Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Blocking Websites

Gwgfree
Initiate

Orbi Blocking Websites

After returning home and having the orbi offline (4 week) we turned everything back on and are having this issue:
-some websites, including the Netgear website, are being blocked. Typical error message includes a “this page not available” or asks for login credentials. Other sites include Netflix, AJC
-if I bypass the orbi and connect directly to my ISP router (WiFi, ATT) the sites come up.
-I cannot find any commonality between the websites being blocked.
-effect is on all devices (Mac, android and PC) and all browsers.
Haven’t reset the orbi yet, but have rebooted.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 42
yasirfaheem
Guide

I have the same problem  I set up my replacement orbi router and reset my 2 satellites and now all my devices ask for a username and password going to any website.  How can I fix this?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 2 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to have the devices forget the networks and connect to them again?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 42
Gwgfree
Initiate

Ultimately I had to reset the router and reinstall. No idea of underlying cause or any other solution.

Message 4 of 42

I have this issue and have reinstalled and rebooted with no success. It’s one problem after another with the Orbi, possibly the worst technology I’ve ever bought as it’s causing me regular and persistent stress.
Message 5 of 42
Localista
Initiate

I've been searching and have not found a satisfactory answer to the issue. I'm gald I'm not the only one encoutnering it. I had the ORBI Pro setup at my home with Spectrum internet service. No issues, simple install, worked great.

I bring ORBI Pro to my office, easy setup but have the websites are blocked. At the office we use AT&T Internet 50. When I sign in using the built in WIFI on the ATT modem all sites work perfectly. When I use ORBI, again, half the sites are blocked and ask for a user name and password.

I did a factory reset on both router and satelite. Same issue.

I also tried entering the orbi username and password when prompted at a random. blocked site with no success.

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 6 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Is the ATT modem at the office bridged?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 42
Localista
Initiate

Not sure how to "bridge" it. It's a BGW210-700

Message 8 of 42
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

If you can not bridge the modem are you running orbi in AP mode?

DarrenM

Message 9 of 42
ibuxton
Initiate

I am not a pro, but rather a home user.  I have Spectrum and they have done everything they can to assure a fast clear service at the house.  I purchased the ORBI to amplify the WiFi signal because Charter signal doesn't reach all over the house and they do not offer repeaters.  Now, If I am on the ORBI, all devices get blocked from websites or we see a no such file message.  The box that appears with some browsing attempts asking for a login is creepy and seems like someone is trying to hack me.  Doesn't seem to allow me past no matter what I do.  None of this happens on the Charter WiFi signal.  The crazy thing is that to download updates in case that would help requires (apparently) that I am on the ORBI signal and it blocks its own site!  Is this a boat anchor?  What can I do?  This equipment was originally installed at our home without problems.  We just moved (same service provider) and now we get this insane behavior.  Can anyone actually help?  I have read posts with similar complaints but no one seems to have a fix.

HELP! 

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

How is the Orbi connected to the ISP modem? Router mode or AP mode?

@ibuxton wrote:

I am not a pro, but rather a home user.  I have Spectrum and they have done everything they can to assure a fast clear service at the house.  I purchased the ORBI to amplify the WiFi signal because Charter signal doesn't reach all over the house and they do not offer repeaters.  Now, If I am on the ORBI, all devices get blocked from websites or we see a no such file message.  The box that appears with some browsing attempts asking for a login is creepy and seems like someone is trying to hack me.  Doesn't seem to allow me past no matter what I do.  None of this happens on the Charter WiFi signal.  The crazy thing is that to download updates in case that would help requires (apparently) that I am on the ORBI signal and it blocks its own site!  Is this a boat anchor?  What can I do?  This equipment was originally installed at our home without problems.  We just moved (same service provider) and now we get this insane behavior.  Can anyone actually help?  I have read posts with similar complaints but no one seems to have a fix.

HELP! 

Message 11 of 42
TimAUK
Tutor

This blocking issue has now happened to me, exactly as others describe. I can only assume Netgear knows what the answer is after 6 months?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 12 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem?

How is the Orbi connected to the ISP modem? Router mode or AP mode?

@TimAUK wrote:

This blocking issue has now happened to me, exactly as others describe. I can only assume Netgear knows what the answer is after 6 months?

Message 13 of 42
TimAUK
Tutor

Dear orbi users, unsurprisingly Netgear is pretending it doesnt know the answer which is of course ridiculous. However, my third party systems people worked it out in minutes. The issue is that despite claiming to be plug into your own router and play, ORBI decided to compete as a router with the existing BT router rather than remaining a wifi booster. In so doing the ORBI tried to issue new IP addreses to all the connected devices which wrecked connectivity. The solution was to change the ORBI set up to wifi booster only. This alllowed the existing BT router to re-establish the IP addresses for all devices including SKY devices.  I wont issue step by step guidance to avoid misleading but this approach fixed my network immediately. I hope this helps some of you!

