Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AC3000 using Wired Backhaul with Edge Router 4

sclawrenc
Apprentice

Orbi AC3000 using Wired Backhaul with Edge Router 4

I'm considering placing the Orbi in Access Point mode using wired backhaul and using an Edge Router 4 as my wired router.  Everything is currently working fine with my Orbi, and I'm just wanting to tinker in the Edge Router 4 world.  

Anyone have any suggestions regarding this setup?  Does it work fine?  Any issues or things I should think about?  

Thanks in advance!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, AP mode works just fine. Had a ER-X connected at one time with the Orbi in AP mode. Keep the RBS directly connected to the RBR or use a non manged, non green ethernet switch in between the RBR and RBS. 

Message 2 of 10
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks. Do you think it’s any faster using a stand alone router like the er4?
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would look at the specs of the ER4 router. I know that the ERX router only supports up to around 300Mbps WAN to LAN. I recently updated to 1Gb WAN to LAN so I can't use the ERX router currently. If the ER4 supports your ISP speeds WAN to LAN, can try it and see how you like it. There UI is a bit more complex and not as easy as NGs UI. Meant for the advanced networking users or IT pros. 

Message 4 of 10
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks.

Do you know if my router settings will be saved if I toggle the router from router mode to access point mode?  I might try to use the access point mode, but I would like an easy way to change it back to router mode without losing my settings.

I would also think it would not be possible to segment my WiFi guest (IoT) network from my private WiFi network if I'm using the Edgerouter 4 as a router/gateway.  Do you know if this would be possible with the Orbi in access point mode?  

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the RBR saves the router mode configuration while using AP mode. I recommend doing a backup configuration to file prior to migrationg to AP mode for safety and any future needs. 

Remember when the Orbi is in AP mode, it's got no routing abilities and acts just as a traffice pass through to the main router, so the Edge router becomes your main router and will handle traffic based on how you configure it. Something to look into with Ubiquity.

Message 6 of 10
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks.

Does the Orbi still support isolation of the traffic between guest and home networks?  I think the answer might be yes to having a separate network, but no to being able to isolate the traffic. 

The question would be how to separate that traffic with the Orbi in AP mode and the Edgerouter 4 acting as a router.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I know there were some posts about guest network having access to the LAN side resources when in router mode. AP mode, i presume it may not be supported as the main wifi and guess network would be now appart of the same LAN connection to the main host router. 

I don't run guest network with mine so not sure about this. Hopefully someone can chime in on this...Try some configurations and see for your self that happens. You can always revert back changes. 

Message 8 of 10
sclawrenc
Apprentice

Thanks.  That sounds like a plan to me.  🙂

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors