Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Blocking Websites

JerseyJack
Initiate

Hey folks, I was going down that path that someone recommended regarding how to configure my Orbi as a wireless access point (see here: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point) and when I logged into my Orbi using my iPhone (which was using the Orbi for wifi), I got a message that said (paraphrasing) "the Orbi has reconfigured its router address to avoid conflicts with your cable modem".  Once it did that, I tried connecting from a pc to one of the web sites that was asking for my credentials, and I got right through with no prompt!  Guessing the latest firmware helps fix this?  I'm running FW version 2.2.1.210.  Hope this helps!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

This would probably be due to your ISP modem already having a router built in and not FW related. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem your Orbi is connected too? 

@JerseyJack wrote:

Hey folks, I was going down that path that someone recommended regarding how to configure my Orbi as a wireless access point (see here: https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point) and when I logged into my Orbi using my iPhone (which was using the Orbi for wifi), I got a message that said (paraphrasing) "the Orbi has reconfigured its router address to avoid conflicts with your cable modem".  Once it did that, I tried connecting from a pc to one of the web sites that was asking for my credentials, and I got right through with no prompt!  Guessing the latest firmware helps fix this?  I'm running FW version 2.2.1.210.  Hope this helps!

Message 27 of 42
JerseyJack
Initiate

Actiontec MI424WR

Message 28 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Yep, router built in:

https://www.actiontec.com/products/wifi-routers-gateways/fiber/bhr-rev-i/

Reason way AP mode works on the Orbi. Your using the Actiontec as your router instead of the Orbi. 

@JerseyJack wrote:

Actiontec MI424WR

Message 29 of 42
TonyArenas
Initiate

So I called Netgear support and they told me what to do:

1) Have your device or computer logged into the network you have setup, then open a browser window. Type in www.orbilogin.net into the address bar and use "admin" fior the Username field, and type the password you created in the setup in the Password field.

2) You should see a screen popup with the newly created IP address and a button saying "Continue". Click on the button on the page and you should be redirected to a Netgear Dashboard for the Orbi.

3) Once you see the redirected dashboard screen, you should be able to open another browser tab or window and type in the web address you had a login screen for. You should now see the website instead of the login screen you saw before.

4) Enjoy the Orbi 🙂

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 30 of 42
Raven36
Aspirant

Thank you for the help! This fixed it for me! So frustrating, seemed so easy to set up, and my boys loved it, they could play on their iPads wherever in the house, but when we tried to click on links from Facebook, or update an iPhone, it wouldn’t let us. This fix, logging into the Orbilogin site and it manually adjusting the IP address to not conflict with the modem fixed it! Thank you! Hopefully Netgear fixes this in their next update.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 31 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The Orib automatically or should automatically change it's IP address to avoid an IP address conflict if you factory reset the Orbi and walked thru the setup wizard. 

Also, This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

Good Luck.

@Raven36 wrote:
Thank you for the help! This fixed it for me! So frustrating, seemed so easy to set up, and my boys loved it, they could play on their iPads wherever in the house, but when we tried to click on links from Facebook, or update an iPhone, it wouldn’t let us. This fix, logging into the Orbilogin site and it manually adjusting the IP address to not conflict with the modem fixed it! Thank you! Hopefully Netgear fixes this in their next update.

Message 32 of 42
Tuneladora
Aspirant

So eventually after trying to fix it rebooting and fiddling with it with the mobile app, I decided to used the laptop: as soon as I logged in, a message told me about a ISP conflict with the adsl router and that the system had to change it.

After that has been working with no problem
Message 33 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the change needs to be made with a PC or Laptop connected to the routers web page. Glad the change worked. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Tuneladora wrote:
So eventually after trying to fix it rebooting and fiddling with it with the mobile app, I decided to used the laptop: as soon as I logged in, a message told me about a ISP conflict with the adsl router and that the system had to change it.

After that has been working with no problem

Message 34 of 42
iflatow
Aspirant

Like many of you, I am stumped, too.  

Out of the blue one day, on my RBR 50, I was unable to log on to my very own email and website, wirelessly. I could plug directly into the cable modem and it would work. My cellphone could log in via data minutes.

I've tried configuring the Orbi as some suggested. Rebooted. Reinstalled.  Nothing works.

Traceroute shows me where the bottleneck is, i.e. which ISP is not passing the packets through but what good does that do me?  

I don't have a cable modem/router duo, so that cable modem is not sending DNS addresses that conflct with Orbi.

Some have suggested re-installing a previous firmware. I have the latest. Where would I find the last one that worked?