Message 14 of 42
ibuxton
Initiate

How does one set the Orbi to WiFi boost only?
Message 15 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

ISP Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router. AP mode can be found under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/ Router and AP mode. 

Message 16 of 42
Mkus
Initiate

I had the same problem after getting new modem. Resetting and reinstalling everything solved the problem for me
Message 17 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked for you. Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Mkus wrote:
I had the same problem after getting new modem. Resetting and reinstalling everything solved the problem for me

Message 18 of 42
zawaprz
Initiate

So now Orbi is trying what??? Why on the planet it is so hard to set this system so it works as intended? It's not user friendly, and I will do everything to discouraged people from buying it... 'goog job' Netgear!!!

Message 19 of 42
TimAUK
Tutor

The frustrating thing is, once set up, the ORBI does work well.

As I mentioned earlier, the issue we had is the ORBI was competing with our existing BT (UK telecom) router to issue IP addresses to the components attached to the network, conflicting withe IP addresses the BT router was generating. The result was that we were being asked for passwords to sites that dont require them and in the end we were being blocked from ALL internet access. A local computer services company successfully reset the ORBI settings manually so that the ORBI no longer conflicted with the BT router, by essentially turning off the ORBI router capabilities, leaving it as a straight internal system and we have had no problems since.

What I find beyond belief is that dear old Netgear doesn't engage with the users on this with the ridiculous result that new buyers will be put off and they will have no sales! Come on Netgear, sort it out!

Message 20 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Most users have resolved this issue by doing a reset and setup from scratch. 

Other issues are with ISP modems already have built in routers. When this is the case these modems have to be either fully bridged or users need to configure the DMZ. If modems have built in routers, this causes NAT issues and connetion issues. This isn't NG's responsbility in this area. NG does give users the ability to use the Orbi in AP mode of they choose to or have a need to due to there ISP modems having built in routers and maybe limited and have limited access to the modems configuration. Also some modem router combo units may carry the same IP address, 192.18.1.1 and in most cased the Orib will auto detect this and assign something different during the setup wizard process. It's preferred to use stand alone modems when users choose to buy external routers like Orbi. Stand alone help mitigate lots of setup issues and double NAT conditions. However in most cases modem/routers work with Orbi if the DMZ on the modem is used. I've set this up many times and had zero issues with it. However, if I see a chance, I will bridge the modem if it supports it. 

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@TimAUK wrote:

The frustrating thing is, once set up, the ORBI does work well.

As I mentioned earlier, the issue we had is the ORBI was competing with our existing BT (UK telecom) router to issue IP addresses to the components attached to the network, conflicting withe IP addresses the BT router was generating. The result was that we were being asked for passwords to sites that dont require them and in the end we were being blocked from ALL internet access. A local computer services company successfully reset the ORBI settings manually so that the ORBI no longer conflicted with the BT router, by essentially turning off the ORBI router capabilities, leaving it as a straight internal system and we have had no problems since.

What I find beyond belief is that dear old Netgear doesn't engage with the users on this with the ridiculous result that new buyers will be put off and they will have no sales! Come on Netgear, sort it out!

Message 21 of 42
sdh20kie
Initiate

What the hell is the damn issue with this thing.   After so many people on this thread and others I've talked to have had the same issue, I can't believe Netgear hasn't sent an update to fix this.  Seems like a bunch of moron's running things and not understanding the issues of many.  Any ways, when trying to "reinstall" the router it now doesn't recognize the router but still shows the previous network name I created when first installing Orbi.  Please help me fix this before I sent this crap back.  Also, my ipad doesn't have issues with some sites but it won't allow me to update/download apps (Amazon echo for instance).  Also,  my amazon echo won't recognize the orbi system.  What a crap experience and I'm pretty advanced with technology.  Fix this crap rather than acting like every Help Desk employee and praying to god reinstalling or rebooting will magically fix the issue.  Done venting.  But please fix this or give me the specific direction's to fix this.  Thanks.

Message 22 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 23 of 42
sdh20kie
Initiate

It would help if your site allowed photos to be added so I can attach a screenshot from my iPhone.
Message 24 of 42
tarheelbf
Initiate

I believe I may have a possible solution for you. I was having the same problem after setting up my new hardware. I logged into the management console for the Orbi from a PC. There I updated the DNS settings to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. After doing so, I am no longer having this issue.
Message 25 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7