Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi DHCP Range

jizzles
Aspirant

Orbi DHCP Range

I have my Orbi configured on a /21 subnet, I want to be able to configure the third octet of the DHCP range but seem to be able to from the web interface. Is this possible?

Thanks

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi DHCP Range

As you may have noticed, the DHCP configuration entries allow the user to specify the start and end IP's in the 4th octet.  (The first three octets are greyed out.)  My understanding is that this creates a maximum pool of 255 DHCP addresses.

There is an article in the Knowledge Base that gives advice about number of client devices: https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support  In that article, Netgear says "about 250" devices, but warns thata too many will impact performance.

Note that you can change the third octet of the subnet mask to /21.  That would allow you a maximum of 255 DHCP assignments and allow you to use static IP's for the other devices.

You probably have a good reason for wanting more devices.  Care to share what it is?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

As you may have noticed, the DHCP configuration entries allow the user to specify the start and end IP's in the 4th octet.  (The first three octets are greyed out.)  My understanding is that this creates a maximum pool of 255 DHCP addresses.

There is an article in the Knowledge Base that gives advice about number of client devices: https://kb.netgear.com/31097/How-many-devices-can-my-Orbi-system-support  In that article, Netgear says "about 250" devices, but warns thata too many will impact performance.

Note that you can change the third octet of the subnet mask to /21.  That would allow you a maximum of 255 DHCP assignments and allow you to use static IP's for the other devices.

You probably have a good reason for wanting more devices.  Care to share what it is?

Message 2 of 3
jizzles
Aspirant

Thanks @CrimpOn, That's a really useful answer!

I actually don't have more than 250 devices, but I'm using the third octect to virtually organise them. Static addresses are a huge headache in 2019 so I have given all my known devices reservations in their respective range within the /21, and I wanted to change the DHCP to accomodate an "unknown" group; to be specific, not on the same 'subnet' (if I were actually to break down the /21 to /24s and /25s) as the Orbis. I have solved this by bumping the range to x.x.x.200-254 and keeping the orbis on x.x.x.1-3, so my particular problem is solved. Thanks for your help! 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7