Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Adding another Satellite

cms7770
Follower

Orbi Adding another Satellite

Hello Everyone

I am new to this discussion board so forgive if i am repeating a question that might have already been answered. I purchased the Orbi set (AC3000) . I have a one bedroom in NYC with extermely thick walls so really no router has completed worked in my house i  have always had to have muliple repeaters , extenders to help the signal to reach all areas which it never fully worked I also had the cable company come to my house many times to try to figure it out each time they said put another cable modem in the living of course that would increase my cost of my bill so that never was going to happened. Also i would always keep buying the new routers as soon as they would come out to get the best of the best which never ever really worked for me. So now i brought the Orbi which has great reviews :). So I have hooked it up everything seems like it getting a good signal expect my TV for my ps4 and one part of my sofa I have was thinking of buying add-on satellite my question is will the add-on satellite repeat the signal from the router or the satellite that is in place ?

Please help

thank you for listening

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Orbi Adding another Satellite

All Satellites only talk with the Router directly.  Star Topology, not Mesh.

If you have the cable modem and orbi router next to an exterior wall on one side of your home and your satellite like one wall over towards the center of the house, and the signal is crappy past the next wall heading away from the satellite, then adding another satellite won't help because it is not going to have a good signal from the router on the far end of the house to work with.

You say you have really thick walls.  Can you put your cable modem/Orbi Router in the center of your house and then the satellite on one side of the house one or two walls away?  If you can and that satellite still works well, then it would make sense to get another satellite to duplicate that effort for the other side of the house.

Hope that makes sense.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
loomis1975
Luminary

Re: Orbi Adding another Satellite

All Satellites only talk with the Router directly.  Star Topology, not Mesh.

If you have the cable modem and orbi router next to an exterior wall on one side of your home and your satellite like one wall over towards the center of the house, and the signal is crappy past the next wall heading away from the satellite, then adding another satellite won't help because it is not going to have a good signal from the router on the far end of the house to work with.

You say you have really thick walls.  Can you put your cable modem/Orbi Router in the center of your house and then the satellite on one side of the house one or two walls away?  If you can and that satellite still works well, then it would make sense to get another satellite to duplicate that effort for the other side of the house.

Hope that makes sense.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7