Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi DHCP address reservation is ignored

rjdennison
Aspirant

Orbi DHCP address reservation is ignored

Orbi is ignoring DHCP address reservations. My IP range is set to 192.168.x.2 -> 192.168.x.254, and the new reservation is within this range (192.168.x.11). 

I've tried renewing the lease, restarting the machine... everything. And the orbi keeps handing out x.44. This makes no sense to me.

I saw the "solved" solution to this problem which is to change the range to x.100 -> x.200. That "solution" is closed, so I can't point out that it's an UNACCEPTABLE solution. Which should I cut my range of IP addresses by 60%? If that solves the problem, then that's not a solution - that's a BUG that needs to be fixed.

I'm hoping Netgear solves this bug in a firmware update soon.

SIDE RANT: This is really a great example of why 3rd party firmwares are far better than OEM solutions. The manufacturers make money by selling routers, not constantly improving hardware that is already purchased.

Community-driven firmware is constantly improved and gives so much life to hardware that is no longer supported by the manufacturer. Netgear gives 90d of "free" support....

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
ekhalil
Master

Re: Orbi DHCP address reservation is ignored

1. What is the machine that you're trying to reserve DHCP IP address for please?

Can it be that you're reserving the IP address for the wrong MAC address? Some devices have multiple MAC addresses for different interfaces.

2. Have you clicked on Apply after adding the IP reservation? Orbi Router needs to be rebooted after adding the IP address reservation.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7