Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - All ethernet ports shut down when one disconnects

malove
Aspirant

Orbi - All ethernet ports shut down when one disconnects

I've got an Orbi BRK53 setup in my house. One of the satellites and three computers are connected through wired ethernet connections (two through a secondary switch). Everything else is wireless. 

When I unplug one of the computers from the wired ethernet connections, it knocks out everything else that is wired offline (i.e., the satellite and other two computers). Everything connected to the now offline satellite also goes offline.

To fix the issue, I have to reset the Orbi system.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Or how to fix it?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Orbi - All ethernet ports shut down when one disconnects

@malove wrote:

I've got an Orbi BRK53 setup in my house. One of the satellites and three computers are connected through wired ethernet connections (two through a secondary switch). Everything else is wireless. 

When I unplug one of the computers from the wired ethernet connections, it knocks out everything else that is wired offline (i.e., the satellite and other two computers). Everything connected to the now offline satellite also goes offline.

To fix the issue, I have to reset the Orbi system.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Or how to fix it?

Sounds like a wiring issue. Coming from the Orbi RBR50 router, is the network cable connected directly to the wired RBS50 satellite, or is the switch in the middle? Try temporarily eliminating the switch to see if that is the problem.

Message 2 of 6
malove
Aspirant

The RBR50 is directly connected to the RBS50, one of the computers, and the switch. The switch then has two more computers connected to it (a room with one ethernet connection, that I am splitting to two computers).

The computer that is being disconnected is one of the computers connected to the switch. Seems weird that unplugging one would create issues for everything else wired in.

Message 3 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

So the network cable is coming from the RBR50 router directly to the switch? What brand and model is the switch? Have you run a temporary test cable to rule out the cable connection?

Message 4 of 6
malove
Aspirant

The RBR50 is running directly into the switch. The switch is a Dlink DGS-108 (unmanaged).

The cables all work fine when everything is plugged in. Its only disconnecting a device that throws all the others offline as well. I can test out replacing some of the cables (but not the ones running through the walls).

Message 5 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

If possible remove the switch from the equation and plug the cable you usually disconnect from the switch directly into the router. Once connected, unplug that cable and see if it brings the system down.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7