Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Custom DNS

mgeorgy
Tutor

Orbi Custom DNS

I use a local DNS server to serve a local zone within my LAN.  When I use this server as the DNS server in the Orbi the DHCP lease still includes the Orbi's IP as the default.  Is there a way to NOT have the Orbi use it's LAN IP as the DNS Server?

I realize this is to allow users to use the http://orbilogin.com feature, but this is not something I will be using in my configuration.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Custom DNS

By default, the Orbi receives your ISP DNS servers vi DHCP. It then has a local caching DNS server (dnsmasq) that forwards requets to the upstream server(s).

If you override the DNS servers in Advanced -> Setup -> Internet Setup, you can have the Orbi forward DNS queries to your internal nameserver instead.

As for the majic that makes "orbilogin.com" DNS work, I haven't quite figured that out, TBH. I have my laptop explicitly cofigured to use my upstream ISP DNS servers, but orbilogin.com *still* works. I suspect they are doing some sort of packet inspection/rewriting of DNS queries coming through the Orbi to make that work, but i'm not sure yet. Now that I'm looking at that, though, I am very curious to see how they are doing that, and if it can be disabled if someone chose to...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7