Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi + August smart lock frquent disconnect/reconnect

Drewmama
Guide

Re: Orbi + August smart lock frquent disconnect/reconnect

Thanks for the info re: Orbi log.
When the August actually connects to Wifi, it MIGHT work but more often it just keeps saying "Connecting" until it changes to "Unknown".
I'm just frustrated because like I said, everything worked well the last 1.5 years and I haven't changed anything. August even sent me a new lock because they couldn't figure it out but this new lock is doing the exact same thing. I love my August and my Orbi and I just want them to play nice together!
Message 26 of 37
Deekayone
Aspirant

I read somewhere in another thread months ago that this issue could be related to how the Orbi handles band steering in the v4 firmware. I too owned an August lock and Orbi RbR50 for 2 years w/o issue. Then one firmware update and all of these problems began. That is what led me to simply connecting my old Router to my Orbi Satellite only allow the 2.4ghz band to broadcast. This proved to be an affective work around. 

Message 27 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

@atejwani 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi With Cable Modem products. The CBR750 differs from the standard Orbi system and your question should be posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 28 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

Grrrr.  @Drewmama I think it would help bring clarity to the discussion if you could open a new post.  Things are so "mixed up" now that people are talking about different things.

• Your RBR20 does not have a "version 4" firmware. That is an issue with the AX products.
  • Your RBR20 is not a "Cable Modem" model.

It is really not helpful that Netgear removed the telnet option with firmware V2.7.3.22.  There have been a number of issues with this firmware that users have solved by manually loading a previous firmware.  With telnet, it is easy to display exactly when the Orbi firmware was installed.  (a file appropriately named firmware_time)  That version came out in August of 2021, but it is unclear when Netgear began pushing the update to users without informing them.  If the August lock problem began shortly after firmware was updated, then "duh. sort of obvious." 

Do you have access to Microsoft Excel?

Message 29 of 37
Drewmama
Guide

Ok. I will create a new post. Sorry for the confusion.
Message 30 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

I sent you a private message. Please click in the upper right part of the page.

Message 31 of 37
Drewmama
Guide

Private message to me? Don't see any messages.
Message 32 of 37
CrimpOn
Guru

I tried again.

Message 33 of 37
Mikey94025
Hero

I have the August 4G lock and have used it with Orbi AC, AX, and now AXE systems.  It is problemmatic even with my current Orbi AXE (963RBKE) connected to its dedicated 2.4Ghz-only IoT radio/SSID.  I've found that unless I change 2.4Ghz CTS/RTS Threshold from the default 64 to 2347, the August app will not be able to connect to that wirelesd SSID.  Running 2.4Ghz with CTS/RTS=2347 and AX mode unchecked, I can connect though my August lock alerts me that it disconnects and reconnects multiple times a day (so I just disabled the Notify When Offline setting).  I just set 2.4Ghz Preamble=Long to see if it improves the connectivity.

When I had the Orbi AX (and I think also the Orbi AC), the August lock was one of the devices that had to connect to another backup wireless router I ran for compatibility.

Message 34 of 37

@Mikey94025  I know this is about six months old, but I'm curious if the changes you made to the preamble worked for you.  I have the August lock and an Orbi system dealing with the same exact issues.

Message 35 of 37
physast
Guide

The disconnects seemed to disappear for awhile, but have started coming back. However I have not noticed fast battery drains as I was before.

Message 36 of 37
Mikey94025
Hero

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

@Mikey94025  I know this is about six months old, but I'm curious if the changes you made to the preamble worked for you.  I have the August lock and an Orbi system dealing with the same exact issues.

I continue to run my AXE's 2.4Ghz with RTS/CTS Threshold=2347, Preamble=Long to maximize connectivity with older clients like the August 4G lock.  I turned off the disconnect notifications so I don't know if it's been helpful.

I also had an old August Connect that was used with my 3G lock, and discovered I could connect it to the 4G (via bluetooth) and use it for wireless.  I think the Connect has better 2.4Ghz connectivity than the 4G lock itself.

Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7