Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi AC3000

anitac1955
Aspirant

Orbi AC3000

Just purchased an Orbi AC3000 2 unit system from Amazon and have Spectrum internet currently with a Technicolor 8715D modem/router.  Do I need or would it be better to buy a different modem and or router?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi AC3000

From what you've said in your post your cable modem is a combination router/modem. The important thing is to be certain there is only ONE router in your system. There are two ways to do this. One is to put the ORbi in AP mode and use your existing router to feed the Orbi. The other is to disable the router mode of your current modem/router. You'll have to access your modem's web interface and turn off it's routing capability then connect your Orbi to the modem via ethernet. You shouldn't have to buy a different modem unless you're renting that one from Spectrum. 

Message 2 of 5
anitac1955
Aspirant

Thanks much for the info.  I apologize, I am not very tech savvy.  Would I be better off to ditch the Spectrum combo router/modem and buy one?  If so which one?

Thanks again!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 5
anitac1955
Aspirant

Thanks so much Tuscontito but I don't know how to do that, sorry.  I received my Orbi and set it up yesterday but I think I may have 2 routers going.  Can you tell me how to check?  What is AP mode?

Anita

Message 4 of 5
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I'm no expert in router configuration but to better help you, I need to know what brand and model number you original modem/router is. Almost every modem from cable companies have a built in web server so you can directly log-in to the modem to check settings.

For example, I own a Arris TM722G. To "see" its web page I go to a web browser and type in 192.168.100.1. This IP address displays the status page of my modem. From there I can adjust settings using previously setup login credentials (Username & Password). You can simply do an internet search for this information about your modem.

"AP" is the abbreviation for "Access Point". Placing your Orbi in AP allows it to act as a wireless access point ("WAP") while your primary router provides the IP addresses to all your connected devices. Here's a link to a turtorial that will provide more info than I can: https://www.lifewire.com/connect-routers-on-a-home-network-818060.

Good Luck.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7