Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App 2.2 is Coming Soon!

tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi App 2.2 is Coming Soon!

That will certainly NOT be included since this is merely a new version of the Orbi App, not a new firmware version (which would be required to disable auto-updating).

Message 26 of 61
Retired_Member
Not applicable

This is just the App (on your phone). Works great.... And before I get slammed, this is just the App it isn't going to solve the Orbi gear problems (although mine works like a charm 1xRTR, 3x Satellites).
Message 27 of 61
JeremyWxB
Guide

The new app is great. It would be even better if it used the device name in the list of Remote & local devices, rather than the model. I have two different Orbi setups in two locations - both have RBR50 routers - and that is what is listed. No ideal when making a selection!

Message 28 of 61
rivets
Apprentice

New app is not that great. Very slow to start up. Tried remote management and it doesnt seem to want to connect. The connected devices list just has everything marked as connected to the router rather than identifying the satellite (if they are connected there). Once I very briefly saw a device marked as connected to one of my satellites and then it changed - I know that there are several devices connected to the satellites as I can see them when I login to them.

If you pop up the system map and click on a satellite, none of the connected devices are shown - everything appears on the router.

Message 29 of 61
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That's odd, mine show the exact names I gave them. Both the Orbi devices and my connected devices (and per satellite in network map). That along with the ability to edit every device's name.
Message 30 of 61
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I think you mean not great for you.

Why would you want remote management, are you actually remote? (I think RM is a horrible idea for 99+% of users). Most can barely manage when locally connected.

Regardless, mine opens with the speed of any other IOS app (maybe it is your phone?). And it displays all of my services and any unique names I've given them (per satellite in network map).

So, it - along with Orbi in general - work great for me. What I don't get is how it would be possible for Netgear to have such horrible manufacturing processes. Seems like a huge amount of skew given the majority of owners globally work fine (if they didn't I think there would be an uproar beyond this forum) and those that seem to have ones that are broken.
Message 31 of 61
rivets
Apprentice

Oh, the app shows the names and let's me edit them. It just doesn't show me where devices are connected. It is definitely slow to start though - and it's not my phone.  It is more likely to be some issue with the Orbi firmware as I have a lot of problems with dropped connections and such like. I don't know if having the RBW30 on the system as well is causing an issue - it runs a much lower version of the firmware,

Message 32 of 61
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: RBW30

Might be. Could be they don't interoperate so well across "tiers". I guess apart from the radios there could be other differences and like you mentioned the lowest common denominator may dictate.
Message 33 of 61

Checking out the new app version today:

I would have prefered the new app not require an account other than the one on the device.  Less accounts is better. 🙂  Last pass friendly is good.

The only app problem I see right away is that the app, like the Orbi web management page, reports devices connected to a Satillite switchport as connected to Orbi Router instead of indicating it as "<Satelilite Device Name> Wired".  Or some other method that clearly delineates there is a wireless backbone dependancy but not a wireless to Orbi dependancy.

The Orbi management web interface should be updated to let it work with LastPass. 

Message 34 of 61
rivets
Apprentice

• Just installed a new beta and the App is now showing the correct device connections. However the satellites have connected weirdly to each other so it’s not all good 🙂
Message 35 of 61
franktribe
Apprentice

I like the App update. However, it is recommended to turn off remote management due to the VPNFilter Malware. I didn't see the Orbi on the list of impacted devices but, I am guessing if other Netgear products are on the list, then we should probably disable remote management.

Message 36 of 61
big_orbi_fan
Aspirant

Does this fix ethernet backhaul issue? I'm running a RBK50s on 2.1.4.10 and whenever I tried hardwiring them together the whole system goes haywire. I would like to participate in beta test 2.2 if this includes the fixes. Thanks.

Message 37 of 61
rivets
Apprentice

@big_orbi_fan wrote:

Does this fix ethernet backhaul issue? I'm running a RBK50s on 2.1.4.10 and whenever I tried hardwiring them together the whole system goes haywire. I would like to participate in beta test 2.2 if this includes the fixes. Thanks.

Sorry, I dont use ethernet backhaul (nowhere to run the wires...) so I don't know. The beta I'm running is a 2.1 series beta, so it may not anyway.

Message 38 of 61
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

I just tried out the updated OS version of the app. It shows my devices correctly connected, but other than being needed for setting up a new out-of-the-box system, I don't see why one would use it's limited capabilities instead of just logging into the router where you can do much more. Or, am I missing something?

Message 39 of 61
RocketSquirrel
Luminary

@Mayhugh1 wrote:

I just tried out the updated OS version of the app. It shows my devices correctly connected, but other than being needed for setting up a new out-of-the-box system, I don't see why one would use it's limited capabilities instead of just logging into the router where you can do much more. Or, am I missing something?

I don’t think you’re missing anything. The app is, as you say, limited. I think all electronics companies think they need an app to be cool like the other kids. I see no reason to use the app versus logging in to the Orbi via web browser.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 40 of 61
ssb24
Aspirant

Been using the previous app to monitor my network. Tried to use the new app today via iphone or ipad ... app wanted me to log in but kept telling me I had an incorrect password. Hit reset password and Netgear said it sent me an email with needed link to re-establish ... no email has come. Tried again and nothing received... am I doing something wrong? 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 41 of 61
ssb24
Aspirant

App just let me sign in with the original password... very strange. Appears this is solved. 

Message 42 of 61
BoutTime
Aspirant

Ok as this thread is supposed to be about the app and not router firmware I'll try and get us back on track.
App version 2.2 has a bug where if I close it down and reopen, it reports I have a Netgear Nighthawk router and doesn't work. It shows a red dot for connection. If I close the app and swipe it from recent apps (this is the Android version) to effectively kill the process, I can restart the app and it reports I'm connected to my Orbi again.
Message 43 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@ssb24

Try to reset your password here.

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

DarrenM

Message 44 of 61
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Bouttime

are you able to provide me a screenshot of this? so I can show the engineers.

DarrenM

Message 45 of 61
BoutTime
Aspirant

Hi. Not until Friday as I'm away from home until then.
Cheers.
Message 46 of 61
BobDuke
Apprentice

The Orbi app installed and is working on my Samsung S5 phone. 

The Orbi app will not install on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4", even though they are the same generation of Samsung hardware.  Playstore indicates "Your device is not compatible with this version".

The updates to the app are appreciated, just need to resolve the compatability issue. 

Message 47 of 61
loomis1975
Luminary

As far as I have been aware, the Orbi app has never been available on Android tablets.  Weird huh?  If I wanted it on a tablet, I put it on the Ipad.

Message 48 of 61
BobDuke
Apprentice

Very strange.  It's been working on my Android tablet since I purchased the system.

Don't forget some of us are allergic to Apple products 🙂

Message 49 of 61
BoutTime
Aspirant

After exiting App and re-openingAfter exiting App and re-openingNormal or after killing process in recent apps and re-openingNormal or after killing process in recent apps and re-opening

Message 50 of 61
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7