Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000 with U-Verse Wireless TV Receivers

scbeck88
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000 with U-Verse Wireless TV Receivers

Hey Everyone, 

I have done a lot of reading on the issue I am having, and my head is spinning with the alternatives I have seen recommended - I am not sure what the best option is. 

I have U-Verse (Pace 5268ac modem/router) with an Orbi RBK50 I just got over the weekend. Followed a tutorial on getting the Orbi up and running by disabling the WiFi on the Pace and putting the Orbi in DMZ+, which worked great for everything except my 2 wireless TV receivers. 

I am having the same issues others had with the channel freezing after 15-30 seconds. I tried AP mode, but could not get that to work either, and everything seemed to slow down a lot with the Orbi acting in AP mode. 

What is the current recommendation as to how to get the Orbi to play nice with the wireless receivers? The only thing I can see that looks to work is to re-enable the 2.4ghz network on the Pace, let the receivers connect via the Pace's 2.4ghz network and run the Orbi in DMZ+ mode for everything else. I could be completely off base though. Hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi AC3000 with U-Verse Wireless TV Receivers

Try this, set the wifi radio channel on the ISP modem to channel 1, set the 2.4Ghz radio channel on the Orbi to channel 11. Ensure the ISP modem and Orbi base are as far apart as possible. 12 feet is a good start. Connect the TV rcvrs to the ISP Modem. Connect everything else to the Orbi system. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I recommend running the Orbi in Option #3...

@scbeck88 wrote:

Hey Everyone, 

I have done a lot of reading on the issue I am having, and my head is spinning with the alternatives I have seen recommended - I am not sure what the best option is. 

I have U-Verse (Pace 5268ac modem/router) with an Orbi RBK50 I just got over the weekend. Followed a tutorial on getting the Orbi up and running by disabling the WiFi on the Pace and putting the Orbi in DMZ+, which worked great for everything except my 2 wireless TV receivers. 

I am having the same issues others had with the channel freezing after 15-30 seconds. I tried AP mode, but could not get that to work either, and everything seemed to slow down a lot with the Orbi acting in AP mode. 

What is the current recommendation as to how to get the Orbi to play nice with the wireless receivers? The only thing I can see that looks to work is to re-enable the 2.4ghz network on the Pace, let the receivers connect via the Pace's 2.4ghz network and run the Orbi in DMZ+ mode for everything else. I could be completely off base though. Hoping someone can help guide me in the right direction. Thanks!

Message 2 of 8
scbeck88
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply  Furrey - I put some answers/questions/comments to your reponse in green below. Again, thanks for the input and any further help!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try this, set the wifi radio channel on the ISP modem to channel 1, set the 2.4Ghz radio channel on the Orbi to channel 11. Ensure the ISP modem and Orbi base are as far apart as possible. 12 feet is a good start. Connect the TV rcvrs to the ISP Modem. Connect everything else to the Orbi system. 

When you say "connect the receivers to the ISP," do you just mean reset the wireless ones? I have 1 wired (plugged into the ISP modem) and 2 wireless. I changed the IP address from the default 192, to the 172 setting (per Youtube setup video rec), so maybe I need to change it back if that makes the receivers unable to see the ISP modem. Also, should the AT&T-provided access point be plugged back in to the ISP modem?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 3600
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Around 30 ft. Router is on main floor living room, satellite in the basement with game systems, other tv, etc.

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.

Apparently, the Pace 5268ac doesn't allow this, so DMZ is the only similar way.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.

This is what I tried originally, but can't seem to get the wireless tv receivers to work. Although, I hadn't tried reactivating the ISP Wifi on the Pace and running it for the receivers alone. 
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

I tried AP mode, but it seemed to slow everything down, and my xbox lost the ability to connect for some reason. Forgive the stupid question, but I don't really get the difference between router and AP mode. I understand that with the Orbi in AP mode, the Pace handles all the routing duties, but doesn't that just defeat the reason for getting the Orbi? Or should the internet speed be unaffected regardless of router vs. AP mode? I just thought the Orbi was at its best if operating as the router.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@scbeck88 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When you say "connect the receivers to the ISP," do you just mean reset the wireless ones? I have 1 wired (plugged into the ISP modem) and 2 wireless. I changed the IP address from the default 192, to the 172 setting (per Youtube setup video rec), so maybe I need to change it back if that makes the receivers unable to see the ISP modem. Also, should the AT&T-provided access point be plugged back in to the ISP modem?

