Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi + August smart lock frquent disconnect/reconnect

physast
Guide

Orbi + August smart lock frquent disconnect/reconnect

I have a CBR750 with one satelite mesh system on a 1GB cable internet. I have about 20 devices connected. My issue is that my august smart locks (wifi versions) keep disconnecting and reconnecting. This happens many times a day and sometimes upto 15 times a day. I think this is also causing the battery life of the smart lock to drain faster.

My current firmware is: V4.6.3.6_2.0.48

Any ideas?

P.S. I did not see my model in the drop down list

Message 1 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

It is indeed frustrating that Netgear does not update the product numbers on the forum menu.

Can you please describe how you are aware that the August smart lock is doing this?

(from a smartphone app?  from the Orbi app?  from the Orbi web interface?)

Message 2 of 37
physast
Guide

The disconnect messages are from the August app. Also I have randomly logged in to the Orbi app and noticed the August locks not connected.
Message 3 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

WiFi signals fluctuate in strength and quality. When I open a WiFi "analyzer" program that displays graphs of signal strength,I see channels vary all the time.  Seems like WiFi devices should be designed to handle this.

Is this one specific model of August smart lock?

It sounds like there are more than one lock. Do they all exhibit the same behavior?

Message 4 of 37
physast
Guide

We do live in a dense neighborhood with at least 10 other WiFi networks around us. I only have one version of the lock which is the August WiFi lock (does not need the august connect). I have not noticed this same behavior on other smart devices, but I might not have them setup to alert me of this.

I know that my august smart locks are supposed to have about 3 - 6 months of battery life, but mine barely get to a month. I read that this could be because the locks are disconnecting and reconnecting so many times.

Is there a beta firmware for my Orbi model that might address this? Is this a known issue?

Message 5 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@physast wrote:

Is there a beta firmware for my Orbi model that might address this? Is this a known issue?

I searched the Orbi forum for "August" and found only one other post.  It does not seem to be a frequent topic, which leads me to believe that it is not a known issue

I asked if all of the locks do the same thing because there is a chance that the WiFi signal is not strong enough at the antenna inside the lock body.  Moving the Orbi unit that the lock connects to just a few feet may make a difference in the connection.

(You laugh, but I had an embarassing issue with my home security system. One of the entry sensors would keep failing to respond, then responding, then failing, over and over, day after day.  THEN I realized that I had moved the Simplisafe base unit 3 feet to deal with an issue and had not moved it back. Slid the base unit back to where it was before, and the entry sensor is fine.  3 feet!)

August has a FAQ about WiFi which mentions the lock "bouncing" between Wifi access points, which may happen if the signal level is about the same.  So...

Another experiment would be to install a cheap WiFi extender that is close to the August lock and give it a different 2.4G SSID. For example, TP-Link N300 WiFi extender is $15 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195Y0A42/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=0b3354df312a9657... 

It can be plugged into a wall outlet close to the August lock. Connect it to the Orbi WiFi and create a different WiFi SSID on the extender so that there is only a single WiFi access point in the house with this SSID. (nowhere to "bounce" to).

I got one of these because someone posted that they did not work with Orbi, and sure enough, they do.  (when someone posts that a device under $20 doesn't connect to Orbi, I often buy one to see what happens.  I have paid more than $20 for a bottle of wine that is gone in an hour, so paying $20 for an hour's entertainment is fine with me.)

Otherwise, "I got nothin"

Message 6 of 37
physast
Guide

@CrimpOn 

Yes all the locks do the same thing. One of the locks is connected to the satelite which is about 4 feet away from the lock and the other locks are connecte to the main Orbi which are 10 and 20 feet away. I have not noticed if one does this more than the other, but will start paying more attention.

The extender is a good idea for a test. I might do something like that. I have also thought about turning off the 5Ghz and only running 2.4 for a while to see if this helps. The Enable AX is checked for both 5 and 2.4, would that do anything? I am not even sure what AX is (even after googling), must be old age and new tech.

I will try some more test and report back.

Message 7 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

I have watched several installation videos for the August Smart 4th Generation (WiFi). Every reviewer raves about the lock body being "substantial" and "heavy". Have yet to find where anyone bseides the FCC has opened the lock to see where the WiFi antenna is located. I cannot tell from the FCC submission exactly where the WiFi antenna and Bluetooth antennas are located.  The FCC picture seems to indicate that the antenna is right next to the motor, and toward the back of the case:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AB6UASL05/4458635 

WiFi does not do well when the signal must penetrate metal.  (People post all the time asking how to get an Orbi signal inside an outbuilding with metal walls and the answer is "not easily".)

