Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi : DHCP option 6 (DNS Servers)

sbouges
Follower

Orbi : DHCP option 6 (DNS Servers)

Hello,

It's not possible to configure any DHCP server option on ORBI router. I have an internal DNS server on my Synology NAS with internal DNS zones such as "home.local" and "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa". Nevertheless, there is not way to configure my ORBI Router to point to this internal DNS server in order to resolve intranet DNS names/IPs (in addition to internet DNS names/IPs).

Can you please consider this new functionality (and generaly speaking the possibility to modify standards DHCP Server options on ORBI router: 6 / DNS Servers, 15 / Domain Name, etc ) in a future release of the firmware?

Thanks in advance...

Best Regards,

Stephane BOUGES.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi : DHCP option 6 (DNS Servers)

Hello sbouges

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now you could us another router and run orbi in AP mode.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
brettmeek
Aspirant

?

Message 3 of 7

if you wish this feature added , as this is not a fix issue per say but one of an added feature

plz post your idea in the link below and ask ppl to vote for it

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

if enough ppl agree then the orbi team will take notice

Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: ?

@brettmeek According to the user manual, you should be able to specify up to three custom DNS servers by IP address under Internet Setup. Won't that work for you?

Message 5 of 7
MisterHing
Initiate

So, I lost a good couple of hours trying to figure this out. The NetGear ORBI doesn't allow for the use of internal/private ip's for DNS. HOWEVER, the UI allows you to enter them without erroring or warning.

After doing some digging and debuging, this is silly. After doing some digging, it appears that the Orbi is doing it's own DNS proxying. By doing so it allows them to to hijack DNS so that they can have control over it for some of their features. 

PLEASE NETGEAR FIX THIS. Pretty please. Pretty preatty please.

Lots of people run internal

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 6 of 7
SevenRaz
Guide

Yes, DNS needs to be corrected, this is interferring with my internal network settings.  Right now it does not allow the resolution of internal domain names.  Even when ORBI is setup in AP mode, it still disrupts normal DNS activity. Please remove all DNS proxy from this device.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7