I"ve tried resetting the DNS to 8.8.8.8.  No dice.

The only thing THAT WORKS is using a VPN CONNECTION.  Isn't that weird?

I"ll be looking for another router solution pretty soon.

I so wanted this hardware to work...

Message 35 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Orbi is not blocking any sites for me...

@iflatow wrote:

Like many of you, I am stumped, too.  

Out of the blue one day, on my RBR 50, I was unable to log on to my very own email and website, wirelessly. I could plug directly into the cable modem and it would work. My cellphone could log in via data minutes.

I've tried configuring the Orbi as some suggested. Rebooted. Reinstalled.  Nothing works.

Traceroute shows me where the bottleneck is, i.e. which ISP is not passing the packets through but what good does that do me?  

I don't have a cable modem/router duo, so that cable modem is not sending DNS addresses that conflct with Orbi.

Some have suggested re-installing a previous firmware. I have the latest. Where would I find the last one that worked?

I"ve tried resetting the DNS to 8.8.8.8.  No dice.

The only thing THAT WORKS is using a VPN CONNECTION.  Isn't that weird?

I"ll be looking for another router solution pretty soon.

I so wanted this hardware to work...

Message 36 of 42
iflatow
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. To answer your questions.

Orbi: RBR50

ISP Modem: Arris TM1602 Cable Modem

ISP: Optonline.net

Firmware: 2.3.1.44

Orbi in Router Mode.

An IT troubleshoorter, upon hearing of my problems, had this interesting lead, about his ad blocking software he uses, called Pi-Hole, and how it he detected a block on my account.

>>>>>>>>>

"Basically Pi-Hole is an ad-ware blocking system that you install to protect your network, as opposed to individual machines.

All DNS requests on the network go through Pi-Hole for analysis.

You add pre-configured ‘blocklists’ to tell Pi-Hole what typical / suspected ad-serving domains to block.

On my setup I have over 60 different blocklist’s installed and when I tried to access your domain, Pi-Hole blocked it.

The Safari browser came up with the typical ‘Could not connect to server’ error message.

When I checked the logs, your domain appeared in x2 of my installed blocklists. 

Once I whitelisted your domain in Pi-Hole, you became ‘reachable’ for all the devices on my network. 

From your description of the issues you were having it seemed to me that Pi-Hole, or a similar mechanism, was at play somewhere on your network."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As I don't have Pi-Hole installed, I'm not sure it's on my end.

Bottom line: seems lots of folks are suffering from the same Orbi problem. Maybe it's a firmware upgrade issue. Maybe I need to wipe out and reinstall firmware from scratch instead of just upgrading it. 

Running a traceroute on my website: www.iraflatow.com, yields the packets being blocked at the same server all the time, as it times out: 

s97.n248.n204.n199.static.myhostcenter.net (199.204.248.97)  37.206 ms  40.564 ms  39.479 ms

Whatever it is, as long as I have my VPN working on my Opera web browser, I'm fine. Until I get annoyed enough to go to a newer, better mesh network. When Orbi came out, it was really the only game in town and it worked fine. .

But I appreciate your kind interest...as a lifelong geek...I would love to wriestle this to the grown..but life is too short. Smiley Frustrated

Message 37 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

If you don't have PiHole installed then it shouldn't be any issue with or with out VPN. I only have 1 user that uses VPN for work on the system at home. ALL others are non VPN and have access to full internet resources. 

Has a factory reset been performed since the FW update to v44? 

Have you powered OFF your ISP modem for 1 minuted then back on. Power OFF the RBR as well then back ON after the modem is re-synced with ISP services? 

I'm using a C7800 in modem mode with the RBR 50 connected in router mode. Not using any custome DNS. Auto detecting what I get from my ISP. Cableone. 

Message 38 of 42
iflatow
Aspirant

Have done all of your suggestions. Nothing works.

Perhaps there are special settings in the modem that I have not set correctly?

Message 39 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

The modem you have is just a modem. There is no built in router and wifi so it's not a gateway router. I see it has been discontinued from the Mfr. IT's based on a older TM model modem. Those were not the greatest modems. 

Do ou have phone service thru your ISP with this modem or just internet? 

Message 40 of 42
MHajian
Aspirant

I bought the Orbi and was working fine but today won’t let me open People magazine website. Won’t let me play movies in HBO app. Keeps saying no connection to internet but YouTube works fine

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 41 of 42
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@MHajian wrote:

I bought the Orbi and was working fine but today won’t let me open People magazine website. Won’t let me play movies in HBO app. Keeps saying no connection to internet but YouTube works fine

Message 42 of 42
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7