Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Assigning device to IP already Reserved

Juice2boost
Follower

Orbi Assigning device to IP already Reserved

Today I went and reserved a couple of devices to an IP that way if I lose power, It will be assigned to that same IP when power is restored. Such things as my NAS and my Smart Home Hub. 

I signed into orbilogin, went to the Advanced tab, Setup, LAN Setup and added the devices to the reservation list. Rebooted my Orbi and everything went pretty smooth. It assigned the 2 devices I set up to those IP addresses.

When I went to check what it did with my other devices, I noticed it set my Xbox to the same IP address as my NAS automatically. I didnt add the Xbox to my reservation list, the router automatically did it on its own. I tried unplugging the ethernet from the back of the router to the xbox, rebooting the router, waiting a couple of minutes and plugged the xbox back in. Still assigned the same IP again as my NAS reservation. Cant figure how to get it assigned to something else. Am i missing something?

Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Assigning device to IP already Reserved

What happens if you assign an IP address to the xbox in the UI, using someting different than you used for the other devices. 

It's possible that you coinsidently assigned the IP address after the xbox already had it Dynamically assigned. However after disconnecting the xbox and rebooting the RBR, the assignment should have been only seen with the reservation you setup for the other device. Possible that the xbox hasn't released it's cached networking info as well. 

Be sure to press the xbox power button until the xbox turns off. Then let go. This will clear out the game consoles networking cached info. Keep it off, then reboot the RBR. First check to ensure your other IP address reservations are in place and working for those devices. If so, then power ON the xbox. 

@Juice2boost wrote:

Today I went and reserved a couple of devices to an IP that way if I lose power, It will be assigned to that same IP when power is restored. Such things as my NAS and my Smart Home Hub. 

I signed into orbilogin, went to the Advanced tab, Setup, LAN Setup and added the devices to the reservation list. Rebooted my Orbi and everything went pretty smooth. It assigned the 2 devices I set up to those IP addresses.

When I went to check what it did with my other devices, I noticed it set my Xbox to the same IP address as my NAS automatically. I didnt add the Xbox to my reservation list, the router automatically did it on its own. I tried unplugging the ethernet from the back of the router to the xbox, rebooting the router, waiting a couple of minutes and plugged the xbox back in. Still assigned the same IP again as my NAS reservation. Cant figure how to get it assigned to something else. Am i missing something?

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@Juice2boost wrote:

Welcome to the fascinating world of DHCP.  As you have learned, there is often a disconnect between the LAN Setup and the IP address that a device actually has.  There's a great description here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol 

When a device comes on, it broadcasts a DHCP request and often says, "This is the IP I had before.  Can I please have it again?", and the DHCP server looks at what is on the network, finds there is no conflict, and says, "Sure.  Keep using it."  To force a device to give up on the old IP and have the DHCP server (Orbi) look in the LAN table, there has to be a device already on the network with the address.  I have had to do this several times.  I get out an old mobile phone, define it to have the IP that my device is "stuck on".  Turn off my device.  Power on the phone.  It gets the IP.  Then, I turn the device back on.  It asks for the IP, and the Orbi says, "Sorry kid.  That's not available."  PAIN IN THE "network".

The LAN assignment table is also not "exclusive".  Orbi is happy to have someone set up multiple devices to get the same IP.  Maybe you have several iPads, but only use one at a time.

Anyway, what matters is what the Attached Devices page shows, not what the LAN reservation table shows.  Do you actually have two devices on the network with the same IP?  (I bet not.)

Message 3 of 10
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

@Juice2boost wrote:

Anyway, what matters is what the Attached Devices page shows, not what the LAN reservation table shows.  Do you actually have two devices on the network with the same IP?  (I bet not.)

Yes, this also happened to me.  Yes, there are two devices on the network with the same IP address, both showed up in the Attached Devices page.  See attached picture or check out this thread.  I had to reboot the network/clients to resolve this.  It's one of the reasons I stop reserving IP addresses for clients, except for the two Orbi satellites. 

Message 4 of 10

Is it possible to tell an Xbox to use a particular RIP address and then to reserve that in the router?

Likewise the NAS?

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Is it possible to tell an Xbox to use a particular RIP address and then to reserve that in the router?

Likewise the NAS?

This is a cleaver idea.  Most devices have the option of defining a static IP.  Another technique is to assign IP's in a range that is outside of the DHCP "pool".  Devices can still use DHCP to get an IP from the Obri, but devices that are not in the LAN setup will get one from the pool.

Thanks for posting the screen shot.  I had thought the ARP mechanism would have flagged the duplicate IP's.

Message 6 of 10
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Yes, that would work, but it's a chore to reserve/static IP addresses for all clients on the network to avoid this problem.  It's almost the same thing as turning off DHCP server on the Orbi, which is basically turning it into semi AP Mode.  I'm planning to turn on DHCP server on the NAS and turn off DHCP server on the Orbi so I don't have to deal with upgrade mess.

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes. I always reserver my two xboxes for 192.168.1.149 and .150. Soon as the RBR is online and getting setup. Connect both consoles then reserve IPs. Hard Power the xbox OFF and reboot the RBR. No IP address conflicts seen after this. 

@michaelkenward wrote:

Likewise the NAS?

Message 8 of 10

@SW_ wrote:

Yes, that would work, but it's a chore to reserve/static IP addresses for all clients on the network to avoid this problem. 

Just stick with the stuff that causes problems. There can't be many Xboxes on a network.

Message 9 of 10
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@michaelkenward wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

Yes, that would work, but it's a chore to reserve/static IP addresses for all clients on the network to avoid this problem. 

Just stick with the stuff that causes problems. There can't be many Xboxes on a network.

Right, that was what I did initially.  Then this problem just moved to the next sticky device on my network.  My observation is that if any cient goes into power saving mode, it will have this problem (connected but no Internet) with Orbi until it's rebooted, a similar problem with green switch.  Instead of chasing this problem, my solution was to turn off power saving on all the clients on my network and reboot stubborn clients that don't let me turn off power saving, which fortunately are just a few.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7