Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Access Control not working (RBR50/BS50) with 2.7.1.60 firmware

dkornaros
Tutor

Orbi Access Control not working (RBR50/BS50) with 2.7.1.60 firmware

I have an RBR50 (v1) and RBS50 (v1). They've been working flawlessly for 3+ years...That is until I manually updated to the latest firmware (V2.7.1.60). 

Oddly, Access Control (which I've never had issues with before) now randomly blocks my laptop from accessing all websites...can't even run speedtest successfully.  The Access Control list shows the device as connected and allowed the entire time.  Reboot of laptop, router and satellite have no impact.
As soon as I turn off Access Control, everything works fine.  When I turn it back on, behavior appears again.

Anyone else having this issue on latest release?
Should I roll back to prior release?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi Access Control not working (RBR50/BS50) with 2.7.1.60 firmware

"Should I roll back to prior release?"

Yes

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@dkornaros wrote:

Access Control (which I've never had issues with before) now randomly blocks my laptop from accessing all websites...can't even run speedtest successfully.  The Access Control list shows the device as connected and allowed the entire time.  Reboot of laptop, router and satellite have no impact.
As soon as I turn off Access Control, everything works fine.  When I turn it back on, behavior appears again.

Should I roll back to prior release?

I agree this is unexpected. Access Control should affect whether devices are allowed on the network. It's an "all or nothing" thing.

As an experiment, can you access devices on the local network?  (browser opens the Orbi web interface, correct?  Are there any devices that respond to ping or have web interfaces of their own?)

Is web access the only thing affected?  (email still works? any other internet apps work, or don't work?)

This laptop is the only device affected by Access Control?

Horace Greeley wouldn't say this, but "GO BACK Young Man. Go Back!"

Message 3 of 8
dkornaros
Tutor

Thanks for responding!   to address your questions....

Q: "As an experiment, can you access devices on the local network?  (browser opens the Orbi web interface, correct?  Are there any devices that respond to ping or have web interfaces of their own?)"  

A: When the behavior appears, I can only access the Orbi web interface.  No email, websites, speedtest fails. I can't even access the Orbi satellite IP address (I get the blocked by access control black/red banner). But oddly, the Access control list shows that my laptop is allowed and connected.

Q: "Is web access the only thing affected?  (email still works? any other internet apps work, or don't work?)"

A: Everything is affected: web, email, speedtest

Q: "This laptop is the only device affected by Access Control?"

A: I haven't tested with other computers, but when the issue presents, my phone (on same network) works fine.  Are you thinking the authorization of my laptop is corrupted in the access control list?

As soon as I turn off Access Control, my laptop has no issues.

Message 4 of 8
dkornaros
Tutor

Additionally, when I witnessed the odd access control behavior, I also noticed that my orbi Satellite (RBS50) which had a "good" backchannel connection to the RBR50, was being "blocked" by access control.  Bizarre.  How can the satellite be blocked from the main router when the backchannel is active and connection is good? Why is the satellite even showing up on the access control list?   I've never seen that before.

I saw 2 items being blocked that seemed related to the satellite:
1) RBS50 (with a MAC address matching the tag under the sat unit)

2) a MAC address that was the same except for last 2 digits, which included the title "Dev" in it.  I wish I had a screen capture.

I can only guess that the RBS50 had some kind of ghost MAC address it was broadcasting.

I allowed both MAC addresses (in access control) and the issue went away temporarily, only to appear again a day later.

I'm wondering if I should do a complete factory reset (remove all access control privs, reset router, download latest firmware, set up again from scratch).  It will take several hours, which is why I'm attempting to try other workarounds first. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
thethirdnut
Guide

@dkornaros 

I just had very similar behaviour with my RBS50 running 2.7.2.104 and then also still in 2.7.2.102 when I manually downgraded.

-- devices can connect to Satellite over Wifi

-- everything shows 100% good, normal in Access Control

-- devices on the satellite can bring up the Router web interface, but everything else blocked even the satellite web interface which I was running through

-- no issues on devices on wireless with router or anything ethernet

I had prior issues with devices getting randomly blocked and then log into web int to fix. This is first time I've seen satellite getting completely hosed like this.

Solution for now was to disable access control completely and then everything worked.

Might do a factory reset when time permits.

Message 6 of 8
dkornaros
Tutor

I recommend trying the factory reset and configuring from scratch.  I ended up just getting a new Orbi RBR50/RBS50 combo on Amazon, which is now running V2.7.2.104 with Access Control ON and it operates just fine. I set up the new unit as a fresh install and manually added all my devices.  Arduous, but now I have a back up Orbi unit just in case. 

I wouldn't recommend buying a new unit to solve the problem, however. I only did that because I was also having issues with my Internet provider (Spectrum) and they kept trying to blame the Orbi for what turned out to be a cable wiring issue (their mistake).  I love Orbi's.  My old set up (now the back up) went 4 years with hardly any issues.

Message 7 of 8
thethirdnut
Guide

I will try a reset when time permits. Thanks.

I had this beauty of a situation come up yesterday - had to take a screenshot.

Basically it seems if you get a good, stable setup don't touch or upgrade it otherwise it'll likely bork something...kinda sad.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7