Yes, connect the TV receivers and provided access point to all to the ISP modem. Might as well keep that all connected there for less hassle. 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. Around 30 ft. Router is on main floor living room, satellite in the basement with game systems, other tv, etc.

Couple of options,

This is what I tried originally, but can't seem to get the wireless tv receivers to work. Although, I hadn't tried reactivating the ISP Wifi on the Pace and running it for the receivers alone. 

You can try this, activating the wifi on the PACE...if you want to keep the Orbi in router mode. 

I tried AP mode, but it seemed to slow everything down, and my xbox lost the ability to connect for some reason. Forgive the stupid question, but I don't really get the difference between router and AP mode. I understand that with the Orbi in AP mode, the Pace handles all the routing duties, but doesn't that just defeat the reason for getting the Orbi? Or should the internet speed be unaffected regardless of router vs. AP mode? I just thought the Orbi was at its best if operating as the router.

After configuring AP mode, did you do a full reboot of the ISP modem, Orbi Base and Satellites and connected devices? This is needed after configuring AP mode.

Differences between AP and Router mode, wireless, nothing different, however, router portions and control features of router mode are disabled.

Message 4 of 8
scbeck88
Aspirant

Furrye38 - Sounds like I should maybe try AP mode again. I did a total reset, but I will try it again when I get home later. Regardless of AP vs Router mode, should I reset the ISP modem to the original IP address in your opinion? Wondering if that will cause an issue with the wireless receivers no matter what. 

As for AP vs. Router mode, is there any downside to not having the Orbi act as the router? Based on your reply, performance sounds like it should be the same in either case, whether the Orbi or ISP modem is acting as the router. I just want to make sure I am getting the best speed/coverage, because it was terrible for so long before. 

Thanks for all the help. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:
@scbeck88 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Yes, connect the TV receivers and provided access point to all to the ISP modem. Might as well keep that all connected there for less hassle. 

Couple of options,

You can try this, activating the wifi on the PACE...if you want to keep the Orbi in router mode. 

After configuring AP mode, did you do a full reboot of the ISP modem, Orbi Base and Satellites and connected devices? This is needed after configuring AP mode.

Differences between AP and Router mode, wireless, nothing different, however, router portions and control features of router mode are disabled.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

You can reset the modem back to defaults, I would in this case. If your going to use the ISP modem as your main host router, This would be preferred to keep things simpler. 

Only real downside is having two routers on the same network. Troubleshooting this can be complex. For ease of use and keeping this simple as easy for you, I would use the Orbi in router mode. Maybe later one once you feel things are working and if you want to try, yo u can configure Orbi for router mode and use the ISP modems DMZ or IP PassThru if it has this feature. 

@scbeck88 wrote:

Furrye38 - Sounds like I should maybe try AP mode again. I did a total reset, but I will try it again when I get home later. Regardless of AP vs Router mode, should I reset the ISP modem to the original IP address in your opinion? Wondering if that will cause an issue with the wireless receivers no matter what. 

As for AP vs. Router mode, is there any downside to not having the Orbi act as the router? Based on your reply, performance sounds like it should be the same in either case, whether the Orbi or ISP modem is acting as the router. I just want to make sure I am getting the best speed/coverage, because it was terrible for so long before. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Message 6 of 8
scbeck88
Aspirant

For the sake of keeping it easy, you mean use the Orbi in AP mode, correct? You said in your last post:

" For ease of use and keeping this simple as easy for you, I would use the Orbi in router mode. Maybe later one once you feel things are working and if you want to try, yo u can configure Orbi for router mode and use the ISP modems DMZ or IP PassThru if it has this feature."

Just making sure you mean use AP mode for now, try router later possibly. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Oops, yes, that was a typo, I did mean use the Orbi in AP mode. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7