Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Configuration

dmabo
Aspirant

Orbi Configuration

I like the product but there are two decisions that Netgear has made that causes me issues.  WHY?

1. Having the same SSID for 2.4 and 5 GB bands. In the past I had one for each and it was much easier to pick the right band for each device.

2. Having the same channel on 2.4 for the base and the satellite.

I choose you over some other products for the AP/bridge mode option. As a network pro I have a lot of equipment both wired and wireless. These design choices that Netgear has made make it harder to recommend this product.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi Configuration

1. Is required for seamless roaming and complete home coverage with only 2-3 APs.

2. Why is this an issue for you?  Seems to work well enough.

Message 2 of 3
dmabo
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Configuration

I have equipment that does not like this configuration.  In the past I had two HP comercial access points, one for 5 GhZ and one for 2.4.  Each had a unique name.  As I installed devices link ring doorbells and Canary cameras on the outside of my house, I needed more coverage.  At one time I had an TP-link AP connected via power over ethernet to cover these devices with a unique SSID.  My goal in installing a whole house system was to have a simliar solution.  But not being able to choose the WiFi band has caused problems and causes the devices to go offline.  

I am the only neighbor who uses 5 GhZ, so I do not get the issues with other access points, but I need to be able to force devices to choose it.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7