Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AP Mode Problem

computersteve
Apprentice

Orbi AP Mode Problem

I cannot get this system to work with a wired back haul in AP mode. If I just use the Orbi Satellites all wireless with just the router connected to my ASUS it works perfect. As soon as I chain connect the orbis together it doesn’t. Meaning the router to the satellite, then from that satellite to the next. This causes all my Orbis to get purple lights with both satellites using an IP of 192.168.1.250. It’s funny I can access both, they flip flop. So meaning sometimes I enter it and I get 1 satellite in my bedroom then I enter that IP I get the one in my basement. This stays the case, & my asus router never seems to give it a different IP. I can fix this on the router (RBR50) by manually assigning the IP in the AP page. However this doesn’t fix the satellites which never change from 192.168.1.250 & don’t offer the option to assign manual IP. The interesting thing is.. if I don’t connect a wired backhaul I can leave everything alone. I don’t even have to set a manual IP for the router. Idk why this is happening. I have tried going into my router, and manually setting an assigned IP for all the Orbis. This didn’t work. Again it works without the wired back haul. If I plug them in they seem to all go back to 192.168.1.250 & stay that way. I tried lowering the DHCP range from 192.168.1.2-254 to 192.168.1.20-150. That didn’t work. I thought maybe it could be the Ethernet wire that I’m running to the satellite in the other room. I tried to just connect them in the same room without a long Ethernet wire. Resulting in it still not working. I am at a complete loss. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks 😃
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the model of the ASUS router?

What is the FW loaded on the Orbi system?

How are the RBS connected to the RBR? Directly in back of the RBR or is there a LAN network switch in between the RBR and RBS? 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 2 of 17
computersteve
Apprentice

The firmware is the latest 2.7 Orbi firmware. However this has happened on every firmware release. As for switches. I have two connected behind my Orbi to the satellites. They are Netgear GS108s unmanaged which are supposed to be compatible. I did this to add more Ethernet ports for more hardwired devices. The thing is I tried all the basic troubleshooting. I removed the switches, I tried DHCP reservation, I factory reset everything, I tried changing the Ethernet cables. I have these all chain connected when I use the wired backhaul. I don’t have an Ethernet wire running from the RBR50 to a switch than the RBS50s. I instead am connecting it strait to each satellite from the RBR50. Going down from the router. As for the ASUS it’s an RT-AC5300 with the latest firmware. However, even when I use a different router as the main it still functions this way.
Message 3 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@computersteve wrote:
I cannot get this system to work with a wired back haul in AP mode. If I just use the Orbi Satellites all wireless with just the router connected to my ASUS it works perfect. As soon as I chain connect the orbis together it doesn’t. Meaning the router to the satellite, then from that satellite to the next.

The IP reservations are being done on the Asus router, correct?

(it should not be essential to reserve IP addresses for Orbi and satellites, but I like to "know where something should be", so I assign IP's to all the "stuff that doesn't come and go", such as desktops, printers, TV's, thermostats, etc.  That's how my satellites came to be 192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.50. Dumb old me set up two desktops and a printer before adding the satellite.  Then, four years late I got another satellite. A person who "thinks ahead" would have reserved 2,3,4,5 for Orbi satellites. Oh, well.)

(I confess to not knowing is the Asus has IP assignments like the Orbi does, but it seems reasonable that it would.)

So, the Orbi is AP mode. Plug WAN port into Asus, and it gets the IP assigned to it by Asus, correct?

Power up one satellite and sync to Orbir router.  Gets correct IP?

Connect Orbi router and satellite with ethenet patch cable, and satellite goes magenta (purple)?

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Another tiny point is to have the "assigned" IP addresses and the DHCP "pool" be separate.  The DHCP mechanism will still function, and devices will get the IP they are supposed to, but there is no chance of some random device asking for an IP while the assigned device is not connected and getting the assigned one.  In practice this doesn't happen much, but if it does, then the assigned device get an IP that was not intended for it (from the pool) and thngs go rapidly downhill.

Message 5 of 17
computersteve
Apprentice

Yeah I have a ton of devices. I have like 13 alexas two apple time capsules, 1 airport express, 4 Apple TV’s, 4 Android tv boxes, Two WiFi printers, 4 smart TVs, 3 macs, 5 game consoles, 4 Ooma telos, 5 iOS devices, and I’m probably forgetting something. You are correct that once I connect the Ethernet wire it goes magenta. In my ASUS DHCP leases I see the 192.168.1.250 appear as static. It is like unchanging even if I go into the router pick the 192.168.1.250 and manually change it to 192.168.1.15 it never gets that IP.
Message 6 of 17
computersteve
Apprentice

This is the way I have it connected. NOT WORKINGThis is the way I have it connected. NOT WORKINGThats my exact switchThats my exact switch

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

I am probably not understanding.  The word "static" is ambiguous (to me).

The only items connected are the Asus and Orbi router. No switches. no anything else.

The Orbi router and satellite MAC addresses are defined in an Asus table with IP 192.168.1.?? and 192.168.1.15?

Connect Orbi to Asus and it gets the IP defined in the table.

When satellites connects to the Orbi router over WiFi, it gets this IP address assigned to it? (1.15)

Then an ethernet cable isi connected between Orbi and satellite and the satellite now appears to the Asus with IP 192.168.1.250?

(and the ring light that was out now glows magenta?)

