you in router or AP mode on the Orbi router? Are there switches in between or are you directly connected to the ISP modem/router? Maybe change out the cable connecting the Orbi router to the ISP modem/router? 

Go to orbilogon.com under basic > wireless and change the WIFI channels. IOt's different for everyone. I use NetSpot to see what other WIFI systems are close, and there are other programs and apps you can use for the phone. tablet, or PC.

Message 2 of 12
dilipram
Aspirant

@Mstrbigthank you for the quick response.

The Orbi is in router mode.

There are no switches. The AT&T ONT is connected directly to the ARRIS, from the ARRIS direct ethernet to the RBR50 (router). Router and satellite (RBS50) are connected via wireless backhaul.

Thank you for a great tip about NetSpot. I was able to identify that channel 6 was used by neighbours so I switched mine to channel 1. SonosNet is using channel 11, so that seemed reasonable.

Network and topology continues to be stable but there has not been any change to devices connected to the satellite. They're still very slow. I fear the satellite failed and it is out of warranty. Am I SOL?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
dilipram
Aspirant

@MstrbigAlso, I was using the ethernet cable that came with the kit to connect the ARRIS to the RBR50. I switched it out anyway with a brand new ethernet cable and there was no noticeable difference.

Message 4 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Is it possible to bypass the Arris router? reboot the ONT, connect the Orbi router directly tro the Arris router? I'm not sure with AT&T, but with Verizon and Frontier the ONT is distributing 1 IP addsress to whatever router you choose and that router, in your case the Orbi, in router mode, handles DHCP. This is how we install Orbi systems on Frontier's service.

The only other reason satellites would be slow is interference, too far from the Orbi router, and if totally wireless in straight line, meaning router to satellite to satellite, daisy chaining is off and should be turned on. If both satellites are the same distance from the router, turn off daisy chaining.

Message 5 of 12
dilipram
Aspirant

@MstrbigI cannot bypass the ARRIS router. I tried, and the Orbi doesn't get an internet connection. Just for visibility, the 2.4Ghz radio is turned off on the ARRIS and it is being used in IP passthrough DHCP-fixed mode -- so for the most part the ARRIS has very low interference. The 5Ghz band is on so I can connect to the admin but it is on channel 147 or something so not an inteference issue.

So what's super strange about all of this is that the routers have not been moved for months, and the satelites have been in this position, providing much faster download speeds. It just suddenly dropped to 7mbps which is normally great but with multiple in the house on zoom calls, am feeling the pain a little bit (btw the multiple people in the house hasn't changed for months -- there's no devices added or removed to network which makes me feel this is a hardware failure on the satellite).

To your last point about the satellites you are correct they are both fairly equidistant to the router, but the voice is on a floor below the satellite so the voice connects to the satellite in daisy chain. It wasn't a problem before but just for sanity I have both turned off the voice and completely removed it from the mesh for testing purposes and it did not solve the issue (Satellite continued to serve stream maxed at 8mbps, standing right next to it).

Thank you for your help, I think we have isolated the issue to the satellite itself. Unfortunately warranty ran out so Netgear will not provide any support or opportunity for repair. I'm unable to work at home in that room so I need to resolve this in short order.

I have just purchased the Nest Wifi and the Orbi 753 from the costco deal that is currently running. I'll test with that and let you know.

Message 6 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

What ONT is AT&T using? You may have to reset and reconfigure the Orbi router to get connected directly. Then again since you have the ISP Arris, there may be no ONT, but just the network cable coming from the AT&T box, which will explain no IP address. Also if you haven't done so, swap out the satellites to see if it is in fact the satellite in question. 

Message 7 of 12
dilipram
Aspirant

The ONT looks like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/XyMxVDEz7r3gviGA8

This is plugged into the ARRIS. The ARRIS is a modem/gateway so it cannot be removed from the system.

You've given me a few ideas, let me try to do some more investigation.

Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Someting to review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Orbi-AX-6000-and-AT-amp-T-fiber-gateway-issue/m-p/1890125/h...

Message 9 of 12
dilipram
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 and @Mstrbig I have confirmed that the Satellite RBS50 has an issue. I basically swapped the location of the two such that the Voice is upstairs and the RBS50 is downstairs and with nothing else moved, this laptop is getting 290 mbps compared to the 8 mbps from before.

This confirms that the Satellite got zonked somehow. Any tips/suggestions? It is out of warranty. Can I repair it? What options do I have?

Message 10 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Admittedly too lazy this morning to read back through the thread.

If you haven't reset the satellite, do so. Also I find that sometimes routers and satellites can be stubborn. So what I now do, if the device is being stubborn, is turn off device, hold in the reset button and power on the device, while still holding reset button. Once you see the power light turn red, you can let go and it should turn green. I have a RBS40V that I purchased used, and it took 3 times to reset before it allowed me to pair it with my RBK50 system.

Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a reset on the RBS helps. IF not, the RBS maybe faulty and needs to replaced. Something to ask NG support about and see what your options are. 

@dilipram wrote:

I have confirmed that the Satellite RBS50 has an issue. I basically swapped the location of the two such that the Voice is upstairs and the RBS50 is downstairs and with nothing else moved, this laptop is getting 290 mbps compared to the 8 mbps from before.

This confirms that the Satellite got zonked somehow. Any tips/suggestions? It is out of warranty. Can I repair it? What options do I have?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7