It might be worth making a scale drawing of where Orbi WiFi access points are located relative to the August locks  If they are significantly "to the side", that might impede the WiFi signal.  Or....... I am totally out of my depth.

Message 8 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@physast wrote:

I have also thought about turning off the 5Ghz and only running 2.4 for a while to see if this helps. The Enable AX is checked for both 5 and 2.4, would that do anything? I am not even sure what AX is (even after googling), must be old age and new tech.

I am not aware of any Orbi that allows the user to disable 5G WiFi, and it doesn't matter because the August lock has only a 2.4G radio chip in it.  It cannot detect or be confused by 5G WiFi.

AX is the "latest and greatest" WiFi protocol, which offers higher speeds and claims to reduce battery use in small devices.  HOWEVER, AX is only useful if the customer has devices which are capable of using AX.  In my case, that is exactly zero.  There is almost no chance that the typical "Internet of Things" (IoT) devices in most houses can employ 802.11ax.  Turning off AX on the 2.4G band would be a great experiment.

Message 9 of 37
physast
Guide

I feel like this is not a bad idea, but something I am not willing to do yet. I feel like an easier solution to the porblem might exist and if August lock case was an issue then more people would be reporting it.

I checked some other forums and have found a few people complaining about disconnects and all are using Orbi. I will read through some to see if they have a solution. One solution I found was a firmware update, but that was on a different model than I have.

I just set the device in the Orbi app to 'smart lock' for the August locks. They were set to generic. I am not sure if this is just for my persnal satisfaction or if Netgear/Orbi uses this, for instance to only try to connect to 2.4 instead of trying to switch between the two.

Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi with Cable Modem Forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Thank you. 

Message 11 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@physast wrote:

I just set the device in the Orbi app to 'smart lock' for the August locks. They were set to generic. I am not sure if this is just for my personal satisfaction or if Netgear/Orbi uses this, for instance to only try to connect to 2.4 instead of trying to switch between the two.

My impression is that the "Device Type" code is entirely "something to look at" and has no impact on how Orbi deals with devices.

The August Smart Lock cannot switch between 2.4G and 5G because it has no 5G radio.  Apparently it can switch between WiFi access points (the FAQ talks about that).

If you have no devices which support 802.11ax, then disabling ax on the 2.4G channel cannot possibly harm anything. Would be interesting to see if removing that additional complexity helps the August locks. (I have searched for an explanation of what conditions might make enabling 802.11ax 'not good', but have yet to find anything that makes much sense.)

Message 12 of 37
ray-eqx
Aspirant

I have the exact same problem! Orbi RBR750 + RBS750, and a August Smart Lock Pro (3rd gen). The August connect module is 12ft away from the RBS750, with no walls between them.

Message 13 of 37
physast
Guide

I contacted August about the issue. They told me that the locks sometimes have issues with Orbi routers. I have the wifi version so they are sending me a connect to help. After what you are saying the connect might not help much.

Message 14 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@physast wrote:

I contacted August about the issue. They told me that the locks sometimes have issues with Orbi routers. I have the wifi version so they are sending me a connect to help. After what you are saying the connect might not help much.

This is a fascinating development.  I had thought that the big difference between the earlier August lock and the latest "WiFi" lock was that August abandoned that proprietary 900MHz radio link and replaced it with 2.4G WiFi.  Had not realized that the lastest lock might be capable of both.  Imagine, three radios in that lock! (900MHz August link, 2.4G Bluetooth, and 2.4G WiFi)

Message 15 of 37
Deekayone
Aspirant

Did the connect resolve the issue?
Message 16 of 37
physast
Guide

So far I am no longer getting any more disconnect/reconnect messages from the locks. However I do notice the connects disconnecting and reconnecting. While I don't think this has solved the issue, it might have solved the battery issue due to the disconnect/reconnect. I won't know for sure until about a month.

Message 17 of 37
Deekayone
Aspirant

Thank you for the response. I have the exact same issue. I have had an August connect with a 1st gen lock for two years and up until 3 months ago it worked well with my Orbi. When it began to disconnect multiple times per day I decided to get the gen 4 smart lock as it did not need a connect. I transferred my gen 1 lock to another door. Both devices would disconnect from the Orbi multiple times per day. I downgraded Orbi firmware, and disabled band steering. Neither of these solutions worked for me.
In the end I fired up my old linksys router by plugging it into on of my Orbi’s ports and set it to only broadcast on 2.4. This immediately caused both lockes to cease the disconnects and have been working flawlessly for days now.
Message 18 of 37
Drewmama
Guide

I have had an August wifi smart lock for almost 1.5 years now and it's worked wonderfully with my Orbi until about a week ago.  It disconnects from Wifi constantly.  I contacted August and after much troubleshooting, they sent me a new lock but it's doing the exact same thing.  I can setup the lock to connect to Wifi but then it disconnects and has a hard time reconnecting.  Since this new lock is having the same issues, I'm starting to believe it's my Wifi network.  Maybe the lock is trying to connect to 5 ghz?  I may try to set up a 2.4 ghz extender as someone else stated in one of the above posts and see if that works.

