Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Connection Drops - Selective Routing

SebFerraro
Aspirant

Orbi Connection Drops - Selective Routing

Hi I have the following setup:

RBK40 AC2200 Router - Firmware V2.3.5.32

RBS40 AC2200 Satellite - Firmware V2.3.5.32

RBS53 AC3000 Satellite - Firmware V2.5.1.8 (Purchased separately to extend range)

I currently have Server1 hardwired into RBS50. I have PC1 wirelessly connected to RBS50. Sometimes what will happen is PC1 will lose all connections which would have been forward routed from RBS50. For instance nothing external (internet) will load. BUT I can still remote desktop to Server1.

Here's the weird part. When I remote to Server1, and open a web browser, everything works! I can browse the web etc. So it's almost like the satellite is selectively routing the traffic for some strange reason. This doesn't just happen with the RBS50 satellite, it also happens with the other satellite and also just the router (though not as frequently with the router itself). I've tested this by turning them all on/off individuall and ensuring that the ranges didn't cross.

Can anyone shed any light as to what the problem might be?

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Connection Drops - Selective Routing

@SebFerraro wrote:

RBR40 AC2200 Router - Firmware V2.3.5.32

RBS40 AC2200 Satellite - Firmware V2.3.5.32

RBS50 AC3000 Satellite - Firmware V2.5.1.8 (Purchased separately to extend range)

I currently have Server1 hardwired into RBS50. I have PC1 wirelessly connected to RBS50. Sometimes what will happen is PC1 will lose all connections which would have been forward routed from RBS50. For instance nothing external (internet) will load. BUT I can still remote desktop to Server1.

Made some minor adjustment to the mobel numbers.  (I'm OCD. Can't help it. "K" stands for "Kit" containing more than one device, and "53" indicates one router and two satellites).

The router is in "router mode", correct?  (not Access Point).

All devices are getting IP's from the router using DHCP? (no device has a "static IP" defined on the device)

With only a single "router", everything in the Orbi LAN is in a single, "layer 2" broadcast domain.  Orbi satellites are like dumb switches. They forward packets based on MAC address.

My suspicion is that PC1 has a subnet mask that does not match the Orbi.

Message 2 of 4
SebFerraro
Aspirant

Hi there. Thanks for the corrections on model numbers.

Yes the router is in Router mode.

All static IPs are defined under the 'Reserved Addresses' table within Setup -> LAN Setup.
Server 1 has a reserved address. Both Satellites also have reserved addresses.

Subnet should be 255.255.255.0 based on CIDR of 192.168.1.0/24

I have confirmed both PC1 and Server1 are assigned the correct subnet. This only seems to happen for maybe 10-20 minutes per day. Enough to be annoying but not enough to diagnose exactly what's happening.

Usually power cycling all of the equipment fixes it.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@SebFerraro wrote:

This only seems to happen for maybe 10-20 minutes per day. Enough to be annoying but not enough to diagnose exactly what's happening.

Usually power cycling all of the equipment fixes it.

Intermittant problems are really hard to tackle.  ("Nice problems" are those that can be reproduced at will.)

More data is needed.

This single PC is the only affected device?

Power cycling only the PC does restore service?

When it happens the next time, can you collect the typical IP information?

(at a DOS prompt, enter "ipconfig /all" (no quotes)

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7