Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi DNS Disconnecting

mtlam
Guide

Orbi DNS Disconnecting

Hi everyone,

I'm already in contact with support about this issue but wanted to see if you guys could give me some input on my current issue.

So this issue occurs on the satellite units whether I have the router in AP or router mode it still affects it. Everytime I use torrents, it causes the DNS to crash and renders the satellite unable to connect to the network but is still connected to the Orbi Router. The router itself doesn't have any issues I can browse the net etc. For the satellite units, I need to turn it on and off or change a setting that would reset the backhaul connection for the satellite to work again.

This is all on the latest firmware.

Hoping you guys could give some input thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
Heiruspecs
Guide

Are you handling your torrents on your local computer or a NAS, etc? Is the torrent program set to use a specific DNS server and/or assigned IP by a any chance that may come in conflict with the satellite?

Else, the classic factory reset of all your networking products might do the trick (external router, included).

Also, check for MAC-adress clones in your network (rare, but it happens).

Message 2 of 7
mtlam
Guide

The torrents are being handled on a local computer connected to the satellite. I've tried utorrent and qbittorrent to rule out client specific issues and settings wise, I do not specify a dns for the clients to use. I've checked the client list and attached devices list to see if there is a conflict in IP but there is none.

Yeah I've done that several times and even rolled back firmware on the units to rule out if a specific update was causing this.

No MAC-Address clones in my network either.

One thing though, when both satellite lose connection after starting a torrent if I turn one of the satellite off the other will come back up.

Message 3 of 7
Heiruspecs
Guide

On your main router that is handling the routing/DHCP, reserve IP addresses for your satellites.

Turn off your routers wifi (with Orbi router in AP-mode).

Make sure MU-MIMO and beaming is turned off.

Also, is your router well-placed? What lastly did the trick for me and my Orbi troubles was placing the router in the center of the house, away from any concrete walls (had it in my living room earlier, along with most of my devices). Never had any drops in quality before with that placement, but Orbi did not approve!
Message 4 of 7
mtlam
Guide

I think assigning a static ip to the satellite unit might've done the trick. I'll have to keep stressing the network and see if it still disconnects or not.

My router's wifi is off and MU-MIMO and beaming is off.

Router is placed in my living room with the two satellites on the second floor.

Message 5 of 7
Heiruspecs
Guide

I’m glad it works!

Keep me updated if they start acting up again!
Message 6 of 7
mtlam
Guide

It did make it a lot more stable though I still get disconnects after stressing it from time to time. I wonder if theres still some ip conflict still going on.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7