Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi CBR40 and RBK22 Can these work together?

ellaberq
Follower

Orbi CBR40 and RBK22 Can these work together?

Hello. 

My internet service is not great. We were advised by the tech guy at Costco to purchas the Orbi mini RBK22 (has router and satellite) and then to buy from amazon/online the Orbi CBR40. So I did that. Now I am trying to figure out if they can work together as it seems the CBR40 is a Modem/Router. Will I be able to use the mini router still? 

Thanks for any help. 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Orbi CBR40 and RBK22 Can these work together?

@ellaberq wrote:

My internet service is not great.  

Hard to know what a that means, so difficult to judge the advice you got. New hardware rarely fixes a poor internet service. That usually depends on the local network, not what you connect to it.

@ellaberq wrote:

We were advised by the tech guy at Costco to purchas the Orbi mini RBK22 (has router and satellite) and then to buy from amazon/online the Orbi CBR40.

Probably not the best advice. The CBR40 the "Orbi Whole Home WiFi System Built-in Cable Modem". It comes with its built-in own router, so suggesting that you also buy the RBK22 is nuts. All you needed were some more satellites if you wanmt better wifi.

As it is, the RBK22 comes with the RBR20 router, so you have two routers, which can cause serious headaches.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The only way to get the RBR20 to work with the CBR40 is probably to put the RBR20 into wireless access point mode. But that means that you will not get a true Mesh wifi network.

If it isn't too late, I'd return the RBK22 and buy some satellites, if you need, them to go with the CBR40.

There are other options, including getting rid of the CBR40 and buying a standalone modem only device that works with your ISP.

But the bottom line is that you may well have been badly advised.

For more thoughts on your predicament try visiting the appropriate section of this community:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

and

Orbi with Built-in Cable Modem - NETGEAR Communities

Good luck. You may need it.

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi CBR40 and RBK22 Can these work together?

The CBR40 and RBR20 will not work together as a wireless MESH system. You can connect the RBR20 in AP mode however it would be a separate wifi SSID system appart from the CBR. You can however configure the CBR40 for modem mode only, then connect the RBK22 system to it and this would be your main host router wifi system while the CBR is just the modem only. 

@ellaberq wrote:

Hello. 

My internet service is not great. We were advised by the tech guy at Costco to purchas the Orbi mini RBK22 (has router and satellite) and then to buy from amazon/online the Orbi CBR40. So I did that. Now I am trying to figure out if they can work together as it seems the CBR40 is a Modem/Router. Will I be able to use the mini router still? 

Thanks for any help. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7