Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Coverage Question

StevedoreNJ
Aspirant

Orbi Coverage Question

I'm considering either the Orbi RBK23 Performance Wi-Fi system or the RBK50 Ultra Performance system for our home.  Looking at both on Amazon.

The RBK23 has 3 units & claims 6000 sq ft of coverage, while the RBK50 has 2 units claiming 5000 sq ft of coverage, but faster speeds.  I'm wondering about the location of each unit in our house, which is 2 stories, about 3300 sq ft, & 80 ft long.  The most convenient location for 2 units would be about 25 ft from one end of the house, one upstairs & one downstairs.  Could I expect to get a decent signal at the farther end of the house?  The RBK23 claims more square footage of coverage, and having 3 units would allow me to put the 3rd one somewhere in the longer section, so I'm wondering if that might be a better solution.

Both of these systems are under $300, which is in my "comfort zone".

Thanks for any comments, replies, etc.  

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

If -and only if- you can keep the RBK50's Router and Satellite around 30 ft from each other then I would go for that option, for the following reasons:

1. The RBK50 has a better backhaul capacity (1.7 Gbps vs. 867 Mbps in the RBK23)
  2. In a mesh system, the less units you have the better, since you will have less interference from the units on each other, as all units operate on the same frequency.
  3. The RBK50 has bigger and better antennas providing better fronthaul and backhaul radios.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
StevedoreNJ
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!

The main unit would be on the ground floor, and the satellite would be almost directly above on the 2nd floor, but about 10 ft further towards the rear of the house; definitely within 30 ft.  What I'm most concerned about is getting a good signal to the end of the house with our main TV & Roku; about 50 ft from the Orbi main unit.  Is 50 ft too far?

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

50 is with in range. Depending upon building materials. Concete and metal will effect wifi signal. Wood and sheet rock, not so much. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 6
StevedoreNJ
Aspirant

Thanks for the comments; I think I'll go with the RBK50.  Worst case, if I can't get good coverage everywhere, I'll buy another satellite.

I should have it in a couple of days, and will be back here when I have problems setting it up. Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can do with the out the faster backhaul, the 3 unit Orbi maybe more flexible over the RK50 which only comes with 1 satelilte. Haveing additional satellites will give you more options and placements. 

Try either one. You can always send it back if it doesn't suit your needs. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7