Message 8 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@computersteve wrote:
Yeah I have a ton of devices. I have like 13 alexas two apple time capsules, 1 airport express, 4 Apple TV’s, 4 Android tv boxes, Two WiFi printers, 4 smart TVs, 3 macs, 5 game consoles, 4 Ooma telos, 5 iOS devices, and I’m probably forgetting something. You are correct that once I connect the Ethernet wire it goes magenta. In my ASUS DHCP leases I see the 192.168.1.250 appear as static. It is like unchanging even if I go into the router pick the 192.168.1.250 and manually change it to 192.168.1.15 it never gets that IP.

How are you controlling the IP address that you want to give to each of the Orbi satellites?  Since they have two different MAC addresses, you should have two different IP address reservations in your ASUS DHCP setup.  Are you setting one satellite to 192.168.1.250 and the second satellite to something else?

Message 9 of 17
computersteve
Apprentice

So maybe this is the problem.. In the advanced index of the orbi under lan port when I click connection status under DHCP server is 167.206.148.43

IP Address192.168.1.30
Subnet Mask255.255.255.0
Default Gateway192.168.1.1
DHCP Server167.206.148.43
DNS Server192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained1 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Lease Expires0 Days, 23 Hours, 56 Minutes

... This DHCP server isn't on my network. It seems to be a DHCP server from my ISP. Weird thing is My cable modem is connected first to the ASUS router with its DHCP server so how is the Orbi RBR50 even seeing this DHCP server as a device behind the Wan Connected ASUS? 

Go »
Source: whois.arin.net
IP Address: 167.206.148.43
Name: CVNET-A7CE9400
Handle: NET-167-206-148-0-1
Registration Date: 2/5/03
Range: 167.206.148.0-167.206.148.255
Org: Systemax Inc.
Org Handle: SYSTE-59
Address: 11 Harbor Park Drive
City: Port Washington
State/Province: NY
Postal Code: 11050

Message 10 of 17
computersteve
Apprentice

Just tried Voxels firmware & it still does the same thing... 

Connected Satellites
# Device Name IP Address MAC Address Connection Type Connected Orbi Backhaul Status

Orbi

Orbi Satellite-2192.168.1.250192.168.1.250Hidden5GOrbi Router

Good
Orbi 2
Orbi Satellite (RBS50)Orbi Satellite-1192.168.1.250192.168.1.250Hidden5GOrbi Router

Good
Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you put the RBR back into router mode and connect the RBS to the RBR? 

What FW version are you using? 

@computersteve wrote:

Just tried Voxels firmware & it still does the same thing... 

Connected Satellites
# Device Name IP Address MAC Address Connection Type Connected Orbi Backhaul Status

Orbi

Orbi Satellite-2192.168.1.250192.168.1.250Hidden5GOrbi Router

Good
Orbi 2
Orbi Satellite (RBS50)Orbi Satellite-1192.168.1.250192.168.1.250Hidden5GOrbi Router

Good

Message 12 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@computersteve wrote:

So maybe this is the problem.. In the advanced index of the orbi under lan port when I click connection status under DHCP server is 167.206.148.43

... This DHCP server isn't on my network. It seems to be a DHCP server from my ISP. Weird thing is My cable modem is connected first to the ASUS router with its DHCP server so how is the Orbi RBR50 even seeing this DHCP server as a device behind the Wan Connected ASUS?

Does the Asus have a DMZ feature similar to Orbi?

Message 13 of 17
waer35
Aspirant

At one time i was thinking that there is an issue in my device but as you mentioned here in the post that you are facing the similar problem so now i think there is an issue in the account setting.

Message 14 of 17
Justbenice
Aspirant

I have same problem. When i turn DHCP off in RBR750 and set the RBR750 as AP, then i can't add satellite or connect or creat daisychain, network backhaul between the RBR750 and RBS750.
I have a very good router that can handle 200+ users so i only need the RBR753 and its mesh network work as a AP , i don't want to use it as router.
Message 15 of 17
gr021857
Aspirant

I'm also having the same issue.

RBR750 and 2 RBS750 all running latest firmware: V4.6.3.7

I've been using it fine in Router mode but need to switch to AP mode as I've moved internet provider and it needs dhcp 61 (nowtv / Sky) and the Orbi's don't provide this option.

As soon as I switch to AP mode the Satellites disconnect and won't sync back.  If i switch back to Router mode they reconnect fine as if nothing is wrong.  i've factory reset everything multiple times and spent hours on this today.

I've tried static assigning all devices via my Netgear d6400 and also just letting the dhcp manage all assignments but nothing works.  Just the Magenta lights of doom.  If i can't fix it i'll have to cancel nowtv and move broadband providers but it should just work.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@gr021857 wrote:

I'm also having the same issue.

RBR750 and 2 RBS750 all running latest firmware: V4.6.3.7

I've been using it fine in Router mode but need to switch to AP mode as I've moved internet provider and it needs dhcp 61 (nowtv / Sky) and the Orbi's don't provide this option.

As soon as I switch to AP mode the Satellites disconnect and won't sync back.  If i switch back to Router mode they reconnect fine as if nothing is wrong.  i've factory reset everything multiple times and spent hours on this today.

I've tried static assigning all devices via my Netgear d6400 and also just letting the dhcp manage all assignments but nothing works.  Just the Magenta lights of doom.  If i can't fix it i'll have to cancel nowtv and move broadband providers but it should just work.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7