Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi DNS priority

des421
Tutor

Orbi DNS priority

RBK50, 1 satelite, both with latest firmware (2.1.4.10). So much for assumption. You would think that primary/secondary/third DNS addresses were prioitized? I.E. the device would try to use the primary unless it wasn't responding, etc.?

I added a local DNS Server (filter actually, Pi-Hole). And made it's local IP the primary DNS. rolling down the previous top 2 to secondary & third. Arguing to myself this would provide autobackup when/if the Raspberry Pi was re-boot or failed. This alternate DNS service would initially come and go, but with the network always functioning? It finally dawned on me that the Orbi was just not always using the Primary DNS address. Removing the Secondary & Third addresses solved this issue. But without leaving the router without any alternatives when/if the Raspberry Pi is off line. I'm hoping Netgear will pick up on this issue? What's the point of having a "Primary" if it's not used as such?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi DNS priority

Message 2 of 4
TheEther
Guru

I'm pretty sure Netgear uses dnsmasq.  The default behavior of dnsmasq is to query any of the servers it knows about.  This would explain the behavior you are seeing.  dnsmasq does have a strict order option.  Maybe you can ask Netgear to offer it as an option in their Idea Exchange for Home forum.

Message 3 of 4
des421
Tutor

Done! Thanks: DES

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements