Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi AP Mode

garcohsf
Aspirant

Orbi AP Mode

I have set up Orbi in AP Mode on my home network because in router mode along side my Xfinity router it was interfering with use of Sonos. How can I tell whether it is functioning properly? All diagnostics seem to require being connected to the Orbi network. Please excuse my ignorance and confusion. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 9
garcohsf
Aspirant

I seem to be getting no light on my Orbi router.

Message 2 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Connect the Orbi router's Yellow Internet port to one of the LAN ports on the Xfinity router.  Turn OFF WiFi on the XFinity. Everything wired and WiFi should be on the same network.

If you are running Sonos in Boost mode (i.e. ANY Sonos is wired) then you need to configure the 2.4 GHz channels on Orbi and Sonos.  Set one of them to CH1 and the other to CH11.  Log into the XFinity router to lookup the IP addres of your Orbi router.  Log into the Orbi admin GUI at that address using a web browser.  Set the channels using the GUI.

Sonos channels are set via the controller app.

That should be all that's required.

Message 3 of 9
garcohsf
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I turn WiFi off on the Xfinity?

Message 4 of 9
st_shaw
Master

@garcohsf wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I turn WiFi off on the Xfinity?

I'd have to look it up on Google, which you can do as easily as me.  The router will have and admin GUI and somewhere in the menu system will be a setting to turn of the WiFi radios. You must do this or you will have problems with your WiFi.

Message 5 of 9
garcohsf
Aspirant

I switched the Xfinity router to bridge mode; now I have no wireless service at all, Orbi is showing a magenta color 

Message 6 of 9
garcohsf
Aspirant

I appreciate your help and please forgive my ignorance.  Now I’ve lost wireless service entirely. 

Message 7 of 9
garcohsf
Aspirant

I think I have it working now, thanks

Message 8 of 9
st_shaw
Master

Good to hear you got it working.  As you discovered, bridge mode won't work with Orbi in AP mode.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7