Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi - Can't connect or update satellite-2 firmware - Router and Sat-1 versus Sat-2 version issue

ReadyMark
Tutor

Orbi - Can't connect or update satellite-2 firmware - Router and Sat-1 versus Sat-2 version issue

I have RBR50 router plus two RBS50 satellites. I have been running with only 1 satellite for about a year and now need to add the 2nd satellite. I tried to add the satellite but it won't connect. Magenta satellite ring when I tied to sync and admin info says backhaul "Poor" and connection type 5G. I've tried to connect in troubleshooting a few feet from the router to eliminate distance issue. After troubleshooting I realized the router and sat-1 were on firmware v2.21.210 and the older "new" satellite was still at oringinal v1.20.6

I tried to do manual update. I downloaded the current firmware RBS50-v2.21.210.img from Netgear site but each time I try to update I get message "This firmware file is incorrect! Please get the firmware file again and make sure it is the correct firmware for this product."

I have tried this many times with no success. Any suggestions?

I am using mac osx 10.12.6

Kind regards,

Mark

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - Can't connect or update satellite-2 firmware - Router and Sat-1 versus Sat-2 version issu

What you need to do is download a middle of the road version of FW for the Satellite, try RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.0.0.74.

If you can get the middle of the road version loaded, then manually apply the v210 version to the satellite. It should take this time. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi - Can't connect or update satellite-2 firmware - Router and Sat-1 versus Sat-2 version issu

What you need to do is download a middle of the road version of FW for the Satellite, try RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.0.0.74.

If you can get the middle of the road version loaded, then manually apply the v210 version to the satellite. It should take this time. 

Message 2 of 6
ReadyMark
Tutor

Thank you. I will try that. I have read many of the posts and did not see that suggestion prior. I was wondering if I had to go incrementaly up in the FW updates until reaching the current. 

I will report back if that works to be of help to others.

Cheers

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

It should. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
ReadyMark
Tutor

Many thanks for the solution of using the incremental approach of updating to RBS50 (Orbi Satellite) Firmware Version 2.0.0.74.

That worked perfectly and then synced up and fully updated to current version. Entire network is now working wonderfully.

Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7