Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App Cannot Find Orbi Router

vbaNovice
Tutor

Orbi App Cannot Find Orbi Router

I purchased the Orbi package which includes one router (RBR850) and two APs (RBS850).  After lots of attempts trying different things, the Orbi app still cannot find the router.  Details below.

• I followed the app's instructions for setting up the new system, powering up the router with it plugged into the modem (fiber) and powering up the APs.  The APs are hard wired with Cat 5e through a switch.  I used the QR code on the router to connect to its default WiFi signal (ORBI##).  The app couldn't find the router
    • I confirmed the WiFi was actually connected and tried again, couldn't find it.
    • I turned off cellular (and never turned it back on for the rest of this troubleshooting), couldn't find it.
    • I confirmed the app's settings allow it to see the local network, couldn't find it.
    • I power cycled the system, confirming to still be connected to ORBI## when it came back up, couldn't find it.
    • I "forgot the ORBI##" SSID, searched for it, and manually re-connected by entering the password myself, couldn't find it.
  • I power cycled everything again, but didn't connect the switch (so the APs should be connecting to the router via the backhaul 5GHz).  I confirmed to still be connected to ORBI##, couldn't find it.
    • I power cycled everything again, couldn't find it.
    • I "forgot the ORBI##" SSID and manually re-connected again, couldn't find it.
  • I power cycled everything again and left the switch unconnected, but also didn't turn on the APs, trying only to connect to the router without any APs in the equation, couldn't find it

I called the Orbi support line and was told I'd get a call back in 20-25 minutes, but never did hear back (in fairness I wasn't very nice).  At this point I've decided the app is worthless for setting the system up.  I did the below while I waited for the call-back that never came.

• I power cycled everything, turning the APs back on and reconnecting the switch.  I checked my desktop PC and it has internet access through its wired connection to the router.  I went to 192.168.1.1 and, sure enough, there's the router and it's offering to set up the system.  (It actually tried to get me to go use the app first, but luckily there was an option to not use the app.)  I went through the setup process in the browser; it found the router and both APs.  I did the normal stuff you'd do when setting up a new system (passwords, firmware, SSIDs, etc.).
    • Everything in the house now has WiFi and internet access, the system is working as intended.  I pulled up the Orbi app and...it couldn't find the router and said I didn't have WiFi access.

I would still like to be able to access the system through the app, but right now I've concluded that the app for a $1,000 product is completely broken.  What am I missing here?

Edit: Added one additional confirmation I did on the app's settings.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Gravi_T
Tutor

Re: Orbi App Cannot Find Orbi Router

I tried to follow your solutions as well and had set it up via the ip login. Then stumbled upon the fact that I had prior netgear and nighthawk apps on my phone. I deleted those and then tried to connect through the Orbi app and it connected immediately.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 17

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Is there another smartphone or tablet that the Orbi app can be installed on?

Message 2 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. I forgot to mention that Netgear has separate community forums for the AX product:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax 

and for the Orbi "app"

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/bd-p/en-home-orbi-app 

Somtimes people watch only one of the many Orbi forums. Posting the question in one of the other forums may attract the notice of someone who has encountered this before.

Message 3 of 17
vbaNovice
Tutor

Ok, I can provide an update.  I did as you suggested and tried another iPhone in the house (same model, same iOS version) and the app immediately found the router.  Something is up with my app or phone's settings.  I tried deleting the app and reinstalling, but it still couldn't find the router.  I did some digging online and it seems iOS can save app settings for up to a day, so I deleted the app and waited a couple days before reinstalling.  The app did boot up as though it had never been opened before, making me think the settings had been wiped.  But, it still cannot find the router.

Any ideas on what else to look for that may be blocking the app from seeing the router?  Or even detecting the WiFi network my phone is on (since the app says it can't find one)?

Message 4 of 17
DrOtor
Aspirant

Basically the same issue.  Orbi app won't connect to the Wifi6 RB850 system.  I can log on and manage through a browser.

Message 5 of 17
Gravi_T
Tutor

I tried to follow your solutions as well and had set it up via the ip login. Then stumbled upon the fact that I had prior netgear and nighthawk apps on my phone. I deleted those and then tried to connect through the Orbi app and it connected immediately.
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 6 of 17
DrOtor
Aspirant

Thanks!

Deleting two old netgear apps on my phone immediately worked.  After a few months, now the orbi app works.

@Gravi_T wrote:

Message 7 of 17
vbaNovice
Tutor

@Gravi_T wrote:

Gravi_T, your solution fit the bill!  I also had a Nighthawk and Netgear app on my phone from my previous home network.  Deleting those immediately resolved the issue.  Now, keep in mind I had deleted the Orbi app some time ago, so I don't know if it would've worked so seamlessly if I still had the Orbi app installed.  Steps I just did:

1. Delete Nighthawk and Netgear apps
  2. Re-download the Orbi app
  3. Start the Orbi app, sign in, and the app finds the Orbi network

Thank you for posting your solution!

Message 8 of 17
NOJ
Aspirant
Aspirant

+1   

This worked immediately!

Thank you!!

Message 9 of 17
Thor76
Aspirant

This worked for me I want to say thanks toe posting this fix!!! I logged in just to say thank you! I spent 3 hours trying everything to get this pos app to work. The funny thing is I had the nighthawk app installed on my phone but never even logged into it odd how it conflicted. Once I deleted the nighthawk app it instantly found it. Maybe net gear can post that issue as one of the solutions.
Message 10 of 17
Gravi_T
Tutor

Glad that the fix worked for you! It was an act of desperation more than an insightful solution. Agree - I hope they build it into the procedural documentation or do a software fix so that it saves people a lot of pain and time!

Message 11 of 17
Nagat_C
Aspirant

I never had any prior Netgear apps and I am still struggling to have the Orbi app detect the RBR850 router. I exhausted the options on the Orbi app and deleted/reinstalled app and it is unable to find the router. I enabled bridge mode on my ISP modem as that was a solution that worked in another thread, but that was unsuccessful. It is quite frustrating that the app does not detect the router... I am unable to connect to the router through my macbook laptop browser (orbilogin.net and .com).

During the initial installation, the app did work until it was closed then restarted. I'm not sure what else to do....

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 17
Gravi_T
Tutor

Hi Nagat_C, have you tried logging in via the browser with the address 192.168.1.1 (it is as for my Rbk50 not sure if different for the 850). I actually logged in this way and had set up the router and satellite before I figured out the fix for the app.
Message 13 of 17
Nagat_C
Aspirant

I tried that IP and the 10.0.0.1 ( I think that is it?) which both yielded no results.
Message 14 of 17
TeeStones
Aspirant

Orbi Tri-Band WiFi 6 Mesh System, 6Gbps, Router + 1 Satellite. I have done all of the above and still cannot access the Orbi app. One thing I did was change the wpa2 to Wpa3 and then it worked but some of the devices now lost signal. So I’m stuck too.
Message 15 of 17
Nagat_C
Aspirant

I changed to WPA3 as well... I'm still stuck...

Message 16 of 17
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello,

For those still experiencing issues with your Orbi router connecting to the Orbi app, please send me a private message with the following info: 

Email:

Phone:

Preferred Contact Time: (including time zone)

Serial Number:

Orbi Router Firmware Version:

Orbi App Version: (please also specify if it's iOS or Android) 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7