Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi App in Access Point Mode

Trusted_Whitey
Aspirant

Orbi App in Access Point Mode

Is it possible to use the Orbi app when the router is just in access point mode and using a non-netgear router? I would just like to be access the Wi-Fi settings

Message 1 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes and the app only supports Orbi systems. For non orbi NG routers, you have to use Genie for those models.

Message 2 of 22
Trusted_Whitey
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear and I wouldn't be using any type of netgear router (a draytek in fact) just an Orbi router in access point mode with two other satellites.

I just want to use the Orbi app to access the Wi-Fi settings

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Should work fine for AP mode.

Message 4 of 22
ciacci
Aspirant

Same question there is a chance to use orbi app in AP mode?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point

@ciacci wrote:
Same question there is a chance to use orbi app in AP mode?

Message 6 of 22
ukwildcat4life7
Aspirant

If I set up my Orbi router and satellite in access point mode will all the functions of the orbi app ( particularly remote access) still work or will that be disabled while in access point mode?  Any input greatly appreciated as I can't find any informaton on this.  Thanks

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

App should work however some features may not be supported in AP mode since they are dependent upon router mode. 

You can test this out and see how it works for you, if it doesn't you can revert back. 

@ukwildcat4life7 wrote:

If I set up my Orbi router and satellite in access point mode will all the functions of the orbi app ( particularly remote access) still work or will that be disabled while in access point mode?  Any input greatly appreciated as I can't find any informaton on this.  Thanks

Message 8 of 22
ciacci
Aspirant

Hi my point is diffirent i've already set-up in AP mode, all works with web based control interface (using IP nr. for connect not orbilogin.com address) from computer with basic feature not related to a router mode, question is if there is a chance to login with the mobile app (seem no...)

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

So the app doesn't seem to connect to your Orbi in AP mode? 

@Blanca_O

Message 10 of 22
ciacci
Aspirant

Exactly , the app even if we are under same Wifi is unable to find the router, appear the usual message "issue connecting with..."

consider that also the computer have issue to connect under "orbilogin.com" it works only with exact IP address of the router

I think there is a limit in AP mode that conflict with the app and usual standard addresses

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask about this.

@Blanca_O

@ciacci wrote:

Exactly , the app even if we are under same Wifi is unable to find the router, appear the usual message "issue connecting with..."

consider that also the computer have issue to connect under "orbilogin.com" it works only with exact IP address of the router

I think there is a limit in AP mode that conflict with the app and usual standard addresses

Message 12 of 22
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

The App does work in Ap mode
I have used both router and Ap mode.
Message 13 of 22
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

Can you provide more information on your setup,
IP addresses of devices like routers, access points ect.
When setting Orbi in Ap mode did you assign a ip or leave it dynamic ?
Message 14 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@ciacci wrote:

Message 15 of 22
ciacci
Aspirant

Hi sorry but i was forced to switch to router mode due to a fault on the other router... now the mobile app works fine

in any case previous set up was: AP mode - dynamic IP or fixed nothing change - only acces wia web based app with direct IP connection, no chance to use the mobile app

Now switching to router mode the app connect flawlessly

thanks

Message 16 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working. Wonder why it works for others in AP mode and others no so much.

Enjoy, Smiley Wink

@ciacci wrote:

Hi sorry but i was forced to switch to router mode due to a fault on the other router... now the mobile app works fine

in any case previous set up was: AP mode - dynamic IP or fixed nothing change - only acces wia web based app with direct IP connection, no chance to use the mobile app

Now switching to router mode the app connect flawlessly

thanks

Message 17 of 22
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

By any chance was the other router that was in use also a Netgear ?
Message 18 of 22
ciacci
Aspirant

No was an old pro router from tp-link TL-R600vpn with dhcp on
Message 19 of 22
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

I am stumped 🤔
Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

You two might compair you configurations and hw to see if there is any differences maybe. Theres got to be something thats causing one not to work. 

@Blanca_O

Message 21 of 22
Steven_Belfast
Apprentice

My configuration is a little random 😂

Have my ISP provided router going via Ethernet to Orbi set up in Ap mode.

From Orbi it goes to a 8 port managed switch in another room.

The Orbi Satellite in also in another room using wireless back haul.

Main router has ip of 1.253
Orbi manually set in Orbi to 1.252
Switch manually to to 1.254
Both switch and Orbi have DHCP off

I have other Netgear Nighthawk’s that I tested the Nighthawk app on and connected to switch in Ap mode they also worked as long as I was connected to the right ap was able to use both apps with no problems.
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7