Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi-Compatible Smart Plugs?

CrimpOn
Guru

I have no idea if this makes a difference (or not).  What I'm trying to say is that our phones and tablets automatically connect to any WiFi access point that they remember as soon as they wake up.  Turn it on, and it's connected to your WiFi in seconds.  Then, the Whirlpool app starts up, finds at least one Wirlpool access point (SSID starting with MICRO....) and tries to connect.  What does the phone say?  "Hey, I'm talkin' here!"  (Sorry, can't do the Brooklyn accent on the computer.)  "Butt out!"  Or, does the phone say, "well, heck, I guess I should disconnect from that WiFi and reconnect to this Whirlpool WiFi.  Hmmm. No Internet there, can't find a DNS, won't give me a DHCP, heck with this"  I have no idea.

I'm still hung up on WHY the Whirlpool app makes you go through this after you have used WPS to connect the appliance.  The appliance has an IP address, knows where the gateway is (192.168.1.1), knows where the DNS servers are, and can talk to Whirlpool all it wants.  I think the Whirlpool app should let you select the option, "Appliance ALREADY connected to Internet." and proceed to registering it.

Please let us know what Whirlpool says.

Message 26 of 38
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

@OzzzieMike

One crazy thought in an "if it was me" moment. I still have my old router. I also retained the same SSID from that router to the Orbi. I would drag out my Asus RT-AC68U, pull the internet plug on the Orbi, fire up the old unit, cycle my phone hook up. I can manipulate the Asus to broadcast bands how I want. I would then go through all the set up for the appliance knowing my phone was hooked up to the 2.4GHz signal. When done, hopefully the appliance would then hook up to the SSID 2.4GHz signal for the Orbi. Not sure if any of this is possible with you, but just wanted to let you know what I would try if all the other things had failed. Just a thought.

Message 27 of 38
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

Yeah...but even if I had my old router (Apple Airport Extreme) I don't think I had the ability to either separate the SSIDs between frequencies or turn off the 5GHz band (but it's been quite a while since I dug into that...might be wrong).

The puzzling thing to me is that even though the phone and microwave are on the 2.4GHz network, somehow the Whirlpool app (or my phone?) thinks they're on different networks. (I think this is what's happening...no idea if that's truly the case or not).

What will be interesting (to me, anyway) is how the setup goes with the TP Link Kasa smart plug that should arrive later this evening.  It, too, is a 2.4GHz device, but was recommended here, so I'm thinking it should connect just fine to the Orbi. And if this device connects (and I can talk to it thru the app on my phone that's connected to the 5GHz band) then what do they do differently?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 28 of 38
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

LOL...I'd no sooner finished posting my last message than the doorbell rang, and my TP-Link Kasa smart plug was delivered.

15 minutes after delivery this plug is now configured and works fine. (Using it to control our christmas tree lights). (Would have been quicker but it had to update the firmware on the plug).

And, although the plug is on the 2.4GHz band and my phone is on the 5GHz band, the setup was flawless, including linking it to our Amazon Echo.

So, obviously, TP-Link knows something Whirlpool doesn't! 

Message 29 of 38
kolella
Apprentice

I've never used Whirlpool but can confirm that KASA (tp-link), MEROSS (very nice products) and SMART LIFE compatible devices (most chinese plugs) work with Orbi (used in AP mode).
Message 30 of 38
OzzzieMike
Apprentice

OK...just got off the phone with Whirlpool, and I'm now able to connect to the appliance via the app on my iPhone.  I was told their engineers did something at their end...but what exactly was done I've no idea.

Prior to calling them, of course, I had turned off the 5GHz radio on the Orbi, and ensured my iPhone was connected to the 2.4GHz band.

The support tech did notice some things weren't exactly right with what I was seeing in the app, and was told they'd be back in touch with me once they sort that out.

So now, after a mere 6 months, the microwave connects to my iPhone as designed!

Message 31 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

Like you, my TP-Link Mini Smart Plug 105 arrived. Used my Android phone (on 5G), downloaded Kasa app, and in 15 minutes the smart plug is working.  Total breeze.  I like that it takes up only a single wall outlet, leaving the other free.  Am not thrilled about the "snap" sound it makes when turning on and off (guess it's a mechanical relay of some sort).  I use a wireless switch for the Christmas tree (so the gradkids can "blow" and turn the tree off at night), but I'll find a use somewhere.

Message 32 of 38
AC641
Luminary

MEROSS smart plugs work extremely well and 100% reliably for me - I have 3 of them.

Message 33 of 38
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Agree that the relatively soft selonoid trip with the Kasa plugs and switches was a bit of a surprise for me, but I presume since they decded to use a mehanical switch it was for the sake of reliability. Due to the current they are rated for and potentially could carry, electronic switches such as in light bulbs - that are a known and consistent wattage - might not handle current that was put through a wall switch or outlet. I installed a couple of wall switches (again, the set up of the switch itself - other than the physical installation - was a breeze and connected with no problem to the Orbi network) and both have a very muted activation sound but it is not really audible unless you are right next to the switch.

Message 34 of 38
MiguelitoWill
Aspirant

I found a simple solution to this issue.  I purchased a $20 tp-link 2.4 Ghz extender (TL-WA855RE).  It must be the 2.4 Ghz only.  It cannot be a dual or tri band extender.  

Teather or sync up the extender with the orbi using the mobile app.  Then select the tp-link extender as your wifi network when you want to set up your smart home products.  In my case it was the feit light bulbs.  

Worked perfectly and very easy to set up.  

Hope this helps.  

Message 35 of 38
ZeroAuthority
Aspirant

What model of TP Link Kasa outlet?
Message 36 of 38
DanWMIAMI
Aspirant

I just purchased and put into use the TP Link Kasa plugs. Very easy set-up and working very well with my RBR50/RBS50. Appreciate the recommendation from another poster. My previous iHome plunges were rendered unusable when I installed the However, they worked on their existing schedule, although could not control with my phone, until the Kasa plugs arrived.

Very happy with them.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 37 of 38
CrimpOn
Guru

I like the TP-Link Kasa plugs and the Aukey plugs.  Found the Belkin Wemo "too big".  Was the Orbi set up with exactly the same SSID and password as the previous WiFi?  If so, I am surprised that the app was unable to manage them.  Once connected, the plug talks only to "the cloud" (usually Amazon Web Services, but some manufacturers have chosen different "clouds").

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7