Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi App Device Signal Strength Misleading?

amweiss
Tutor

Orbi App Device Signal Strength Misleading?

I have an RBS850 Satellite (the model options above doesn't have the latest products), connected to an RBR850 router.  My computer is inches away from the satellite and showing a strong signal.  If I go into the app and look at the devices it says my computer has an moderate signal (2 of 3 bars).  Does anyone know why there is such a difference?  The same thing happens for my iphone (strong signal on the phone, but moderate on the app).  Thanks.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi App Device Signal Strength Misleading?

you may want to post your questions here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 4
amweiss
Tutor

Thanks..I'll do that now.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@amweiss wrote:

I have an RBS850 Satellite (the model options above doesn't have the latest products), connected to an RBR850 router.  My computer is inches away from the satellite and showing a strong signal.  If I go into the app and look at the devices it says my computer has an moderate signal (2 of 3 bars).  Does anyone know why there is such a difference?  The same thing happens for my iphone (strong signal on the phone, but moderate on the app).  Thanks.

I can think of two possibilities: (a) The device is measuring signal strength of the Orbi and using some formula to translate from a numeric value (sich as rssi) to "bars" while the Orbi is measuring signal strength of the device, which may have a tiny antenna and low power output, and (b) those forumulas are not the same.  It would be much more useful if both devices would report signal strength as a number rather than the stupid "bars."

As an example, the telnet command satelliteinfo wifi shows information about the backhaul link between router and satellite.  Mine shows this for two satellites:

{
"mac address" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "A0:04:xx:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-68",
"backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "780",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "780",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
},
{
"mac address" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"hop" : "1",
"bridge mac" : "14:59:C0:xx:xx:xx",
"backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
"backhaul rssi" : "-59",
"backhaul macaddress" : "",
"backhaul phytxrate" : "866",
"backhaul phyrxrate" : "650",
"backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:xx:xx:xx"
}

Notice how the transmission and receive rates for the second satellite are different? (866 vs 650)  Both Orbi RB50's (same physical components, same antennas).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7