Message 19 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Which Orbi model (and which August lock model) is this?

The August lock does not contain a 5G radio.  It can sense only 2.4G WiFi signals. There is no incentive for manufacturers to include 5G WiFi capability in "Internet of Things" devices because (a) 2.4G has longer range and penetration than 5G, and (b) the amount of bandwidth is trivial, and (c) 2.4G WiFi chipsets are dirt cheap.

Message 20 of 37
Drewmama
Guide

Orbi RBK22 and August Smart Wifi Lock
I know the August isn't compatible with 5ghz. I'm at a loss as to why after having the same lock and wifi for over a year that the lock isn't working correctly. Even the new replacement lock behaves the same in that the wifi connection drops.
Message 21 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Can you describe more about how this problem presents itself?

• What makes you aware that the lock has disconnected?
  • Is there anything in the Orbi log?
    Does the log show when the lock is assigned an IP address when it connects?
  • Does it ever reconnect by itself? Or, how do you get it to reconnect?

Message 22 of 37
Drewmama
Guide

I know it disconnects because it periodically won't work remotely but works when on Bluetooth. Also, the wifi icon will be grayed out and after trying to connect, the lock icon will say "unknown". Also, when I check my devices in the Orbi app, the August lock isn't listed. It does shown an IP address.
How can I get to the Orbi log?
I honestly don't know what causes it to reconnect. But when it does, I can see the August lock listed under the 2.4 list. But when I try to unlock/lock while connected to wifi, the lock icon will just pulsate, the light on the lock itself will slowly blink red and then eventually it will say "unknown".

I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra but I've also tried on an iphone 11 and have the same problem.
Message 23 of 37
atejwani
Apprentice

IMHO - The issues are related to the firmwares on CBR750 & RBS750, and not the WiFi devices themselves!

V4 firmware updates, both Netgear official and beta releases, have led to 1) Perfomance degradation and 2) Stability, as compared to the V3 firmwares, which I had from Dec 2020 till Aug/Sep 2021, when V4 firmwares that were pushed to our hardware. V3 was very stable!!!

Since Dec 2020 I have had CBK752 "Kit" which consists of:

1. CBR750 (Cable Modem & Wireless Router) - Currently on Netgear official release V4.6.5.8 ( https://www.netgear.com/support/download/?model=CBR750 )
  2. RBS750 (Satelite) - Currently on "Official" beta release, link provided by @FURRYe38  ( https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-v... )

In my 2 story, 2600 sq. ft home,  have about 30 WiFi devices, mix of 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz (and about 20 Zwave (908.42 Mhz) - ZWave just FYI and not relevant for this discussion). Some of the WiFi devices are "static" devices, in close proximity to the Satelite, and should connect to the Satelite. They randomly keep "bouncing" between the Router and Satelite, leading to a very unstable network!!!

I am attaching a few screen shots.

Mr. @FURRYe38 - You seem to be the conduit to Netgear Supoort and have provided "official" beta releases. How about beta firmware for CBR750, or @DarrenM (Moderator) - can this be provided?

CBR750CBR750RBS750RBS750RBS750RBS750

TIA,

Al

@Drewmama wrote:
I know it disconnects because it periodically won't work remotely but works when on Bluetooth. Also, the wifi icon will be grayed out and after trying to connect, the lock icon will say "unknown". Also, when I check my devices in the Orbi app, the August lock isn't listed. It does shown an IP address.
I honestly don't know what causes it to reconnect. But when it does, I can see the August lock listed under the 2.4 list. But when I try to unlock/lock while connected to wifi, the lock icon will just pulsate, the light on the lock itself will slowly blink red and then eventually it will say "unknown".

I have a Samsung Note 20 Ultra but I've also tried on an iphone 11 and have the same problem.

Message 24 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

@Drewmama wrote:

Thanks for describing the problem.  It appears that we now have mixed two discussions about the August Lock:

• The original issue involving the Orbi RBR750 router and
  • Your issue with the RBR20 router.

The Orbi log is on the Orbi web interface (http://orbilogin.net) The Advanced Tab, Administration Menu, Logs.

To finish the thought, the August lock will reconnect, but not actually function?  How do you get it to begin working over WiFi again?

Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7